Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic Start Poll

Wesley Matthews, Hunter
Wesley Matthews
 Posted: Oct 1st 2017, 11:49 AM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
1 Posts
Straight
Single

User Group
Humans
Sexuality
Straight
Occupation
Hunter
Born and raised in Seattle, WA; is now on the run
Aliases
Wes; Various hunter aliases
Face Claim
Stephen Amell
Wesley Aaron Matthews
But every night I burn
Every night I call your name
Every night I burn
Every night I fall again
Physical Description
Wes stands just a couple inches over six feet, and has a muscular, athletic build. Even before becoming a hunter, he maintained a very physical life, spending days in the wilderness tracking game with his father and competing in archery competitions across the country. In his younger days, before everything fell apart, Wes tended toward the clean-shaven, well-groomed look, but since taking up the life of a hunter, his face is usually scruffy and his hair kept very short, as it's easier to maintain. His grey-blue eyes have a sort of wild edge to them, and they're always darting to and fro as if expecting trouble at any moment.

Typically those who've been hunting for most of their lives amass an impressive collection of scars, but Wes sports nearly as many as the "old timers" despite having only been in the life for a few short years. With no real training to speak of, he's made far too many mistakes, some that have nearly cost him his life, and the marks of those mistakes remain etched into his flesh. Beyond the usual scars of hunting, Wesley's body is also marred by severe burn scars from a close encounter with the dragon who is hunting him.

Despite once having quite the extensive wardrobe, Wes is now reduced to wearing basically whatever he can get his hands on. Anything that fits and is functional works for him, and he isn't at all picky about colors or styles.

» The rare moments when he can forget that everything's gone to hell

» Pushing himself to his limits in everything he does

» A clean kill

» Watching the sunrise every morning

Dislikes
» Fire; even small campfires make him jumpy

» Being put in a position where people are depending on him

» Hunters who shoot first and ask questions later

» Being hunted, and forced to stay on the move all the time

» Failing, at anything

Strengths
» Has been shooting a bow since he was a boy, and as such is a very good shot

» Has a very high pain tolerance

» Is stubborn in a good way, refusing to give up once he's started something

» Doesn't have a lot of supernatural hunting experience, but is a very fast learner

» Has a wealth of wilderness survival knowledge and traditional hunting experience

Weaknesses
» Only has a few years of supernatural hunting experience under his belt

» His inexperience often leads to mistakes and injuries

» Suffers from vivid, frequent nightmares about burning alive

» Runs himself into exhaustion, which isn't difficult due to chronic lack of sleep

» Is constantly looking over his shoulder for trouble or signs of pursuit

Goals
» Slay his dragon, and that's not a metaphor

» Learn as much as he can about the supernatural in order to become a better hunter

» Someday have his life return to some small semblance of normalcy

Fears
» Fire, first and foremost

» Dragging people into his troubles

» More people dying because of him

Personality
Once, years ago, Wes was a very friendly, open, and optimistic young man. That was before his family was destroyed and his life turned upside down, though, and now he is a much darker person than he was in his youth. Gone is the fun-loving archery champion and playboy, replaced by the quintessential brooding, anti-social hunter.

Life on the road, mostly alone, has not agreed with the man who once thrived on social interaction. Having to keep everyone at arms' length has become automatic for him after losing more than one person to the dragon that has been stalking his family for generations. Though he has a handful of acquaintances and informants across the country, there is no one left alive that Wes really considers a friend, and though he often broods on just this subject, in the long run he knows that things are better this way.

When it comes to interacting with others, Wes does his best not to come off as too abrasive or surly, which can be difficult while simultaneously pushing people away. The closest thing he has to real, genuine social interaction is when he encounters another hunter and trades news and stories with them. Talking with others who live his lifestyle helps Wes to deal with his own issues, and provides a wellspring of knowledge that the relatively inexperienced hunter sorely needs.

Those who meet Wes would probably describe him as nervous, or "jumpy" before anything else. Constantly looking over his shoulder for trouble and signs of pursuit, Wes comes off as a sort of jittery, nervous wreck most of the time. Even on the rare occasion that he lets himself relax and tries to rest up between jobs, Wes still tends to stand and pace a lot, or look out windows to make sure everything is really okay.

