Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic 

Abigail Brennan, White Witch
Abigail Brennan
 Posted: Feb 5th 2013, 05:45 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
33 Posts
Bisexual
Committed

User Group
Gifted
Sexuality
Bisexual
Occupation
Witch / Hunter
Aliases
Goes by Brennan except with close family and friends
Face Claim
Olivia Wilde
Abigail Elizabeth Brennan

~Life’s not about waiting for the storm to pass~
~It’s about learning to dance in the rain~
Physical Description
Brennan stands about 5’ 8” with a slender, willowy build. Her long days spent on the road keep her figure trim and toned, and she’s more than capable of taking care of herself if something should come up. She has wavy chestnut hair that falls a little way past her shoulders, and in the summer months, the long days spent in the sun lace it with faint natural highlights. She generally doesn’t have a lot of time to style it, so she usually just wears her bangs back or throws it up into a quick twist or clip. She has expressive blue eyes and the long fingers of an artist, which are perfect for making amulets and talismans or playing her violin.

In the modern world, Brennan prefers boot-cut jeans under a simple blouse or fitted tee, sometimes layering or adding a light sweater or jacket in cooler weather. She likes to look stylish, but doesn’t generally go overboard on her wardrobe. She also loves comfortable, low-heeled boots while in either world, and she takes her favorite leather jacket with her almost everywhere. She has several cartilage piercings in one ear, and she generally travels with a variety of new-age jewelry, much of it functional, such as her various amulets and talismans for both protection and business.

Brennan’s fey-hound familiar, Boss, also goes wherever she goes. He stands about as tall as her waist and looks for all intents and purposes like a large Doberman. Fey creatures, clever witches, and other supernatural beings might know otherwise, but his appearance will easily fool most mortals.

» Jogging

» Reading

» Traveling

» Helping others

» Rock climbing

» Working magic

» Thunderstorms

» Horseback riding

» Nighttime, the moon

» Exploring new places

» Working outside, nature

» Spending time with her dad

» Her fey-hound familiar, “Boss”

» Learning new things about her powers

» People who aren’t afraid to stand up for others

» Curling up by the fire with a good book and some spiced chai

Dislikes
» Cruelty

» Black witches

» Feeling incompetent

» Liars or being lied to

» Drugs and cigarettes

» Being cold or getting sick

» Letting a monster escape

» Angry or annoying drunks

» Forced inactivity or confinement

» Things that prey on the weak or helpless

» Losing people or arriving too late to help someone

» People who threaten her or those she cares about

» Not knowing where her visions are coming from or what they might mean

Strengths
» Honest

» Self reliant

» Quick thinking

» Is a powerful spell caster

» Well versed in basic self defense

» Stands by her friends and her beliefs

» Balanced, level-headed, and resourceful

» Knows how to handle a gun, if she has to

» Has a vast web of contacts throughout Istari and Earth

» Is constantly gathering information on a variety of spells, herbal remedies, locations, and supernatural creatures

Weaknesses
» Doesn’t know when to quit

» Cares too much, invests too much of herself

» Will work herself into exhaustion if she’s not careful

» Only has limited knowledge of weapons beyond firearms

» Will go to any lengths to save or protect those she cares about

» Is still learning about the new powers that have recently cropped up

» Knows almost nothing of her mother’s side of the family, or of what she’s getting into

Goals
» Protect those she cares about

» Stay alive for as long as possible

» Lie to people only when necessary

» Find out why she’s having these visions and what they might mean

» Find out more about her mother’s side, their powers, and how to control them

» Take down as many bad things and help as many people as she can before she dies

» Never discriminate against others solely because of their race, color, gender, education, etc.

Fears
» Being burned alive

» What these new powers might mean

» Losing control of her powers and hurting someone

» That one of her loved ones will get hurt or killed, and that

» she’ll never know where they are or what happened to them

» That the things she hunts will strike at her through her loved ones

» That asking questions and poking around in the past will get her into trouble

Personality
Brennan is generally laid back and fun-loving, and she’ll stop at nothing to help and protect those she cares about. When not hunting, she likes to crash with a good book or her current instrument of choice. She sings and plays guitar in her spare time, but the violin is her first love. She takes it with her wherever she goes, and it’s almost become an extension of herself; she never feels quite complete without it. She’s even gone so far as to place an enchantment on it so it won’t get lost or damaged while she’s on the road, which is a lot.

