Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic 

Nellie Sterling, Psychic
Nellie Sterling
 Posted: Dec 31st 2013, 03:45 AM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kay
67 Posts
Heterosexual
Taken

User Group
Gifted
Sexuality
Heterosexual
Occupation
Queen of Errosed
Aliases
Erros Names: Rowna Chasing-Horse, Row, Nellie | Earth Names: Nell, Angel, Sunshine, Boss | Errosed War Name: Ghost
Face Claim
Saorise Ronan
Nellie Rowna Sterling
Separate my soul, watch as you expose
All this violence, out of control
Cancer in my bones, you won’t let me go
So it’s you I sever
Physical Description
Nellie stands at the short height of five foot three, making her the shortest person in her family because of her extensive medical history with drugs for her illnesses. She’s also the palest and thinnest of the Sterling bunch for obvious reasons. Her blue eyes and dirty blonde hair had been features that she got from her mother and she’s very proud of them. Despite her frail and fragile looking frame, people often think that that Nellie is a beautiful individual. She does not indulge in the uses of make up as she finds that it is much too difficult to put on for a daily use. However if she were to go out with a group of friends or even on a date, Nellie would get dolled up.

Her style of clothing often depends on the kind of mood that she’s in. If she’s not feeling well, she’ll wear sweat pants, hoodies, and put her hair up into a messy bun. But if she’s feeling well, upbeat, Nellie generally puts on clothing that is form fitting to her body frame. Or if she’s in the business type mood (meaning she’s going to go and have a business meeting with others), she’ll dress up in dress pants, a nice blouse, a blazer, and then do her hair and makeup. On the rare occasions that Nellie needs to travel to Istari is really the only occasion that anyone would find her in some kind of dress. Because she finds the pants like clothing on Istari uncomfortable, Nellie goes into the other world wearing a dress while also managing to stray away from those dresses that have corsets.

It is safe to assume that Nellie will always be wearing her Alex and Ani bracelets that she has collected, one for the college that she had gone too, one for her favorite football team, and a couple that protect from being possessed by demons or cursed. Even when she’s traveling into Istari, Nellie refuses to remove the bracelets because of her attachment too them (and she also feels naked not wearing them). The one bracelet that she cannot take off no matter is her stylish medical bracelet that allows EMT’s to see what kind of conditions she has, what medicines she’s taking and what she’s allergic too so that they don’t accidentally kill her.

» Warm weather

» Drawing/painting/sketching etc

» Anything that doesn’t move on her plate

» All kinds of music

» Going for long walks

» Staying up late

» Running a bar

» Alex & Ani bracelets

» TokiDoki – A Japanese merchandise of little unicorn figurines and accessories

Dislikes
» Doctors/Hospitals

» Medication

» Flashing/bright lights

» Her powers

» VAMPIRES

» Monsters – including some humans

» Cooking

» Being cold (which happens all the time)

» Giving people second chances, but does it anyway

» People who hover

Strengths
» Intelligence

» Knowledge of creatures on Earth and Istari

» Quick and witty

» Her powers

» Goal-oriented

» Determined

» Strong-willed

» Independent

» Her dog

» Friends & Family

Weaknesses
» Stress – causes seizures

» Brain tumor – causes some short term memory loss

» Eye sight – is going blind because of the tumor

» Flashing/Bright lights – can induce a seizure

» Seizures

» Medications – dizziness, fatigue, nausea, weight loss, loss of appetite

» Her dog

» Family & Friends

» Innocent people (those who don’t know about Istari/creatures

Goals
» Have the biggest Toki-Doki collection

» Have a family

» Eventually have her tumor removed

» Pass down the ownership of the bar to family or to a friend

» Live life to the fullest

» Have efficient control over her powers

Fears
» Losing people she loves

» Becoming blind

» Dying alone

» Tumor medication no longer working

» Her tumor turning cancerous

Personality
Being the youngest of a family of five and having two older brothers meant that not only did Nellie have to be tough, but she needed to have quick and effective wit and often outsmart her brothers. This kind of behavior developed a part of Nellie that enjoys pranking people, those that have a close relationship with her that is. Also, having two older brothers forced Nellie into having a voice. She often speaks up for herself and if she’s got an opinion on something, you bet she’ll voice it with no regard really on how others are going to think of her. Which ties into another part of her personality, Nellie literally does not give a damn what people on the outside of the box think of her because life is too short to spend wasting time on feeble issues.

Being from a family that supports hunters means that Nellie has some trust issues, and like the rest of her family, it often takes a while for her to trust you. Once she does though, it’s hard to shake yourself from her grasp. Nellie has a tendency to hold onto those that she cares about in high regard because she has an irrational fear of losing people. And because of this she goes out of her way to make sure that those that she does care for and trust have everything that they need of her. However this often leaves Nellie wide open for disappointment because most of the time, she sort of expects the same kind of treatment back from her friends and often expects too much out of others because she is so willing to sacrifice everything for people. Nellie’s also a loyal person and would be that person that you could trust would pick up their phone at four o’clock in the morning. She’s also caring and empathic to those that she comes across.