History
Wesley's story really begins more than a hundred years ago, on a different continent. His great-great-grandparents were a carefree, adventurous couple, and they spent years together traveling and exploring Europe from one end to the other. It was during one of their adventures that they stumbled upon a cave, within which was a horde of treasure the likes of which they'd never seen before. Needless to say, it was enough wealth to set them up for life, and to ensure that their children and their children's children would all be able to lead comfortable lives as well. With those thoughts in mind, they returned to civilization, hired several wagons and drivers, and removed the horde, claiming it for themselves.

After spending several more years roaming the world, the couple eventually settled down in the Italian countryside, using their nearly-limitless wealth to build a sprawling estate populated by servants and extended family members. It was an idyllic life for a long time, until one night disaster struck, and flames consumed the estate. Nearly everyone who lived there was killed, though the Matthews patriarch and his wife managed to escape with their lives, if barely. After the destruction of their estate, the couple decided to hit the road again, but in every town they visited strange fires would crop up, often in close proximity to them, and whispers began to circulate that the family was cursed. Eventually it got to be too much, and the couple decided to try and leave their past far behind them by moving to the United States, bringing with them their legendary wealth, their children, and--as would soon be discovered--apparently their curse.

Years went by, and the rumors of the Matthews family curse eventually faded away. The couple put their wealth into various purchases and investments, until finally nothing remained of the original treasure horde that they'd stumbled across. The family grew in prominence, though they never really settled down in any one place for long. Instead, they continued to move further and further west every few years, until eventually they hit the Pacific Ocean, finally settling in Seattle, Washington. For a while, it seemed like they had outran whatever curse it was that plagued them, until a mysterious automobile accident killed the aging couple and all but one of their children. How the car spontaneously burst into flames was never discovered, but whispers of a curse again began to circulate, spread by those who remembered the stories of the Matthews family in the Old World.

And so it went for the next several decades. As the Matthews family grew and spread, strange fiery accidents seemed to follow in their wake. Talk of curses changed from the serious fears and accusations of the past into more of a curiosity of the modern world, something to send chills down a person's spine, but nothing that was ever taken seriously. That the family had incredibly bad luck was accepted, of course, but curses? That was simply ridiculous...

Wesley Aaron Matthews was born in September of 1986 to Kurt and Angela Matthews. Wes had the unique distinction of being the first son of Kurt, who was the direct descendant of the original Matthews couple who'd settled in Seattle, rather than one of the off-shoot cousins. As such, he grew up living an easy, pampered life, though his parents always tried to instill in him a sense of pride for his community, and a sense of responsibility when it came to the fortune that he would inherit someday.

Even though he lived a life of privilege, that didn't mean that Wes became soft, or lazy, because his father wouldn't allow that. Kurt was an avid outdoorsman who loved camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, and just about anything else having to do with the wild forests of the Pacific Northwest. He wanted to pass this love of the wilderness on to his son, and as it turned out, Wes was just as crazy about it all as his father was. From an early age he showed an impressive proficiency for archery, and for tracking game through the woods. This talent for archery evolved from simply hunting with his father to competing in national competitions as he got older, and though he didn't win them all, he always placed highly if he didn't take home the gold.

When Wes was twenty-two years old, the apparent Matthews Family Curse finally caught up to him. He awoke one night to the screams of his family, and to the smell of smoke. Leaping from his bed, he ran from his room only to discover the mansion engulfed in flames. Everywhere he turned there was fire, and just before losing consciousness due to the heat and smoke inhalation, Wes felt someone grab him and drag him through the flames and out into the fresh air. The young man blacked out before he could make any sense of things, though, tortured by the sounds of his parents' screams, and by the scent of fire.

Wes awoke days later, in a strange, spartan room, his wounds dressed. A strange old man sat at his bedside, and though Wesley didn't recognize him, there seemed to be something familiar about him at the same time. Seeing the younger man's confusion, he introduced himself as Harry, and he claimed to be a distant relation of the Matthews family, but not so distant--apparently--that he'd been safe from what had been hunting and killing Matthews for more than a century. As Wes recovered, Harry laid out the entire tale for him, the true history of the Matthews family, which Harry himself had discovered after years of research. Much of what he told Wes sounded insane, but more than anything was the fact that he claimed a dragon had been stalking their family for generations.

