Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic 

Lissa, Apprentice Knight
Lissa
 Posted: Sep 23rd 2017, 08:26 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
6 Posts
Early twenties
Bisexual
Available

User Group
Mortals
Sexuality
Bisexual
Occupation
Bodyguard
Aliases
None
Face Claim
Ivana Baquero
Lissa
And for you, for you I'd weep
For you I'd fall down to my knees
For you I'd die, I'd die a thousand times
For you I'd take out my two brown eyes
Physical Description
Lissa stands a couple inches above five feet, and she has a fit, leanly muscled build to make up for her slight stature. Her hair and eyes are equally dark, and her naturally pale complexion tans quickly and easily, especially after hard days training and working under the sun. Though she used to keep her hair relatively short during her knight training, Lissa has since let it grow out longer in an attempt to change her appearance just enough to throw any pursuers off of her and Astrid's trail.

Having never earned her knight's armor, Lissa instead dresses as a common mercenary, choosing simple leather or hide gear over the more protective plate-mail that she trained with. The only thing that might mark her as more than a simple soldier-for-hire is her longsword, which is of substantially higher quality and workmanship than a mercenary could ever hope to afford. On Earth Lissa's wardrobe consists entirely of "casual" garments like jeans, t-shirts, and hoodies. She doesn't own a dress, or anything else remotely flashy or girly.

Lissa's body bears more than a couple scars, ranging from the small to the rather impressive. A handful of small marks on her hands and feet can be traced back to her days on the streets as a beggar and pickpocket. The rest of her scars are from her knight training, including a particularly long, jagged gash across her back from a mishap while sparring with another trainee.

» Exercise; whether it be combat training, sparring, or even just running or aerobics, Lissa enjoys strenuous physical activity

» Food; having grown up a street urchin, she never turns down a bite to eat, which is probably why she spends as much time exercising as she does

» Horses, dogs, and animals in general; they're easier to understand and deal with than humans and other "intelligent" races

» Watching the sunrise; no matter how late she finally goes to bed, she'll always try her hardest to wake up to greet the dawn; it gives her hope, somehow

» Knowing that she is performing her duty to the utmost of her ability; she takes pride in it, and prays that her mentor is proud of her as well, wherever his spirit resides

Dislikes
» Being hungry and/or dirty; after being taken off the streets, Lissa became obsessive over being full and clean as often as possible

» Anyone who uses their power, status, or money to abuse those "beneath" them

» People leering at or trying to take advantage of Astrid; she's more than a little over-protective

» Knowing that her training was never completed, and that she is too young and inexperienced for the important task that has been thrust upon her

» Not being taken seriously due to her age; she knows that she's inexperienced, but that doesn't mean she wants people to point it out to her all the time

Strengths
» Years on the streets combined with her strenuous training as a knight have turned Lissa into a very effective and skilled fighter, both armed and unarmed

» Though it sort of goes against her code of ethics as a knight, Lissa has a knack for lying, subterfuge, and deception, which goes a long way to help in hiding and protecting Astrid

» She's intensely loyal to not only Astrid, but to anyone who needs her help or protection (though admittedly Astrid's safety always comes first)

» Has a good ear for accents and is a quick study when it comes to languages; she may not be fluent in more than a couple Istaran tongues, but she can fake her way through several more

» Is great with both animals and children; there's something about her that they seem to trust and are drawn to

Weaknesses
» Her selflessness leads more often than not to illnesses and injuries suffered while protecting Astrid and others from harm

» Despite her outward persona, Lissa suffers from a great deal of self-doubt and low self-esteem, particularly concerning her youth and inexperience

» Often keeps her thoughts and feelings bottled up inside, where they can eat away at her

» Has little to no experience with Earth or Earth technology; is a little intimidated by it all, though she'd never admit as much

» Doesn't make connections with others easily, tending to keep everyone comfortably at arms' length; other than Astrid, of course

Goals
» To keep Astrid safe; nothing else really matters in comparison

» Rooting out and destroying the cult that is after Astrid, and that slaughtered her comrades

» To stay at Astrid's side until the end, protecting not only her, but her chosen mate and children someday as well

Fears
» Losing Astrid; protecting her is Lissa's entire reason for existing

» Disappointing the memory of her mentor; she believes his shade his watching over her and the thought of letting him down fills her with fear and shame