Because of her brain tumor and the fear that one day it’s going to become cancer, Nellie lives in the moment. Every day she treats as a new kind of adventure, always having fun. She can also be really flirty with everyone and anyone as she views it as having a good time. Nellie also doesn’t shy away from one-night stands. Best part about it all, she doesn’t care because she knows that one day, this tumor is going to take her life, and she wants to be able to be on her death bed, smile, and say to herself that she lived her life to the fullest. Because of her newfound outgoing personality, people of all kinds of personality types are often drawn to her. She’s fun and hopes to bring smiles onto the faces of others. Nellie’s also a very protective person and often times that can drive people away from her. However she has never gotten physically violent when it came to protecting those that she cares for because she could cut someone down to size with her quick and harsh tongue. This works for her because she generally doesn’t like getting involved in fights. She’s a woman of a good heart and soul who’s also good with damage control, for others anyway.

In the work environment however, Nellie’s a true leader. People have often told her that she has authoritarian aspect of her that makes people want to listen to her and do as she says, and she takes that as a compliment as she knows that this is a reason why her bar have been so successful. However because she mostly employs hunters, she generally has to lay down the law with a firm hand to show that just because they are hunters she would have no problem with firing them. Although it sounds like Nellie’s a dictator when it comes to work, she’s also compassionate and understanding and knows that because she has people that often take off without notice; she tries her hardest to make their experience at her bar as pleasant as it can be. She even pays hunters over minimum wage and allows them to keep any tips that they personally make without having to split with the rest of the staff so that they can have a little bit extra floating around in their pockets.

After the war, Nellie’s mental psyche took a hard hit. Her relationship with Rykar moved faster than she wanted (though she’s ridiculous happy being married to him) and she found herself having to completely uproot herself to Errosed, something that she’s not particularly happy about considering her attachment to Earth. Not only that, but because of the overuse of her powers, Nellie’s health condition declined drastically. That surprisingly hit her hard because she worked so hard to get to the spot that she was in before the war, because she’s not entirely sure if she’s has the strength to do it again. However, being with Rykar gives her that motivation to continue going to appointments and doing what she needs to do to be back in her prime condition.

History
Rowna was the third and last child born to the Chasing-Horse family in Errosed, the two before her having been boys named Dax (the middle child) and Avery (the oldest). The proud parents Alphonse and Remi Chasing-Horse lived in a large city just outside the palace gates. Their family’s last name “Chasing-Horse” was given to them long ago when their family rounded up horses for a living and often chasing the horses in the fields.

However the family had moved on from that title as they are now business people, running a stable where people could board their horses when they did not have a home for them. Alphonse was also an elite warrior for the kingdom with his young son Avery just starting out in the army, leaving Remi and Dax to tend for the horses and little Rowna, who was beginning to prove to be difficult. But not in a colicky sense, Rowna was always sick. Her mother took her to see their village doctor who did their best for the young child, but the illnesses were something that the doctor had never seen before, and there was not much help that could be provided. The doctor simply told Rowna’s parents that they will try to help as much as they can, but soon she will be soaring with the Great Stallion.

Not able to accept that as an answer, Rowna’s parents looked towards a Master (one lived in every major city outside of the palace) for help. The family told them about their daughter’s plight and while the Master did agree that she would soon join the Great Stallion, he offered them an alternative. He informed the worried family of the gates in Istari, gates that lead to a bigger and wider place where they may be able to help their sick child. Quickly the family agreed to go to this new place, but the master had told them that they needed to take it slow. That the world on the other side of the gate was vast, new, and strange to them all. Knowing that his knowledge was great, the family agreed and went on frequent trips with him to Earth, in which they promised themselves that if Rowna survived the wait, they were to move quickly to Earth and get her the help that she needed.

While they were making trips to Earth, Alphonse was quick in wanting to learn the ways of business there. He was a hands-on learner. After spending a night out, he noticed that many of the people of Earth enjoy themselves in what they call bars the equivalent to a tavern in Errosed. The family knew that they were going to need money in order to start some kind of business like that. So they traded their horses, stable business, home and small plot of land in the Errosed city for a decent amount of gold. With the help of the master (after trading gold to him for the help), Alphonse went to Earth and exchanged the gold for money, opened a bank account, rented out a bar space in Boston Massachusetts (a city they chose by the master’s recommendation because of their great children’s and adult hospitals), and got to work on getting the bar. They used all of the money to renovating the space, getting supplies, and the proper permits and other various paperwork for the bar to become official.

By the time that they arrived on Earth permanently, Rowna was almost a year old. Earth medicine helped little Rowna. But for the rest of her life, little Rowna was in out of hospitals riddled with sicknesses. At two years old, she was diagnosed with cancer, but luckily they got the cancer in time for them to be able to safely remove it. However the more hospital visits that the Chasing-Horse family made, the more that they began to realize that it was getting expensive and they needed to do something about it.

However the more that Nellie went to the hospital, the more expensive it got. Soon they were realizing that there was more money going out rather than coming in. The struggle for money forced the Chasing-Horse family out of a comfortable apartment that fit their large family into a much smaller place that wasn’t so comfortable and frequently, their utilities got turned off. The struggle for money had actually forced Avery to drop out of public school and pick up several steady jobs and several odd jobs. He was able to provide insurance for Nellie, which helped with the medical payments, but it was too expensive to cover anyone else. Alphonse also picked up several more jobs (since Remi had to stay home and care for Nellie and wasn’t able to get a job) and Dax did what he could for jobs for a boy his age (most he was doing was a lot of yard work for those that had a yard in the city and shoveling people’s walkways in the harsh winters). The insurance didn’t cover everything that needed to be paid for little Nellie, but they were able to agree on a payment plan with the hospital on the things that were not covered. So the money that they made from the bar went towards hospital payments for Nellie and the money that came from Avery, Dax, and Alphonse’s work went towards the needs of the family. But even with the Chasing-Horse men working, they still struggled to make ends meet and a few times, the family had to live in a shelter.

