Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic 

Brandt, Dragon
Brandt
 Posted: Oct 5th 2017, 11:12 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
3 Posts
Thousands of years
Straight
Available

User Group
Uniques
Sexuality
Straight
Occupation
Independently wealthy, so whatever strikes his fancy
Has a cabin in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but roams freely
Aliases
None
Face Claim
Henry Cavill
Brandt
Rise from the ruins, I'll never die
I'll wake up feeling fine
And I think I could live forever
Physical Description
In his human form, Brandt is a physically imposing 6'7" tall, with a heavy, muscular build. He towers over most humans, and is broader across the shoulders than most as well, and if it weren't for his ready smile and open, welcoming expression, Brandt might come off as intimidating and unapproachable. There's something honest and trustworthy about the man that draws people in, some glimmer in his grey-blue eyes that makes them feel at ease and safe in his presence. No matter if he's wearing a full beard with long, shaggy hair, or completely clean-shaven, Brandt's face is one that inspires trust in those around him, and for good reason.

Never one to care for the current trends in clothing and fashion, Brandt can often be found wearing something decidedly out of place for the times. He prefers anything comfortable and functional, opposed to whatever foppish or ridiculous trend is popular at court at any given time. He has learned, of course, that looking clean and fashionable can help in gaining the trust of those in need, but he rarely has to rely on what he considers "those tricks" to win someone over.

Brandt's true, draconic form is something to behold. Descended from a line of towering, powerful dragons, Brandt is easily twenty-five feet high at the shoulder, with a powerful, graceful neck topped off by a head the size of a small car or wagon. His tail is equivalent in length to the entire rest of his body, ending with twin tines roughly four feet long, and his massive, powerful limbs are capped off with surprisingly dextrous talons. Double horns come out from the sides of his skull and curve downward, running parallel to his narrow snout, and teeth like shortswords interlock in a terrifying display when his jaws are closed. Brandt's scales are thick and strong, overlapped like shields, and almost blindingly pure white, highlighted throughout with silver. His wings are partially feathered, and powerful enough to lift his massive form into the air with ease.

Brandt's Draconic Form
» Peace, quiet, and relative solitude; after a long life of war and chaos, Brandt now lives for the simpler things

» Honorable men and women who say what they mean and do what they say

» Hard physical labor; now that he's not hacking and slashing his way through battlefields, he contents himself with chopping down trees, digging trenches, construction, and the like

» Flying; though he has trouble accessing his natural draconic form without the proper emotional or mental distress, those times when he is able to change it's flying that he loves best

» A challenge or a formidable opponent; he might not be the warrior he once was, but he still sometimes craves action and the thrill of fighting a worthwhile enemy

Dislikes
» Modern warfare; it's impersonal, too easy, and the reason he stepped off the battlefield and into a life of relative peace

» Being "locked" in his human form, unless under extreme duress or mental/emotional stress

» Indiscriminate hunters and their ilk; a man should be judged based on how he lives his life, not based on what manner of creature he is

» Earth's apparent obsession with technology; he's not exactly against technology, but he feels it should have limits

» Cowards, and people without the conviction to follow through on what they say or threaten

Strengths
» Obviously his draconic strength and abilities; he is a powerful, imposing figure both on and off the battlefield

» Thousands of years of life impart certain wisdom to a man, and though he might play the simply woodsman, Brandt is incredibly intelligent and wise

» Likewise, living for so long has allowed Brandt to build up an impressive amount of wealth; he could do much better than the simple cabin and piece of land he lives on

» Seems to exude an air of confidence and trustworthiness that draws people to him

» Speaks dozens of languages, many of which are no longer spoken on either world

Weaknesses
» Though he's incredibly durable, well-crafted or particularly powerful weapons can hurt or kill him

» Doesn't have ready access to the greater part of his abilities due to being stuck in his human form most of the time

» Brandt is particularly susceptible to magic; where steel and shot might fail in felling him, magic is much more likely to bring him low