Harry's own family had been all but eradicated years earlier, and only the fact that he kept on the move had saved him over the years. He claimed that there were others like him, people who's lives had been destroyed by unnatural creatures, and who sought vengeance by hunting and killing whatever supernatural beasts they could find. Unfortunately, even among what seemed to be an underground community of hunters, Harry was considered something of a madman. Dragons, after all, weren't real. Every hunter worth his salt knew that, or so they all had told him. As such, Harry had found himself completely on his own in his quest to free the Matthews family from the dragon that had marked them all for death, due to the loss of its horde so many decades ago.

Well, perhaps not entirely alone, or so he hoped.

At first Wes refused to believe everything that Harry told him. It was all too much, too unreal, and though dwelling on it kept him from losing himself in the grief of his parents' deaths, it was something he tried not to even consider. How could the world really be such a dark, crazy place, with so few people noticing? But during the weeks that it took Wesley to fully recover, Harry was able to produce too much evidence for the young man to deny it any more: he had suddenly found himself as part of something so much bigger than he'd ever imagined possible. If hunting down and slaying this dragon would end the so-called "curse" that had dogged his family for the past hundred or so years, then he'd do everything he could to make that happen.

So began Wesley's training, and initiation into the world of the supernatural.

Unfortunately, though Harry knew a great deal about dragon lore, and about basic field medicine and combat, he had little experience with the rest of the supernatural world. Any other hunters he had approached for aid over the years had all shrugged him off as delusional, and as such he'd garnered a bitter hatred for them that Wes couldn't help but inherit, at least in part. When it came to dragons, though, Harry was undoubtedly an expert, having read and reread every account of them recorded over the past thousand years. The man had even used his portion of the family fortune to track down and purchase a very rare, impossibly expensive sword, one that was supposedly capable of slaying a dragon when everything else would simply irritate one.

It was during his relatively short training period that Wes discovered he was dead. Or, at least that was what the world thought, anyway. The flames that had destroyed his home had burned unnaturally hot, leaving behind nothing at all to identify potential victims. As such--and due to the fact that Wes had essentially just dropped off the face of the Earth--the authorities had declared him dead along with his parents and their staff. It was a strangely freeing feeling, knowing that he was starting from scratch, with nothing but a dead man's name and an almost painful need for vengeance burning inside of him. No real family left, no fortune, no worries about the future... Only the mission.

Harry and Wes' first encounter with the dragon came only a few short weeks after the destruction of the younger man's home. They had thought they were the ones doing the tracking, but it was the dragon who had led them into a trap. An old, abandoned foundry became the sight of their battle, and Wes and Harry both found themselves easily outmatched by their opponent. Admittedly, the creature wasn't anything like Wes had been expecting: instead of the traditional reptilian dragon, he was simply a very large, very strong man. He had wings that seemed to be retractable, as well as sharpened talons at the ends of his fingertips that he used to good effect in slashing Wes and his teacher to ribbons. Not having had time to really train with the sword, Wes knew their best bet would be for him to distract the dragon while Harry landed the killing blow. But as the older man struck out at the creature with the blade, the dragon turned and caught his arm, and immediately Harry burst into flames, without even any time to scream.

The sword clattered to the ground, and Wes dove for it, wrapping his fingers around the hilt and swinging toward the dragon, rage fueling his strike. The dragon's speed was too much, though, and the blade cleaved nothing but air, and was then snatched from Wes' grasp by the creature, who swung as hard as he could and shattered it against the wall. Wes watched as pieces of the blade fell tinkling to the floor, its destruction heralding the loss of any hope he had to avenge his family. The dragon approached, ready to deal the finishing blow, but Wes rolled forward, picked up the largest shard of the blade he could find and drove it into the creature's side before its talons could tear out his throat. Screaming in shock and agony, the dragon back-handed Wes aside, then leapt high into the air, a snap of wings echoing throughout the foundry as he launched himself through a broken section of the roof and vanished.