While staying on Earth, the family adopted Earth-like last names, as people often confused them for Native Americans because of their last name. So in agreement, the family took on Sterling as a name. It was modern enough to separate themselves from the Native Americans, but stayed true to their heritage as sterling silver is a color of some horses from Errosed. Rowna however had been the only one to decide to change her whole name. She had a nickname that she got from her brothers, Nellie, and had decided that she wanted her name to be Nellie and her middle name Rowna. Her parents, finding her reasoning to be good enough, changed her name.

It wasn’t until Nellie turned nine years old did it seem like things were beginning to get a little more under control. Nine years after its establishment, the bar was beginning to bring in more money (although it had its bad days) and with Nellie’s hospital and doctor visits not as frequent as before the family was able to make a bigger dent in the medical bills. Avery could even do without an extra job (but he kept it anyway from nine years of needing to continually work and provide for his family). Also Dax and Nellie were doing well in school. Life was calming down and the road was smooth.

That is until it was Family Movie Night, which is what they did once a week as they had settled into the ways of Earth. On their way home from the movie, the family had been ambushed by a group of hunting vampires. The vampires forced Dax and nine year old Nellie to watch as they slaughtered their parents in front of their eyes, and just as they went in for the kill on the children, a hunter by the name of Jeremiah came in to their rescue.

The hunter, usually dumping children at police stations, stayed because of their history from Istari and waited for the brother to return from an overnight shift, who hurried upon receiving the phone call from Jeremiah about what happened. Even after Avery had arrived home, Jeremiah stuck around a little longer seeing as how Nellie had been in the hospital after the attack occurred (from the stress and trauma effecting her frail body). It took a few more weeks for Jeremiah to finally move on, but he left an imprint on the Sterling family, and they left an imprint on him.

With Nellie back in the hospital and Dax not old enough to work in the bar, Avery was forced to quit his jobs and return home to care for his siblings, which meant that money was tight again. But with the left over money from his parents’ insurance policies (after burying them) he had enough to cover several medical payments and renovate the basement of the bar putting in a hunter’s shop to bring in more money and provide a service to hunters.

With Jeremiah’s help (who spread the word about the family and their service) they started to bring in hunters as clients and customers (this was a steady incline throughout the rest of Nellie’s life). When Nellie wasn’t in the hospital, she was beginning to see that the customers (who weren’t hunters) that came to the bar itself was beginning to increase. She couldn’t tell if it was because of her brother’s effective management or if it was because her parents had been killed. She assumed it was both, better management meant more customers. However dead parents meant orphaned children and when two of those children were young, and one very sickly, it tended to incline people to give them business.

Jeremiah kept dropping by whenever he was in the area, giving lessons to all three of them on how to defend themselves against vampires and other creatures that lurk between the worlds. With the knowledge given to them, Avery used it to monster proof the bar and his current home with his siblings.

But Nellie’s health wasn’t getting any better. She was spending longer periods of time in the hospitals, she was getting more tests and at one point, they had a cancer scare. And her health continued to decline even more when she hit fifteen years old. She had been helping her brother Dax in the shop to stock things on the shelves one weekend when she had fallen into a seizure. The ambulance had been called and Nellie was rushed off to the hospital. That was when she had been diagnosed with epilepsy, and severe case. After be diagnosed, Nellie had a seizure at least once a day, and the doctors continued to frequently change her medications to find one that will work for. Because it was so terrible, Nellie had to make huge changes in her life. There were certain foods that she could no longer eat, certain lights that she could not be around or look at, she couldn’t even play some of her favorite video games or watch her favorite movies. When she was sixteen years old, she couldn’t even get herself a license because her doctors deemed her unfit to drive for the worry that she would injure herself or someone else. Because her seizures were so frequent, Nellie had decided that it was best for her to drop out of high school and stay at home to avoid stressful situations that the school environment sometimes had.

By the time that she was eighteen years old, the seizures were somewhat under control and the Sterling boys could move on with their lives as Nellie felt that she was able to handle herself. Her brother Avery spent more time in the bar, and her brother Dax left with Jeremiah to become a hunter. This meant that Nellie was home alone either all day, all night, and sometimes both as Avery slept during the day. Having nothing to do, Avery decided to allow Nellie help with the management of the bar, and together they made bigger changes. They added in a small library like area for hunters to come in to do research or they could hire Nellie (after approval from Avery if she could take on the case) to do the research for them for free. They sectioned off a small part of the shop where hunters could receive help for their wounds at, wounds that required some stitching or patching, but anything that was life threatening Avery offered to drive them to the closest hospital. They usually kept first aid kits and whatever supplies Nellie was able to swipe from her routinely doctor and hospital visits (because who doesn’t take some neat Band-Aids, gauze and the like from hospitals every now and again?). This section of the shop was separated by a curtain as they were tight on money from putting in a small little library. They also had a handful of trustworthy hunters that they often called when they found a case and that trusted her to help get them out of a bind. It was successful business, one that Nellie was proud to be a part of.

Now that her seizures were under control, Nellie was beginning to get blinding headaches. Because of her track record with poor health, she had decided to get looked at. She went to the local hospital the next time that she had one of those headaches. They did a scan of her head and found that Nellie had a brain tumor. Lucky for her, after performing tests, the tumor was found not cancerous, but it was large enough to cause some pressure in her head which resulted in the headaches. However, the tumor was too large and in an awkward place (between her eyes) for the doctors to go in and remove it from her head. Because of the fear that this was going to affect her epilepsy they upped her dosage in her medication and prescribed her two more. One for the pain that was caused by the tumor, and the other to attempt to shrink or prevent the tumor from growing anymore.