Brennan was raised alone by her dad, a retired cop, and she has him to thank for her sense of justice and her protective instincts. She has no interest in the confined, mundane setting of a police station, though, so she focuses her efforts on Istari, where her powers can really do some good. Like her father, she hunts down those who prey on the innocent, but they usually take on much more interesting and dangerous guises than modern day human criminals. Her father taught her what he could about basic self defense, though, and between that and her powers, Brennan definitely knows how to take care of herself. Having Boss also helps, and he goes wherever she does, making for both a competent hunting partner and/or pillow, whichever is necessary at the time.

On the hunt, Brennan is determined and cunning, and she’s not afraid of traveling long distances to get to where she’s needed. She’s determined and hardworking, and gains great joy and fulfillment from what she does. She loves exploring Istari and discovering various new creatures and places, and she particularly likes poking through the ruins of lost or fallen civilizations. She sells her charms and potions on the side, making a tidy profit on the more frivolous items in the modern world, such as charms to reduce weight, remove wrinkles, or return graying hair to its natural color. She’d never dream of charging too much, if anything, for something that was necessary, though, such as a protection amulet or an enchantment on a fellow hunter’s weapon or armor. Above all else, she wants to help people, and she makes more than enough on the small stuff to be generous when it counts.

History
Brennan was born in Boston, MA, to Lillian Brennan and Glen Connelly. Sadly, her mother died in childbirth, so Glen was left to grieve and raise his infant daughter on his own. There were definitely rough patches, no doubt about it. Glen was a full time cop, and supporting himself and a child in the city on a cop’s pay kept him gone long hours. He loved his daughter, though, and somehow he always managed to make it work. The other police officers, firefighters, and medical workers had a long-standing daycare rotation, and several of the wives – and sometimes even the husbands – took turns watching the children on their days off. Glen might not have gotten to spend quite as much time with his young daughter as he would’ve liked, but he made sure she was cared for in the best way he knew how.

For her part, Brennan loved it. She was very outgoing and liked spending time with the other kids. She also loved hearing the stories the police officers, firefighters, and paramedics would tell, though they were extremely watered down for the children. She knew she wanted to be a police officer like her dad when she grew up, and as she got older, she was even allowed to do her homework at the precinct after school while she waited for her father’s shift to end. It was much easier than trying to find a sitter, and she loved hanging out there and listening to all the activity around her.

In school, Brennan worked hard and was fairly well liked by her classmates. She wasn’t obsessed with getting all A’s, but she did well in her classes, and it looked like she was well on her way to college and a promising future. When Brennan showed an early aptitude for music, one of her teacher’s set up a meeting with her dad and offered to give her private lessons at a discounted price, knowing he would never be able to afford them, otherwise. While Brennan earned high marks in her regular classes, she thrived on her music lessons, soaking up everything she could get her hands on. Her teacher started her out with basic guitar and piano lessons before moving on to the violin. It was then that Brennan found her true passion, even wavering about what her major would be. But Brennan would never make it to college.

Just before Brennan reached her teenage years, something completely unexpected happened. One night while Brennan and her father slept, a fire ravaged their apartment building, killing a handful of the other residents and injuring several others. Brennan and her father’s apartment was directly in the path of the devastation, but for some reason, the fire did very little damage to it, destroying everything around it instead. The fire marshal couldn’t find an explanation and eventually wrote it off as some quirk of the building’s construction, but Brennan knew the truth. Somehow, she had stopped the fire, though she had no idea how.

All Brennan knew was that she’d woken up in the middle of the night and known something was wrong. She’d tried to wake up her father, but he was already overcome by the smoke and barely stirred when she shook him and called his name. The little girl was terrified, barely able to breathe or see anything as she desperately tried to wake him. She finally ran to the door to call for help, but when she reached for the door knob, it was radiating heat, far too hot to touch.

