Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic 

Darian Raniari, Resurrected Human
Darian Raniari
 Posted: Apr 25th 2017, 02:20 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
11 Posts
Straight
Available

User Group
Uniques
Sexuality
Straight
Occupation
Hunter, more or less
Aliases
D
Face Claim
Charlie Hunnam
Darian Alexandre Raniari
This life is part of a struggle
Searching for balance and truth in the rubble
The answer that you seek, always right at your feet
If you want the proof then go dig up the grave
Physical Description
Darian has thick, dirty blonde hair and a pair of clear, expressive blue eyes. He's a bit taller than Sastre was, and while his brother's physique was leanly muscled rather than bulky, Darian has a thicker, more muscular build. That muscular body is laced with an impressive amount of scars ranging from stab wounds and gun shots, to claw slashes and bite marks, and others, all hard earned during a long life of violence and hunting.

Darian's style can change drastically depending on the job he's working. Typically he dresses casually in a pair of old, comfortable jeans and a simple t-shirt, but on occasion he's been known to fill out a suit impressively when posing as a detective or federal agent. His Istaran wardrobe is what most people would consider shabby, as he finds it easier to fit in and move among the less fortunate there, rather than trying to pose as a rich merchant or member of the nobility.

» Being alive; few people get a second chance, and he refuses to waste his

» Helping people in any way that he can

» Good food and drink, when he can get them; growing up orphaned and alone on the street gave him a respect for food that most people never learn

» The desert; the best memories from his early life are all from his time in the New Mexico desert, training with his brother and friend

» Possessing the sure and certain knowledge that his brother has forged his own path, independent of Darian's potential interference and/or meddling

Dislikes
» The relative vagueness of his visions; how can he try to make a difference if he can't fully understand what he's seeing?

» Those who don't appreciate what they have in general, and their families in particular

» Earth; it's far easier to operate in Istari, which has fewer regulations and legalities

» Horses; he's never been comfortable with them for whatever reason, and prefers to travel on his own two feet or by wagon, if he must

» Not being able to be with his brother; he knows he can't, and he understands why, but it hurts him nonetheless

Strengths
» Has learned to speak several languages during his travels, mostly Istaran

» Was one of three boys to recieve the Sastre Quicksilver training, and as such, he's a hunter par excellence

» Is quite physically strong; what he might lack in grace or agility he more than makes up for in brute force and raw strength

» Has covered a lot of land in his travels, giving him an almost preternatural sense of direction and geography

» His powers and abilities give him the upper hand against magic users and other energy manipulators, when compared to your average, run-of-the-mill human hunter

Weaknesses
» His precognition is unreliable, and visions come upon him with no discernible pattern or warning

» Despite being brought back to life, and despite the unusual powers he gained upon his return, Darian is still a normal human being with human weaknesses, and that means he can be killed as such

» Has no true connections with anyone and no one to lean on, beyond a small handful of contacts in the hunting world; keeping people at arms' length makes such connections difficult to establish

» His dislike of and reticence around horses makes travel difficult; it can take him a bit longer to get from point A to point B than it does most people; that isn't to say he won't mount up in the case of an emergency, though... he'd just rather not

» His brother; if someone or something found out about their connection, Darian knows Sastre could be used against him, and vice-versa; better to stay as far apart as possible, for both their sakes

Goals
» Let his brother live his own life without interference, no matter how badly Darian wants to be at his side

» Live, plain and simple; dying has a way of making one appreciate life all the more

» Continue to hone his skills as a warrior and hunter, and maybe find someone to pass his knowledge on to

Fears
» Interfering with Sastre's fate and future, either through his own means or someone else's

» Horses; not a fear so much as they just make him nervous and uncomfortable; he doesn't know why, it's just always been that way for as long as he can remember

» That someday his visions will progress to the point where they're just breaking over him continually like waves on the shore; undoubtedly this would drive him mad

Personality
Darian is surprisingly light-hearted, for a hunter, most likely because he knows that this is his second chance at life, and he doesn't want to waste it wallowing and brooding. That doesn't mean he doesn't take his job seriously though, it just means that when he's enjoying some off time, he doesn't dwell on the negative aspects of his life and his work as a hunter. There are times that he slips into a dark, introspective mood, but those times are few and far between. He'd rather live life looking toward the future than remain anchored by the past.

In general, Darian is a likeable person who seems to project a trustworthy aura. People tend to be drawn to him, though whether that's due to his light, easy-going personality or to some unknowable side-effect of having been previously dead, Darian isn't sure. He enjoys being around people--to a point--and knows how to have a good time when the situation calls for it. Old habits die hard, though, and like Sastre, Darian tends to subconsciously keep people at arms' length, not really letting himself get too close to anyone. A lot of this is due to his old training, and the fear that his job will get the people he cares about hurt.

Returning from the dead is something that still affects Darian, and he knows it probably will for the rest of his life. A part of him will always be there, on the "other side", and that means he always feels a little like he's living in both places at the same time. He sees things and experiences things that aren't always there (or that at least aren't always readily apparent to someone who hasn't been beyond the veil), and as such some people are likely to be disconcerted around him on the rare occasions his attention and/or focus slips.