Of course, her brothers both wanted to come home and hover over her, but she refused and that she’ll call them if she ever needed help. They agreed with hesitation, but that didn’t stop Avery from constantly checking on her anyway (since she lived with him). Later on, the road proved to be difficult as the tumor was beginning to claim Nellie’s eye sight. Just a year into discovering the brain tumor, she had been told that the doctors would be surprised if she could still see by the time that she was twenty five years old. Upon hearing the news, she has since then done everything that she could in order to keep her eye sight as long as possible but as it neared her twenty-first birthday, she was already legally partially blind in her right eye.

As her eyes started to go, something different and weird was beginning to happen to Nellie. Every time she went somewhere or before walking into a room, she could feel how many people were in a room before entering. It came onto her like of an oppressing feeling; it was the only way that she could explain it. Nervous that something was happening to her, she went to her doctor who had done more tests, other than finding strange brain activity that they were expecting to find because of the tumor, her doctor had told her that there was nothing wrong. Still afraid, she talked to her brothers and spoke to them about it. Dax had mentioned that because she is beginning to lose her sight, her body might have been trying to see in a different way, and from there, called a psychic friend, Greg, to head over and check on his little sister.

Greg met with Nellie and Avery at their in the apartment. The three of them sat down and already, Greg could feel that Nellie had some powers that were beginning to unlock, but whether it was from the strange brain activity or something that was deep within her blood he could not tell. But he rented out an apartment and took a job working in their bar and stayed to help Nellie harness and gain control of her aura sensing ability. During the next two years, Greg helped Nellie with her aura sensing and helped her unlock several more abilities, projecting illusions of pain and wounds external or internal, suppressing someone’s pain from a wound, and projecting memories of fantasies. While it was important to help get Nellie to control all of these sudden new powers, it was more important for Greg to help her to get the illusions under control as it seems that specific ability had been the most dangerous (as she accidentally used it on Avery when he had startled her).

Now at twenty-three years old, Nellie’s life was beginning to slowly piece itself back together. Because of her severe seizures (that are often brought on from overuse of her powers), she had been given a therapy dog – Duke, an Alaskan Malamute – who alerts her when he senses a seizure or if her tumor is beginning to turn cancerous. Duke is very attached to her and she generally takes him everywhere, unless she’s making a trip to Istari as she has now begun to include herbs and objects from Istari in her shop. However she only goes there when she needs to pick up supplies she’s order or go looking for herbs. She generally sticks to Earth and to her home. She also works at the bar full time now, with her brother and Greg at her side to make sure that she doesn’t fall into a seizure. But generally, if there was a day that she really wanted to work the bar by herself, Nellie and Greg didn’t do any exercises the day before to keep her risk of having a seizure to a minimum. Though she’s still not working without someone hovering, generally hunters who are working are aware of Nellie’s condition and keep an eye on her per Avery’s instructions. One day, Nellie hopes to not only have efficient control over her powers, she wants to be able to conquer her seizures and work without having someone to hover over her.

Even though her life was beginning to piece itself back together, it didn’t actually feel like it was coming together till she met Rykar Turocson. They met at an inn in Istari when Nellie had to spend the night from venturing too far from a veil to bring her back to bar. After attaining a room, Nellie had quickly forgotten the room number that she was to take and accidentally stumbled upon Rykar’s room. When she saw the poor and injured Rykar was in, she was quick to assist him, despite how many times he protested her help. While she was bandaging him and caring for his wounds, it was there that he revealed his identity to her and the terrible tale that he had been tortured by demons.

Knowing what it felt like to be somewhere foreign and not feeling too hot, Nellie agreed to take him back to Errosed where he could heal properly in his own bed. Due to her offer, and the persistence of Rykar, the two of them left the following morning; Nellie learned that Rykar was the Prince of Errosed and while she felt completely honored to meet the prince of her homeland, she had been more concerned with bringing the man home so that he could heal. During the journey, the two of them bonded over their histories and connected on a deep level, at least that’s what it felt like for Nellie right away.

After they arrived in Errosed, Nellie stayed around in order to help the Healers of Errosed when caring for Rykar. It was actually suggested by one of the Healers that she stay to help considering that she had been caring for him during the week of their journey and her practices (which were of Earth and more modern) seemed to be helping the young prince. After checking in at home, Nellie stayed in Errosed as an honored guest for several more weeks. Before she left home however, the two of them agreed to continue to see each other.

The next following months, Rykar and Nellie spent traveling across the worlds in order to see one another. It was more than obvious that the two of them had fallen into an unspoken word that they were officially together. However their relationship was put on hold after the Civil War broke out among Errosed. Nellie didn’t particularly know the exact details of the war, but she knew that Rykar’s father was trying to change the land and Rykar was working on preserving it and both of them had dedicated followers.

When the war broke out, Nellie and her brother Avery placed the bar in Greg’s hands and then traveled to Istari to aide Rykar. Even though Nellie wasn’t a fighter, she was able to make her own tremendous impact on the war and help Rykar. Not only was she Rykar’s backbone and support, she also worked closely with the Healers in the healing tent. She also used her powers heavily in the healing tent, working on overdrive in order to suppress everyone’s pain (especially to those who went through amputations and surgeries.) Nellie also served as some kind of watcher as she often wandered the camp’s line with either Rykar or another soldier to sense out auras that were human from Rykar’s father’s army. If any aura dared to get close that she didn’t recognize, she brought down a world of pain onto them. Because of her involvement with the war and the way that her powers worked, Nellie received the war nickname of Ghost.