She knew she wasn’t supposed to open a window and give the fire anymore oxygen to burn, but she didn’t know what else to do, and she refused to leave her father behind. She opened it far enough to hang a white shirt out the window, just like he’d taught her, but she was convinced they were both going to die in the flames. This done, Brennan returned to her father’s side and crawled up beside him on the bed, coughing and crying. As she lay there, knowing help wouldn’t come in time, she had the sense of a great force rushing through her before everything went dark.

When Brennan woke up, she was in the hospital, completely exhausted, but otherwise unharmed. The doctors had insisted on keeping her for observation, but she was allowed to leave the next day. Her father had rented a hotel room until they could find a permanent place to stay, and surprisingly, most of their belongings had survived as well. Their insurance was covering their hotel stay until they could find someplace suitable, and with her father’s promotions over the last few years, it looked like they’d be able to afford a much nicer apartment than they’d had before. By all accounts, things were looking up for the pair.

Despite this, Brennan remained quiet and solemn, a drastic contrast to her generally bubbly, fun loving personality. Her father attributed it to the trauma of the fire, but it went much deeper than that. Brennan knew that there was something wrong with her, and she was terrified that someone else would realize it too. She had no idea how she’d done it, and she constantly worried that something else would happen, and maybe this time, it would be while someone else was watching. Worst of all, as the young girl grew more and more agitated and edgy, things happened more and more frequently.

Brennan did everything she could to keep her dad from finding out, but it was bound to happen eventually. Surprisingly, it didn’t go as she’d expected. He wasn’t afraid or angry – in fact, he almost seemed relieved. It was then that he told her about her mother. It turned out that Lillian Brennan had been a very accomplished spell caster before she died, and it seemed Brennan had inherited her gift. Brennan and her dad talked for hours, and eventually, they came to what was going to happen now. One of Lillian’s closest friends had agreed to train the girl when the time came, and Glen thought it might be best if Brennan was homeschooled so she could focus more on her magic until everything was under control. Brennan reluctantly agreed, but warmed to the idea after meeting her new mentor and adjusting to her new life.

Isabel, or Izzie, had been Lillian’s closest friend before she died, and though Brennan was initially nervous around her, Izzie was quick to put her at ease. The two spent long hours together, sometimes drilling on control and technique, other times just talking and philosophizing. Izzie had a warm heart and an infectious personality, and the two grew very close over the next several years. She taught Brennan everything she could about her powers and the world beyond the veil, and eventually Brennan became a learned and competent spell caster herself.

She still continued her music lessons, but she now knew exactly what she wanted to do in life. She still wanted to help and protect people, but she now realized that trying to do so within the confines of the modern world would prove difficult, given her abnormal abilities. Instead, she decided to focus her efforts on Istari, where her powers would do the most good. She adopted her mother’s surname, as magical ability within a family is most often tracked through the female side, and has been traveling ever since. She visits her father and Izzie often, and keeps a small shop in the modern world, where she makes quite a living by selling her charms to those humans who know magic exists.

In Istari, she’s on the road much of the time, traveling with her partner, a dhampir mercenary she crossed paths with a couple years ago. That was when the visions started. When Brennan saw Lily, something sparked in her mind, and a sense of something close to déjà vu played through her mind, though she was sure she’d never met the woman before in her life. She never said anything to her hunting partner, knowing how odd things would sound, but she’s continued to have brief flashes of visions ever since. They don’t happen often, and most of the time, they’re not even about Lily, but Brennan is still troubled by them.

This, paired with an alarming incident that happened during one of their hunts, has spurred her to seek out whatever knowledge she can find about her mother’s family. She traced Lillian’s ancestry back to Ireland, but trying to find details about her relatives, especially about anything involving their magic, has proven exceedingly difficult to come across. Without it, though, Brennan fears she’ll never learn how to unlock and control whatever powers are burgeoning within her, or what they might mean. She knows enough about her mother’s past to know that Lillian would never have dabbled in the black arts, at least, but there’s no telling what the rest of her family was involved in or what they were capable of. She doesn’t trust these new abilities yet, and when not hunting, she’s determined to figure out what it all means.