» His past; Brandt isn't entirely proud of the life he lived up until the last century or so, and being faced with it shames and humbles him

» Due to his self-imposed exile and solitude, Brandt has precious few contacts and connections in either world, though occasionally some fey creature still seeks him out with news of the goings on in the worlds around him

Goals
» To live a long, peaceful, and quiet life

» Do what he can to aid those in need, in both worlds if needs be

» Perhaps someday write down all of his many adventures into a book, or several books

Fears
» Never gaining full control over his shape-changing

» Being struck by some bloodlust again and returning to his old, violent and destructive ways

» Someone discovering what he is and seeking to kill or harm him because of it

Personality
Brandt has come a long way from his old warmongering days. While still a skilled fighter and brilliant tactician, he has turned his back on war and the suffering it brings, choosing instead a quiet life of relative solitude. He's a hard worker, which is a trait he finds attractive in others, and he has learned the value of a good life. People who seek out conflict or drama irritate him to no end, though he fully admits that once, long ago, he was the same way. For him the difference is that he was blessed with a long enough lifespan to be able to see the error of his ways and truly change, while he fears that most human beings live too short a span of years to really have the same sort of breakthrough.

Though Brandt was born in Istari, he has adopted Earth as his home. The people, places, and ingenuity of Earth won him over centuries ago, and he has never looked back. With his great age has come great wisdom as well, and he enjoys applying that wisdom to the various bits and pieces of new technology that come his way. Brandt enjoys technology and feels it has a place in things, but he worries that the people of his adopted home have to rely on it too much, and that in the end it will come to destroy them.

As much as he's become a relatively peaceful, calm-minded man, Brandt still enjoys a good challenge and a rousing fight. He has great pride in his abilities, and finding himself squaring off against a worthy opponent makes him feel alive. Fighting for a good cause is particularly invigorating for him, and more often than not these days good causes include defending those who can't defend themselves and taking up the torch for people and places that are most in need of help.

History
Brandt's history is long and full of conflict. From the moment he emerged from his egg thousands of years ago on a lone mountain peak in northern Istari his life was full of struggle and combat, as his very nest mates and other creatures all sought superiority over the others. Of his parents Brandt knows nothing, which isn't uncommon for his particular type of dragon, and whether any other of his nest mates survive to this day he doesn't know, nor does he really care. Familial ties hold little to no sway over his kind.

As he grew older, his strength and intelligence increased with every battle he won, until eventually he realized he wanted--or perhaps needed--something more than his savage life in the mountains, battling and slaying fellow dragons and the occasional brave adventurer. Along with his growing intelligence came the knowledge and understanding of his full array of abilities, and it was the power to change his shape into that of a man that finally freed Brandt from his life in the wild and allowed him to travel into the lands of humans and other similar races. Free to move among them, he took for himself the name "Brandt" and he learned their ways, their customs, and their languages over the next several decades.

Throughout all of these years, Brandt's hunger for battle and the challenge of a worthy adversary remained strong. Often he partook in the wars of the "lesser races", using his strength and draconic abilities to turn the tide in favor of whichever side he deemed the most deserving in any given conflict. He also engaged in single combat with the chosen champions of enemy armies, almost always handily defeating them, though on occasion a particularly powerful or canny opponent managed to best him. Always Brandt survived to fight another day, and his life was as full as any of his kind could have hoped for.

An incredible amount of time passed, but to a long-lived creature like Brandt it may as well have been the blink of an eye. He isn't sure exactly when he first realized it, but somewhere along the line Brandt found himself tiring of the constant war and conflict, and of the mostly weak would-be champions who sought him out in challenge. Luckily even as Istaran warfare began to hold little excitement for him, the people of Earth caught his attention, and though their style of war was similar to that in Istari, it was also different enough to seem intriguing.