When the war ended, it seemed that Nellie and Rykar’s relationship took off again, this time at an entirely different speed than what Nellie was comfortable with. A month after the war and almost directly after Rykar’s Coronation Day, the two of them were married and living in the royal palace. Nellie wasn’t particularly ready for the change and she’s still not ready but she makes do, despite how uncomfortable she gets when it comes to the customs of her people and their clothing.

It wasn’t just her love life that change drastically after the war, Nellie’s health in general took a huge turn, and not a good one. Because of the constant use of her powers during that time, Nellie’s health declined severely, she was having more seizures, her head hurt all the time, and she seemed even sicker. It wasn’t until Rykar and a room full of people to witness her having one of her terrible seizures to really give her a clue as to how bad her health was declining.

And once again, Nellie was travelling back and forth to hospitals, overnight stays, and even having multiple doctor appointments in a week or even in a day. However constantly traveling from Istari to Earth for an appointment then from Earth back to Istari to go home was causing her stress, which caused issues for her health. Just when she thought that she was three steps ahead of her condition, she falls back twenty.

Powers and Limitations
» Project Illusions/Memories/Fantasies: Nellie has the ability to project the illusion of pain and injuries onto her target, as long as they’re within a few yards of her. These illusions range from intense internal and external pain to giving her target the illusion of an injury. She can also project memories and fantasies, however for her to execute this method of her abilities she needs to be connected to her target through physical touch and know every detail of the memory or detail. This part of her ability is not fully developed so it requires a lot of her concentration. Projecting illusions can become quite taxing on her body. It leaves her with blinding headaches, nose bleeds, and if used too frequently or too much or even for a long period of time it can cause her to lose consciousness.

» Suppressing/Sensing Pain/Injuries: This ability stemmed from her illusions, she can suppress pain and even sense an injury and be able to tell how bad it is. For her to be able to suppress the pain, the target must be close to her. No more than two rooms away if they’re in the same building and no more than a few yards away if outdoors.

» Aura Sensing: No matter if someone is supernatural creature or human, Nellie can sense their aura and everyone’s is unique to them. They appear to her as colors and sometimes those colors changing depending on the mood of the individual. She cannot tell the difference between species however. In other words she can’t tell the difference if someone is a shapeshifter or a vampire. She can distinguish a demon from other supernatural creatures, since their auras are darker than most. It’s not something that she can turn off unfortunately and it’s an ability that she had developed to help her see the people around her.

RP Sample
See Adonai Maverick

Player Info
It’s Kay again! Here for another character, this place makes all my muses come alive. <.<; Also! Zombie said that it was all right if I created an Erros character and she helped with supplying some information on the people. <3
Coded by Kalista for Istari

--------------------
user posted image
THANK YOU CHELSEA FOR THE SIGNATURE
PM AOL Yahoo 
^
Kalista
 Posted: Dec 31st 2013, 12:49 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1009 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

Hey, Kay, welcome back to the approval process! You know how this works, so I’m going to jump right in.

We should be able to get Nellie squared away, but like Inari, she has a lot going on in a short period of time. Within a few short months of coming to Earth, her parents are able to establish themselves and find enough money for both living arrangements for five, and for expensive medical visits, including extended hospital stays, surgery, and treatment for cancer. After that, Alphonse manages to provide enough money to support a family of five, provide insurance good enough to cover Nellie’s vast medical bills, pay for her many medications, including expensive cancer treatments, provide life insurance policies on both him and Remi, put the boys through college, make several building renovations, provide monster proofing, stock a new shop with items that include weapons, buy an entire building with which to start a housing project for hunters, make building additions that include a medical clinic, and pay for Nellie’s continued treatment and care, all on the profits from a single bar. These profits continue after his death, even when it's mentioned that Avery's not doing as well with it as his father had, and there's even a mention of living in a penthouse at one point after the housing project goes in.

That said, I’d like to see things toned down quite a bit. I have no problem with the bar being successful, but as it stands, there’s way too much being done with its income, even if it were located in a large, thriving city. I did look to see if Bethany was large enough to support a bar with some prosperity, but I'm not finding any town named Bethany in Wyoming, so you can also change that to a different state, if you like, or to a different town altogether. When you’re going back through the history, also keep in mind the challenges that face someone with Nellie’s various conditions and setbacks. Her medical issues were enough to keep her from even graduating high school, so it would be very difficult to run a business on her own, though not impossible. It’s not something that needs to be taken out, but it should be planned for and written accordingly, especially if she’s still having such severe seizures on a regular basis.

On that note, I’d like to see knowledge of fighting and martial arts taken out of her Strengths section, and possibly knowledge of spells and potions, too. She already has a lot going on, and as you said, she’s very weak and frail. This will also help differentiate her from Jo Harvelle, who I’ve noticed a very strong resemblance to, which will also be something to keep an eye on when you’re going back through her history.

Other than that, if you could change Markus’ name to something else, that would drastically help keep things from becoming confusing, since we already have a Marcus on the board. If you won’t be mentioning him outside of her app, it can probably stay, but if it’s something that’s going to come up in RP, we’ll just need something different. This would also be the case with her last name being Thompson, as there's already a character with that last name on the board. Once that's fixed, I think she should be good.