Assuming she’s not just going crazy…

Powers and Limitations
» Natural Witchcraft: Brennan can perform spells and rituals that require innate magical ability, such as conjuration, summoning, illusion, alteration, charms, hexes, etc. This drains her reserves in direct response to how large an effect she’s trying to bring about. Small to moderate effects can often be performed with a simple incantation or hand gesture on a fairly frequent basis. Preparation, focus objects, tools, special ingredients, and rituals may take longer to set up, but help focus her intent and will negate a great deal of this effort (though not all), especially for larger spells. Larger effects almost always require these implements, unless she is absolutely desperate. Even then, performing large magics without prior preparation can leave her drained for an extended period, sometimes accompanied by a splitting headache or unconsciousness. When channeling that much magical energy without a focus or safeguards in place, she also risks losing control and seriously harming herself and/or those around her.

Drawing energy from outside herself, such as a leyline, familiar, or another natural source, will greatly increase the size of the spells she’s able to work, though handling and controlling that much magic will still drain her reserves. When dealing with ritual magic, the success of the ritual is dependent upon its proper performance, correct ingredients, and the absence of any powers working against its intent (such as charms that ward against scrying or anti-summoning sigils). She is also able to shield her mind against magical tampering or attack, though this shielding does not work well against mental gifts, such as telepathy or mental probing, only acting as a slight deterrent at best.

She also has the ability to imbue salves, ointments, teas, etc. with mild healing/restorative magic. These are natural remedies whose healing properties have been heightened by the infusion of her personal power. They may shorten recovery time and/or cause someone to heal more thoroughly with less scarring, though not everyone reacts the same.

As a descendant of a line of witches specializing in protection magic, one of her personal talents is the ability to call up magical barriers, though they may collapse if enough force is exerted on them. Several people may cause this, or a strong supernatural creature or opposing magical force. The destruction of a magical barrier will generally send her reeling, and trying to hold one against a strong force is very draining. She must put at least a little thought into maintaining the barrier, and if she falls asleep or is knocked unconscious, the barrier will instantly fall. These barriers, roughly six to eight feet in diameter and usually spherical, are also unable to be moved once they are set, but instead must be banished and then summoned to another location. The more she summons in quick succession, the more draining it is. A circle of salt, on the other hand, will act as a focus, and protective barriers set along a salt line will be stronger and require less energy to hold. Observant people or those with heightened abilities may be able to sense the presence of these barriers, usually as a slight tingle, hum, waver, distortion, or charge in the air if they have no magical sight of their own.

» Healing / Life Force Manipulation: Brennan often heals well with little scarring, and this ability will ultimately extend her lifespan, though not nearly as much as spells and magic intended for that purpose. She has currently only started to learn to use this partially-awakened ability, and while she is consciously able to heal herself and others of non-fatal injuries, it’s quite draining. To accomplish this, she enters a half-trance in which she can sense injury and see a person’s aura and the flow of energy throughout their body. She can still absently sense and interact with the world around her during this time, but she requires a good deal of concentration and has to stay in this trance as she manipulates energy to accomplish healing. The more severe the injury, the longer it takes, and the more energy and concentration it will require.

If a person is close to death, there is also the risk that Brennan will be dragged down as well if she tries to pull them back. Even if someone isn’t close to death, healing generally takes a great deal of energy, leaving Brennan weak and tired afterward. She also often experiences backlash, usually in the form of phantom echoes as if she had suffered the person’s injuries herself. Healing herself doesn’t generally cause as much fatigue, but requires a deeper trance to accomplish.

RP Sample
Brennan strolled purposefully through the field, her long-legged, rolling gait making it easy to navigate the uneven terrain in the deceptive moonlight. Boss trotted by her side, tongue lolling, now and then lifting his head to scent the air. It really was a beautiful night. The sky was clear and full of a swirling array of glittering stars. Sheep milled in the adjoining fields, drowsing or bleating quietly back and forth to each other. A forest rose up around the little farm on three sides, as if it were holding it close to the hillside, guarding it from the rest of the world. The breeze that sang through the ancient trees was warm and refreshing, carrying with it the scent of cut hay and running water.