» Cars; why anyone would rather drive around in a mindless chunk of metal and explosives instead of a trusty wagon or carriage, or better yet just ride a horse, is beyond her

Personality
Over the years, Lissa developed a tough, self-assured facade to hide the storm of insecurities that lie just beneath the surface. As a girl growing up on the street it was important to hide any part of herself that could come off as weak or afraid, and this was how she was able to survive. Growing older didn't really change anything, because when she was taken in by the Knights of Kiehli and surrounded by other trainees who were both younger and more experienced and confident than her, Lissa was forced to maintain her illusion of confidence and bravado.

Perhaps the only two people to see through Lissa's facade are Ser Rodric--her mentor and sponsor in the knights--and Astrid, though she hides her insecurities and fears from the oracle as much as possible. Deep inside, Lissa is a dramatically scarred soul suffering from a lack of any real self-esteem. Years of being treated like garbage on the streets followed by more years of being the oldest trainee in a group of apprentice knights who were far and away superior to her in terms of confidence and experience destroyed any bit of faith in herself that Lissa might have naturally had. After the destruction of the other knights left Lissa in charge of Astrid's safety, all of this was compounded and made even worse, though as a sort of balance her illusion of strength and confidence seemed to be bolstered as well. There are times when Lissa's hold on her facade is tenuous at best, but she's just stubborn enough--and determined enough to keep Astrid safe at all costs--to be able to keep up appearances no matter what's going on beneath the surface.

Despite all of this, during the very rare times when Lissa feels safe and can actually relax, the young woman opens up and seems like an entirely different person. She's quite intelligent and has a quick wit, which makes it easy for her to pick up on customs and social cues, which in turn allows her to fit in and blend in to any manner of situation. Though she always has her duty and responsibility on her mind, Lissa knows how to enjoy the occasions when she doesn't have to look over her shoulder, though those times are incredibly few and far between.

History
Lissa's earliest years are little more than a blur to her. She has some faint recollection of a woman who always seemed to be sad, who she believes was her mother. She also vaguely remembers a loud, angry man--her father?--but whatever happened to them she doesn't know. Instead her earliest memories are of growing up on the streets with a pack of other urchins, fighting for everything she ever got and struggling to survive not only against the other children, but against slavers, whoremongers, anyone else who sought to exploit the vulnerable young girl.

With her days and nights filled with danger, hunger, and relative misery, Lissa never once realized that she lived in quite a unique place. Masstera was a large town--more of a small city, really--known for producing a powerful oracle every generation. People came from far and wide to speak with this oracle, bringing with them wealth and gifts that made Masstera very prosperous, though Lissa never saw any of that prosperity for herself. With a relatively small standing army, the burden and honor of protecting the oracle fell upon an order of elite soldiers known as the Knights of Kiehli.

Lissa was in her late teens when her life was changed forever by an encounter with a high ranking knight named Ser Rodric. A gang of slavers had sneaked into Masstera intent on capturing some of the street children, and Lissa had stumbled upon their scheme. Though unarmed, Lissa fought against the men with a ferocity that caught them off guard, and their struggle drew the attention of Ser Rodric, who was passing through that part of town on business. With his intervention the fight was ended quickly, and the knight was able to see with his own eyes just how bad things were beneath the facade of Masstera's peace and prosperity. He could no longer ignore the plight of the poor and the street urchins, and he vowed to work with the proper authorities to try and make life safer and more comfortable for them all.

For Lissa, Ser Rodric had something else in mind.

Having seen her dedication to protecting her own and her ferocity in a fight, Ser Rodric decided to take Lissa in as a trainee knight. Usually apprentices were much younger, closer to ten or eleven years old than twenty, but Rodric wanted to give Lissa a purpose, and an outlet for her obvious anger and desire to help those in need. Lissa's world turned around literally overnight, and she found herself with a room of her own in the knights' barracks, fresh food on a regular basis, and a purpose. The training was awkward and uncomfortable at first, as all of her fellow apprentice knights were several years younger than her, but Lissa fell into the routine easily and found the discipline and order surprisingly to her liking.