Let me know once her edits have been made, and I’ll take another look!
PM 
^
Nellie Sterling
 Posted: Jan 1st 2014, 07:31 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kay
67 Posts
Heterosexual
Taken

Hey Kalibear! <3 I went in and made the changes that you asked!

Changed her last name from Thompson to Sterling. Changed Markus's name to Jeremiah. Also changed her location from Bethany, Wyoming to Boston, Massachusetts.

Took out those two strengths you asked me too and put in two different ones:
<option>Quick and witty</option>
<option>Goal-oriented</option>

I also added in an extra "I Aspired too":
<option>Have efficient control over her powers</option>

The reasoning why they moved to Boston, Mass was added into her history into the fourth paragraph.

Toned down the bar's success in the beginning and removed the bit about Avery going to school:
Using his business skills, Alphonse opened up a bar called Devil’s Run. It was still difficult to run the bar with large medical expenses to pay from Boston’s Children’s Hospital. The bar wasn’t making enough money, so there was more cash flow going out then it was coming in. The struggled had actually forced Avery to drop out of school and pick up several jobs. The family took whatever money they made from the bar (and sometimes from Avery’s checks) to pay for the hospital bills and whatever was left over from Avery’s money to pay for as much of the home expenses as possible. They were living pay check to pay check. Avery’s job also provided insurance for Dax and Nellie (as that was all he could afford) and the insurance didn’t cover everything for Nellie. Alphonse and Remi were okay with that, they wanted their children covered and at least something was being covered from Nellie’s expenses. Even with some insurance coverage and Avery working, they continued to struggle to make ends meet, but Rowna’s parents did what they could to make sure that they’re children were cared for.

The reason why they chose Sterling as a name:
<BR><BR>
While staying on Earth, the family adopted Earth-like last names, as people often confused them for Native Americans because of their last name. So in agreement, the family took on Sterling as a name. It was modern enough to separate themselves from the Native Americans, but stayed true to their heritage as sterling silver is a color of some horses from Errosed. Rowna however had been the only one to decide to change her whole name. She had a nickname that she got from her brothers, Nellie, and had decided that she wanted her name to be Nellie and her middle name Rowna. Her parents, finding her reasoning to be good enough, changed her name.

Life didn't start getting better till she was about nine:
It wasn’t until Nellie turned nine years old did it seem like things were beginning to get a little more under control. Nine years after its establishment, the bar was beginning to bring in more money (although it had its bad days) and with Nellie’s hospital and doctor visits not as frequent as before the family was able to make a bigger dent in the medical bills. Avery could even do without an extra job (but he kept it anyway from nine years of needing to continually work and provide for his family). Also Dax and Nellie were doing well in school. Life was calming down and the road was smooth.

The bar after the parents were slaughtered and under Avery's management:
<BR><BR>
With Nellie back in the hospital and Dax not old enough to work in the bar, Avery was forced to quit his jobs and return home to care for his siblings, which meant that money was tight again. But with the left over money from his parents’ insurance policies (after burying them) he had enough to cover several medical payments and renovate the basement of the bar putting in a hunter’s shop to bring in more money and provide a service to hunters.
<BR><BR
With Jeremiah’s help (who spread the word about the family and their service) they started to bring in hunters as clients and customers (this was a steady incline throughout the rest of Nellie’s life). When Nellie wasn’t in the hospital, she was beginning to see that the customers (who weren’t hunters) that came to the bar itself was beginning to increase. She couldn’t tell if it was because of her brother’s effective management or if it was because her parents had been killed. She assumed it was both, better management meant more customers. However dead parents meant orphaned children and when two of those children were young, and one very sickly, it tended to incline people to give them business.
<BR><BR>
Jeremiah kept dropping by whenever he was in the area, giving lessons to all three of them on how to defend themselves against vampires and other creatures that lurk between the worlds. With the knowledge given to them, Avery used it to monster proof the bar, his current home with his siblings and the next project. With a loan from the bank, Avery purchased a small apartment building and began to renovate the apartments to provide short term or long term housing for hunters.

Changed Nellie's involvement in the bar:
By the time that she was eighteen years old, the seizures were somewhat under control and the Sterling boys could move on with their lives as Nellie felt that she was able to handle herself. Her brother Avery spent more time in the bar or at the housing complex, and her brother Dax left with Jeremiah to become a hunter. This meant that Nellie was home alone either all day, all night, and sometimes both as Avery slept during the day. Having nothing to do, Avery decided to allow Nellie help with the management of the bar, and together they made bigger changes. They added in a small library like area for hunters to come in to do research or they could hire Nellie (after approval from Avery if she could take on the case) to do the research for them for free, they also built a clinic in the shop for hunters to get medical attention and just down the road, the renovations to the apartment complex and monster proofing was finally finished. They also had a handful of trustworthy hunters that they often called when they found a case and that trusted her to help get them out of a bind. It was successful business, one that Nellie was proud to be a part of.

Took out the bit where they lived in a penthouse, I thought that I had taken it out before putting the application up. But anyway, I changed their location to one of the apartments in the housing complex.

And in the final paragraph at the end of the application, added in a little more about Nellie being/working in the bar alone:
She also works at the bar full time now, with her brother at her side to make sure that she doesn’t fall into a seizure. But generally, if there was a day that she really wanted to work the bar by herself, Nellie and Greg didn’t do any exercises the day before to keep her risk of having a seizure to a minimum. Though she’s still not working without someone hovering, generally hunters who are working are aware of Nellie’s condition and keep an eye on her per Avery’s instructions. One day, Nellie hopes to not only have efficient control over her powers, she wants to be able to conquer she seizures and work without having someone to hover over her.