Hours later, Wes regained consciousness and found himself having to fight off waves of alternating sorrow and fury. As much as he longed to track the dragon down and finish the job, he knew that without the sword, it was hopeless. That was when the fragments of the blade caught his eye, and an idea was born. After gathering all of the suitable pieces he could find, Wes left the foundry behind and hit the road, living much as he had during the weeks after his recovery. He never stayed in one place too long, but whenever he could find a moment of peace, he'd work on crafting one of the shards of the sword into an arrow head. He might not be a trained swordsman, but when it came to archery, there were few who were his equal. Hope was rekindled in him, and he now had one more death to lay at the dragon's feet.

For the next couple of years, Wes lived the typical hunter life, traveling and never staying in the same place for more than a few days. As he worked, he learned, taking on jobs with willing hunters and hungrily devouring any and every bit of information he could get out of them. His scant years of experience were nothing compared to most hunters, of course, and he made more than his share of mistakes, though he wears the scars gained from these mistakes as gruesome reminders.

It was during one such team-up that Wes met Hannah. The young woman was a pyrokinetic, and was actually the one he was hunting, along with his partner. But as the hunters closed in on her, Wes started to realize that she wasn't really a threat, just a terrified young woman who was on the run, trying to survive. Try as he might, he just couldn't see things as black and white, the way most hunters did, and this caused him to come to blows with his partner. They parted ways, with Wes seeking out Hannah to try and protect her, and the other hunter determined to kill her. When eventually fate conspired to have all three of their paths meet again, a vicious struggle ensued, and the hunter was killed by Wes, who was badly burned as Hannah's emotions caused her to lose control of her powers.

For the second time in his life, he awoke in a strange place, with his burns tended and a relative stranger at his bedside. Hannah had done her best to nurse him back to health, though her skills weren't the equal of Harry's. With Wes' advice and help, though, the pyrokinetic was able to properly care for the hunter's injuries, and he eventually recovered. During this period of downtime, Wes and Hannah forged a bond, and though it was nothing really romantic, they did become close friends, after a fashion. Hitting the road together, Wes did what he could to help the woman rein in her powers, while she in turn assisted in his hunts as much as she could.

The pair spent more than a year on the road together before the dragon caught up with them. They were asleep in a motel room when the building burst into flames around them, waking them both up instantly. Wes leapt out of bed and grabbed his quiver and bow, while Hannah did her best to control the spreading flames, keeping them from reaching her companion. The door exploded inward, forcing Wes to duck to avoid being crushed by it, and there stood the dragon, his face a mask of rage as he strode toward the hunter, flames dancing around him. Hannah screamed in agony and grabbed the sides of her head as she continued to try and control the dragonfire, to no avail. To Wes' horror, the woman burst into unnatural flames, her screams quickly silenced, replaced by his own.

Blinded by rage and smoke, Wes took aim, drew, and sent a dragon-killing shaft at his opponent. Unfortunately, at that very moment, and explosion of fire and air tore through the room, knocking the hunter back through the second-story window. The arrow went just wide of the mark, but still struck the dragon deep in the shoulder, scoring yet another agonizing wound that forced the creature to retreat rather than risk death at the hands of the tenacious young hunter.

For the third time in his short life, Wesley awoke staring at a strange ceiling, his body a mess of burns. Emergency services had picked him up outside of the burning motel, and he was being tended in the local hospital as a John Doe. Deciding he would best be served by keeping up an illusion of confusion and weakness, Wes bode his time until he was fit enough to escape.

It was a very different man who slipped out of that hospital. Plagued by nightmares about fire, and forced to relive the moment of Hannah's death over and over every night, Wes could feel his composure crumbling until there was only a very thin facade of control left. Now, more than a year later, he is a broken man spurred on by one thing and one thing only: the possibility of avenging everyone who was taken away from him, and to end the curse that his family had inadvertently laid upon itself.

Powers and Limitations
None

RP Sample
See Lily Brennan

Player Info
Arius again!
Coded by KALISTA for OOTA
PM 
^
Wesley Matthews
 Posted: Oct 4th 2017, 08:31 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
1 Posts
Straight
Single

Finished!
PM 
^
Kalista
 Posted: Oct 4th 2017, 08:38 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1008 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

Welcome to Istari! For full activation and site access, use the links above to add your new character to the Face Claims and Who Plays Who.
PM 
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic Start Poll

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.