And death.

Brennan frowned as she reached her destination, squatting carefully beside a swath of bloated carcasses. Glancing around to make sure she was out of sight of anyone, the witch turned and conjured a softly glowing ball of light, bending in for a closer look. The heat of the past week had sped along the process of decay, but based on the reports and what she saw here, the killings were recent; probably no more than a day or two. Good. That meant she wasn’t far behind it, now. She’d been chasing the stupid Were up one side of this godforsaken mountain and down the other for weeks, her efforts constantly hindered by the fact that she had to keep her powers under wraps. She didn’t take as many hunts in the modern world as she did in Istari, but this guy had racked up quite a body count.

Sighing, Brennan pushed herself to her feet and glanced toward the thick forest, scanning the tree line for anything useful. She was heading for a patch of churned up earth near the edge of the trees when the hair stood up on the back of her neck and she froze. Boss stood just ahead of her, muscles taut, a low, rumbling growl emanating from deep within his chest as waves of tension rolled off him. Brennan swore under her breath, reaching for her gun as Boss slowly turned his head to watch the unseen shape slinking quietly through the trees. Looks like she’d have a shot at this thing sooner than she’d thought.

Brennan barely had time to settle the semiautomatic pistol securely in her hands when a dark shape burst from the trees, snarling as it charged her. The witch fired off three quick rounds, then quickly ducked and rolled to the side, barely avoiding the gnashing jaws. Then Boss was on it, letting out an eerie battle cry as he launched himself onto the creature’s shoulders and buried his teeth in its neck. It was at about that point when Brennan realized that she’d ducked and rolled right through a puddle of one of the corpse’s leaking juices. Clenching her teeth to keep from gagging, she sighted in on the angry Were and gave a sharp whistle.

“Boss! Clear out!” she mentally shouted, holding her aim steady on the hulking form.

The massive Doberman-like feyhound instantly released his hold on the struggling beast and leaped away, letting Brennan get in another trio of closely placed shots. The Were yelped in pain as the silver rounds made contact, shying back and tucking its tail as it streaked back toward the dark forest. Swearing again, Brennan started after it, nearly losing her footing and falling on the slippery guts littering the ground. Pausing at the edge of the forest, she peeked around the curve of a tree trunk and looked after the sound of something large breaking through the underbrush. Sighing and holding her arms out from herself, she took stock of her miserable appearance. Ugh, not to mention the smell.

Brennan scowled and dropped her arms, glancing longingly back toward the unseen road, where her Explorer and a clean change of clothes waited for her. Yeah, that wasn’t going to happen anytime soon. Shaking her head, the witch gestured her still-glowing ball of light through the trees, scanning the ground for the expected trail of blood. With the way the Were had taken off, she'd have to haul ass, or she'd be on this mountain all night. Stepping carefully into the forest’s embrace, Brennan whistled for Boss and asked him to track, scowling as he caught a whiff of her and sneezed, pawing at his face.

“What are you looking at?” she muttered, glaring reproachfully at her familiar and starting off through the trees.

Oh, yeah. It was going to be one of those nights.

Player Info
Well met! I’m Kalista, founder and co-creator of Istari. I’m just over 30, and I’ve been RPing for over a decade now. You can find a list of my current characters here, with many more to follow. Hit me up here or on Skype if you need anything!
Coded by Kalista for Istari

--------------------
user posted image
PM 
^
Arius
 Posted: Apr 20th 2013, 07:05 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
2215 Posts
N/A
N/A
N/A

This application has been unlocked for updates.

--------------------
user posted image
PM 
^
Abigail Brennan
 Posted: Mar 30th 2015, 09:20 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
33 Posts
Bisexual
Committed

No edits necessary.

--------------------
user posted image
PM 
^
Arius
 Posted: Mar 31st 2015, 07:09 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
2215 Posts
N/A
N/A
N/A

user posted image

--------------------
user posted image
PM 
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic 

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.