Hopefully this is better! <3

--------------------
user posted image
PM AOL Yahoo 
^
Kalista
 Posted: Jan 2nd 2014, 10:03 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1009 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

Wow, this is much better, Kay! There are still a couple things that's a little far-fetched, but overall her edits look really good. Her diseases especially sounds much more well-managed and realistic, and I like that her brother is staying with her now, rather than her being on her own.

The only places I'm still having concerns are when Nellie's parents first come to Istari, and when some of the arrangements to help out hunters are made. You still have her parents paying for some sort of housing for five, extensive diagnostics, surgery, hospital stays, and post-op cancer treatment, and getting the money to start a bar despite only having been on Earth for a few months. They'd have to get the knowledge, know-how, and a very large amount of money from somewhere, so that'll need to be worked out somehow.

The other area is when her brother buys the apartment building, and when the clinic is added into the bar. Both of those would be very costly, when you consider how expensive even basic medical equipment and medications are, not to mention that they'll need to stock all the numerous smaller items as well.

It would still be more believable than the housing complex, though. I know her insurance is covering at least part of her medical expenses, but with them being on such a costly scale, they'd still be paying a lot out of pocket, and they would've already made a couple renovations to the bar at that point, so I'm not sure they'd approve him for a loan large enough to buy an entire building. Maybe Avery gets a respectable friend to co-sign for it with him or something? You'd still have to figure out how they pay for the clinic, since they won't be able to go through official channels and still keep it secret, but that might cover the apartment building, at least.

Anyway, let me know once you've figured out what you'd like to do with those, and I'll peek at it again!
PM 
^
Nellie Sterling
 Posted: Jan 3rd 2014, 10:08 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kay
67 Posts
Heterosexual
Taken

Hello Ms. Kalibear! I've gone in and made adjustments, and here they are! <3

I went through the application and removed any mention of a housing complex, to make things easier. And because of that I've made minor changes at the end of the application saying that Greg met with Nellie and her brother at their apartment still, but instead of him getting an apartment in the housing complex, he just got his own place and the Sterlings employed him at the bar which helps him pay for his place and keep an eye on Nellie when she's working there.

After conversing with the lovely Zombie to see how things work in Errosed, I figured out where the family got their money for the creation of the bar:
While they were making trips to Earth, Alphonse was quick in wanting to learn the ways of business there. He was a hands-on learner. After spending a night out, he noticed that many of the people of Earth enjoy themselves in what they call bars the equivalent to a tavern in Errosed. The family knew that they were going to need money in order to start some kind of business like that. So they traded their horses, stable business, home and small plot of land in the Errosed city for a decent amount of gold. With the help of the master (after trading gold to him for the help), Alphonse went to Earth and exchanged the gold for money, opened a bank account, rented out a bar space in Boston Massachusetts (a city they chose by the master’s recommendation because of their great children’s and adult hospitals), and got to work on getting the bar. They used all of the money to renovating the space, getting supplies, and the proper permits and other various paperwork for the bar to become official.

Changed Nellie's age when they moved to Errosed to almost a year old, giving the bar some time to grow.

Added in some more money details and struggles for the family:
However the more that Nellie went to the hospital, the more expensive it got. Soon they were realizing that there was more money going out rather than coming in. The struggle for money forced the Chasing-Horse family out of a comfortable apartment that fit their large family into a much smaller place that wasn’t so comfortable and frequently, their utilities got turned off. The struggle for money had actually forced Avery to drop out of public school and pick up several steady jobs and several odd jobs. He was able to provide insurance for Nellie, which helped with the medical payments, but it was too expensive to cover anyone else. Alphonse also picked up several more jobs (since Remi had to stay home and care for Nellie and wasn’t able to get a job) and Dax did what he could for jobs for a boy his age (most he was doing was a lot of yard work for those that had a yard in the city and shoveling people’s walkways in the harsh winters). The insurance didn’t cover everything that needed to be paid for little Nellie, but they were able to agree on a payment plan with the hospital on the things that were not covered. So the money that they made from the bar went towards hospital payments for Nellie and the money that came from Avery, Dax, and Alphonse’s work went towards the needs of the family. But even with the Chasing-Horse men working, they still struggled to make ends meet and a few times, the family had to live in a shelter.

And I guess I made you a little confused with the clinic portion as it wasn't necessarily a full clinic as it was a place for hunters to get their wounds and stuff looked at and stitched, so I also just explained that in the paragraph where Nellie and Avery made changes to the bar:
By the time that she was eighteen years old, the seizures were somewhat under control and the Sterling boys could move on with their lives as Nellie felt that she was able to handle herself. Her brother Avery spent more time in the bar, and her brother Dax left with Jeremiah to become a hunter. This meant that Nellie was home alone either all day, all night, and sometimes both as Avery slept during the day. Having nothing to do, Avery decided to allow Nellie help with the management of the bar, and together they made bigger changes. They added in a small library like area for hunters to come in to do research or they could hire Nellie (after approval from Avery if she could take on the case) to do the research for them for free. They sectioned off a small part of the shop where hunters could receive help for their wounds at, wounds that required some stitching or patching, but anything that was life threatening Avery offered to drive them to the closest hospital. They usually kept first aid kits and whatever supplies Nellie was able to swipe from her routinely doctor and hospital visits (because who doesn’t take some neat Band-Aids, gauze and the like from hospitals every now and again?). This section of the shop was separated by a curtain as they were tight on money from putting in a small little library. They also had a handful of trustworthy hunters that they often called when they found a case and that trusted her to help get them out of a bind. It was successful business, one that Nellie was proud to be a part of.