During her years of training, Lissa and Ser Rodric became very close, and she found in the knight the parental figure that she'd lacked growing up. In Lissa, Ser Rodric had found a daughter, someone to whom he could pass on all of his knowledge and skill. In honor of her twenty-first birthday (they'd chosen the date that he saved her from the street as her birthday, and gave her an approximate age) Ser Rodric presented Lissa with an expertly crafted suit of armor, to be given to her when she ascended to full knighthood. She was also given a matching longsword, which she was allowed to use during her apprenticeship, and which she still carries to this day.

It was around that same birthday that Lissa was introduced to the newest oracle, Astrid. Though female knights were not unheard of, they were fairly rare, and it was decided that Lissa would be a good companion and bodyguard for the oracle since they were roughly the same age. During the next couple years Lissa balanced her knight training with spending time with Astrid, forming a tentative friendship, though Lissa still kept the other young woman at arms' length, afraid to get too close to someone so far above her station. After all, Astrid was the famous and powerful Oracle of Masstera, and Lissa was only an apprentice Knight of Kiehli.

Everything came crashing down shortly after.

In the dead of night, alarms rang out, and Lissa and the other apprentice knights rushed out of the barracks to find the town burning. Knights of Kiehli and the small city guard struggled in the streets with an unknown enemy: well-trained and well-armed soldiers who were cutting a path through the guard with ease. Only the knights seemed able to hold the tide back, but it was obvious that their inferior numbers would soon be overwhelmed. Clad only in her sleeping shift and armed with the longsword that had been gifted to her by Ser Rodric, Lissa fought the enemy in the very streets she'd grown up on, trying to make her way to the oracle's temple to protect Astrid. She was certain she was going to die, but she was determined to die doing what she'd been trained for.

As Lissa reached the temple she was joined by her Ser Rodric, who'd had the same plan as her, to reach Astrid and get her to safety. The knight told his trainee that the army was being led by a powerful witch, and that it was this witch's power that had blinded Astrid to the foreknowledge of the attack. Ser Rodric had been accompanied by five other knights who were all on their way to Astrid, but he was the only one left after an encounter with the witch and her personal bodyguard: soldiers given animalistic attributes and appearances, and who fought with a power that the knights simply couldn't equal. Together Ser Rodric and Lissa fought their way into the temple, and then rushed toward Astrid's quarters. Thankfully the worst of the fighting had been kept out by the temple's wards and other magical defenses, and they were able to get to the oracle with little difficulty.

After gathering up Astrid and the few essentials they'd need for a long journey--including some practical clothing for Lissa--the three of them made their way to the temple's secret underground escape tunnel that would lead them safely out of the city and deep into the surrounding forest. That was when the witch and her forces managed to breach the temple's magical defense, surging in from outside like a tidal wave. Knowing that the two young women would need time to escape, Ser Rodric commanded them to go on without him, then sacrificed himself battling the witch and her beast-men to buy the time Lissa and Astrid needed to get to safety.

Emerging into the forest, Lissa was exhausted, wounded, and filled with horror and despair over the loss of her home and of Ser Rodric. Knowing she had to remain strong for Astrid, she buried all of that deep down inside and instead focused on putting as much distance between fallen Masstera and themselves as possible. She told herself she would deal with her grief later, once they'd reached somewhere safe, and that is what she continues to tell herself to this day.

Many months have passed since the fall of Masstera and the destruction of the Knights of Kiehli. Lissa and Astrid stay on the move, never settling in one place for more than a few days, making what money they can by working as caravan guards or by Astrid plying her trade as a fortune-teller, and they're always on the lookout for agents of the witch who destroyed their home and slaughtered their people. Though currently ignorant of Earth's existence, it's only a matter of time before their adventures--or Astrid's visions--lead them there...

Powers and Limitations
None.

RP Sample
See Lily Brennan.

Player Info
Arius!
Coded by Kalista for Istari
PM 
^
Lissa
 Posted: Oct 6th 2017, 07:17 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
6 Posts
Early twenties
Bisexual
Available

Lissa is all set, and has Kay's approval!
PM 
^
Kalista
 Posted: Oct 17th 2017, 09:35 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1008 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

Welcome to Istari! For full activation and site access, use the links above to add your new character to the Face Claims and Who Plays Who.
PM 
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic 

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.