History
On a small estate called Gryphon's Hollow, in the human kingdom of Westenra, Darian was born to Henri and Dominique Raniari. The Raniari family was a family of trusted servants, with ties going back generations to the wealthy aristocratic LeDucs. Unlike many servant/master arrangements, the Raniaris were treated more like extended members of the LeDuc family, making for a peaceful, idyllic life for Darian while growing up. Julien LeDuc, oldest son and heir to the estate and fortune, was only a couple years older than Darian, and they were close friends, always running about causing trouble or getting into mischief. When Darian's little brother Florian was born, he was immediately taken into the older boys' world of imaginary adventures and stories, and the three of them formed an incredibly tight bond during their early, happy years.

Unfortunately, those peaceful days were destined to come to an early, tragic end. Darian was ten years old when an army of vampires descended upon Westenra, murdering or enslaving everyone and taking the kingdom for their own. With Julien's help, Darian was able to narrowly escape the destruction of Gryphon's Hollow, and the three boys fled to safety on Earth, using a nearby Gate that exited in Paris, France. Hunger, cold, and fear became regular parts of their lives for the next two years as they struggled to survive on the streets of Paris, afraid to approach anyone for help for fear of being separated or worse.

It was then that they came to the attention of a mysterious old traveler, who took them in and coaxed their story out of them. He told them that his name was Sastre Quicksilver, and that he hunted monsters such as those who had destroyed their home. Sensing the resourcefulness of the boys, and their desire to avenge their families, Sastre decided to train them as hunters. Taking the children back to America with him, Sastre began their training immediately, and it consumed the next several years of their lives.

Finally, after all their years of training, Sastre told the children his secret: he wasn’t the first hunter to claim the name “Sastre Quicksilver.” It was actually something of a title, passed down from ancient times from master to student, an honor reserved for the best and most dedicated of hunters. This title, he then bestowed upon Julien LeDuc, who had proven to be the most skilled among them during the training. A few weeks later, the former Sastre—now called simply “the Old Man” by the others—led the boys on their first real hunt.

The vampire nest that they had targeted turned out to be much larger and more powerful than any of them had dreamed, and the hunt quickly went south. Darian found himself surrounded by blood-drinkers, and as they overpowered him and dragged him away into the depths of their lair, he watched Julien/Sastre get torn apart by the beasts. The fates of his brother and their teacher were left unknown to him as he was taken down into the bowels of the earth, where the vampires spent several days draining him slowly before he finally succumbed to death by blood loss.

It felt like an eternity that Darian drifted in a dark void, all of his earthly senses gone. This was disconcerting to say the least, but it was nothing compared to the sudden pulling he felt on his not-body. Something was exerting a pressure on him, crushing him and pulling him out of the void and into a bright, hot light, a familiar light, and a familiar face.

The weathered face of the old woman was framed by high afternoon sunlight, and the familiar dry heat of the New Mexico desert was a welcome change from the cold, dark void. This was one of the places the Old Man had brought the three boys to train, the place that had been as close to a home as any of them had had since the destruction of Gryphon's Hollow: Four Corners, New Mexico, home to the mysterious and powerful Navajo medicine woman Sialea-lea.

Before he could really even register the fact that she was explaining how she'd been struggling for months to "pull him back", Darian had his first precognitive vision. In this vision, he saw the life and future of his brother Florian, knowing that he had become the next Sastre Quicksilver. Sastre's life would be one of trials and tribulations, victory and loss, but in the end, Darian knew that his little brother would save countless lives, and change countless others for the better. Sialea-lea's voice broke through the vision, telling Darian that his brother would need him, that he had to go to him, but Darian knew that he couldn't. Somehow he knew--he knew--that if he reunited with Florian, it would disrupt everything he'd foreseen, and that all those changed and saved lives would never be.

Florian would become a great hunter, but he would do so without Darian's intervention.

This is what he told Sialea-lea, and during the next several weeks of his recovery, he swore her to secrecy on the subject of his resurrection. Concerning the resurrection itself, it seemed Sialea-lea wasn't without some secrets of her own, and Darian never did fully come to understand how she'd managed to, in her words, "pull him back through", though he could tell it had cost her a great deal in personal power and energy. It was also during this time that he came to realize that he'd been brought back... changed. He could see and sense things now that he couldn't before, such as spirits and currents of energy, and the precognitive visions and dreams came and went, though few were as powerful or detailed of the one concerning his brother.

Once he was sufficiently recovered from his resurrection and had learned to control his powers--as much as they could be controlled--from Sialea-lea, Darian took his leave of Four Corners and set out into the wide world, and beyond. In the years that've followed, Darian has wandered both Earth and Istari, hunting primarily, but also acting as a bodyguard, protector, and liberator when the need arises. He has so far been able to avoid contact with Sastre, due in part to his visions and dreams, and by using the alias "D" he has been able to keep his name separate from his growing reputation.

Powers and Limitations
» Sight Beyond Sight: Having passed "beyond the veil", Darian came back with the ability to see, hear, and communicate with "insubstantial" creatures such as ghosts and inhuman spirits. He can also see the energy flows around Gates, leylines, and nodes, though he has no ability to manipulate them as he's not a mage of any sort.

» Precognition: This is another "gift" that Darian came back with. At times of great stress, or when he's sleeping deeply, he will sometimes have visions or dreams of possible futures. He has no control over this ability.

RP Sample
See Lily.

Player Info
Arius!
Coded by Kalista for Istari
PM 
^
Kalista
 Posted: Apr 26th 2017, 07:12 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1008 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

user posted image
PM 
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic 

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.