Brandt left Istari for Earth during the days of the Greco-Persian wars, and he never looked back. Their lack of magic had led the people of Earth to develop fascinating machinery and engines of war, and Brandt was captivated by all of it. He tended to stay in his human form for longer and longer periods, as he discovered that using his natural form caused quite the unnecessary stir among the superstitious and "magically stunted" people of Earth. Of course even in this "lesser" shape Brandt possessed strength and power unrivaled by humanity's best, and he made a name for himself as a warrior of great renown wherever he traveled, even inspiring many myths and legends which persist to this day.

Again time marched on, and as war became more and more impersonal due to those very same technological advances that had first caught his attention, Brandt found himself becoming disenchanted with it all. Everything really came to a head for him during the Great War, when he found himself genuinely sicked by what war had become. No longer was it one man struggling against another, where you had to look your enemy in the eye as he died... No, now it was the pulling of a trigger or the detonating of a bomb; it was the use of chemicals and other horrors which caused slow, lingering deaths in the lucky ones, and lifelong disabilities and scars in those less fortunate.

And so, after millenia of violence and war, Brandt chose to live a life of peace.

For the past hundred years or so, Brandt has lived the life of a recluse in the rugged wilderness of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. He has little contact with the outside world beyond the occasional trip in to the nearest town for whatever supplies he can't hunt, forage, or craft for himself, and has gained a reputation as an odd--but admittedly polite and friendly--hermit. Brandt retains all of his old strength and power, though an unexpected side-effect of maintaining his human for for so long is that he now has trouble changing back into his natural dragon form without an emotional or stressful "trigger."

Over all, though, Brandt is happy. He has never sought to return to Istari, having fallen completely and utterly in love with Earth, its people, and its lands. The dragon often hosts various fey creatures and travelers from Istari at his cabin, and through them he keeps up to date on the goings on in the world of his birth. Recently, whispers have reached him through his magical and fey contacts that the United States military is starting to seriously look into the possible existence of Istari, and that has piqued his interest enough to cause him to reconsider his life as a recluse...

Perhaps it's time for Brandt to rejoin the world that he has adopted as his own.

Powers and Limitations
» Draconic Shapeshifting: Brandt's natural shape is that of an immense, silver-white dragon, but he can shift into the form of a large man to better blend into the world of humanity. Generally his race is able to shift between forms at will, but Brandt has spent so much time in his human form that changing back to his draconic one has become difficult unless he is under extreme duress or emotional stress.

» Draconic Physiology: Even in his human form, Brandt's physical strength, speed, senses, and endurance are far beyond those of a normal human being, and even those of many supernatural creatures such as vampires, werewolves, and the like. Obviously in his natural draconic form, all of these attributes are increased exponentially, making him an incredibly dangerous opponent, or a stalwart ally. Also, Brandt is immune to human sickness and disease, heals at an accelerated rate, and ages so slowly that it's essentially impossible to notice.

» Fire Affinity: While in his draconic form, Brandt can spew white-hot flames from his mouth that are hot enough to incinerate his enemies and destroy cities. While he lacks this ability in his human form, Brandt still retains an immunity to heat and fire.

» Durability: Brandt is incredibly hard to wound or kill, due to his draconic heritage. In his natural form his interlocking scales are armor-like and able to repel most arrows, spears, and the like. Particularly well-crafted weapons are able to pierce this armor, and magical weapons (especially those specifically forged to destroy dragons) can do so even easier. In his human form, Brandt is still incredibly durable. Small-caliber rounds do little more than irritate and bruise him, and his skin is thick enough to turn aside most bladed weapons unless they strike straight and true. Explosives, extreme impacts, and high-caliber weapons can still maim and kill him, though.

RP Sample
See Lily.

Player Info
Arius, revamping an old character!
Coded by Kalista for Istari

This post has been edited by Arius: Nov 5th 2017, 05:18 PM
PM 
^
Brandt
 Posted: Nov 5th 2017, 05:18 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
3 Posts
Thousands of years
Straight
Available

Finished!
PM 
^
Kalista
 Posted: Nov 8th 2017, 09:46 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1008 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

Welcome to Istari! For full activation and site access, use the links above to add your new character to the Face Claims and Who Plays Who.
PM 
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic 

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.