Let me know if I have to try and fix something else. <3

--------------------
user posted image
PM AOL Yahoo 
^
Kalista
 Posted: Jan 3rd 2014, 10:33 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1009 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

This application has been unlocked for updates.
PM 
^
Nellie Sterling
 Posted: Mar 1st 2015, 02:41 AM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kay
67 Posts
Heterosexual
Taken

Hey guys! Nellie's all finished.

I've updated her age, occupation, and added in a nickname for her.

Added in a paragraph in her personality:
After the war, Nellie’s mental psyche took a hard hit. Her relationship with Rykar moved faster than she wanted (though she’s ridiculous happy being married to him) and she found herself having to completely uproot herself to Errosed, something that she’s not particularly happy about considering her attachment to Earth. Not only that, but because of the overuse of her powers, Nellie’s health condition declined drastically. That surprisingly hit her hard because she worked so hard to get to the spot that she was in before the war, because she’s not entirely sure if she’s has the strength to do it again. However, being with Rykar gives her that motivation to continue going to appointments and doing what she needs to do to be back in her prime condition.

And added in more to her history that Zombie's signed off on:
Even though her life was beginning to piece itself back together, it didn’t actually feel like it was coming together till she met Rykar Turocson. They met at an inn in Istari when Nellie had to spend the night from venturing too far from a veil to bring her back to bar. After attaining a room, Nellie had quickly forgotten the room number that she was to take and accidentally stumbled upon Rykar’s room. When she saw the poor and injured Rykar was in, she was quick to assist him, despite how many times he protested her help. While she was bandaging him and caring for his wounds, it was there that he revealed his identity to her and the terrible tale that he had been tortured by demons.
<BR><BR>
Knowing what it felt like to be somewhere foreign and not feeling too hot, Nellie agreed to take him back to Errosed where he could heal properly in his own bed. Due to her offer, and the persistence of Rykar, the two of them left the following morning; Nellie learned that Rykar was the Prince of Errosed and while she felt completely honored to meet the prince of her homeland, she had been more concerned with bringing the man home so that he could heal. During the journey, the two of them bonded over their histories and connected on a deep level, at least that’s what it felt like for Nellie right away.
<BR><BR>
After they arrived in Errosed, Nellie stayed around in order to help the Healers of Errosed when caring for Rykar. It was actually suggested by one of the Healers that she stay to help considering that she had been caring for him during the week of their journey and her practices (which were of Earth and more modern) seemed to be helping the young prince. After checking in at home, Nellie stayed in Errosed as an honored guest for several more weeks. Before she left home however, the two of them agreed to continue to see each other.
<BR><BR>
The next following months, Rykar and Nellie spent traveling across the worlds in order to see one another. It was more than obvious that the two of them had fallen into an unspoken word that they were officially together. However their relationship was put on hold after the Civil War broke out among Errosed. Nellie didn’t particularly know the exact details of the war, but she knew that Rykar’s father was trying to change the land and Rykar was working on preserving it and both of them had dedicated followers.
<BR><BR>
When the war broke out, Nellie and her brother Avery placed the bar in Greg’s hands and then traveled to Istari to aide Rykar. Even though Nellie wasn’t a fighter, she was able to make her own tremendous impact on the war and help Rykar. Not only was she Rykar’s backbone and support, she also worked closely with the Healers in the healing tent. She also used her powers heavily in the healing tent, working on overdrive in order to suppress everyone’s pain (especially to those who went through amputations and surgeries.) Nellie also served as some kind of watcher as she often wandered the camp’s line with either Rykar or another soldier to sense out auras that were human from Rykar’s father’s army. If any aura dared to get close that she didn’t recognize, she brought down a world of pain onto them. Because of her involvement with the war and the way that her powers worked, Nellie received the war nickname of Ghost. 
<BR><br>
When the war ended, it seemed that Nellie and Rykar’s relationship took off again, this time at an entirely different speed than what Nellie was comfortable with. A month after the war and almost directly after Rykar’s Coronation Day, the two of them were married and living in the royal palace. Nellie wasn’t particularly ready for the change and she’s still not ready but she makes do, despite how uncomfortable she gets when it comes to the customs of her people and their clothing.
<BR><BR>
It wasn’t just her love life that change drastically after the war, Nellie’s health in general took a huge turn, and not a good one. Because of the constant use of her powers during that time, Nellie’s health declined severely, she was having more seizures, her head hurt all the time, and she seemed even sicker. It wasn’t until Rykar and a room full of people to witness her having one of her terrible seizures to really give her a clue as to how bad her health was declining.
<BR><BR>
And once again, Nellie was travelling back and forth to hospitals, overnight stays, and even having multiple doctor appointments in a week or even in a day. However constantly traveling from Istari to Earth for an appointment then from Earth back to Istari to go home was causing her stress, which caused issues for her health. Just when she thought that she was three steps ahead of her condition, she falls back twenty.

--------------------
user posted image
PM AOL Yahoo 
^
Arius
 Posted: Mar 1st 2015, 01:07 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
2217 Posts
N/A
N/A
N/A

Welcome to Istari! For full activation and site access, use the links above to add your new character to the Face Claims and Who Plays Who.

--------------------
user posted image
PM 
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic 

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.