Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic 

Kestiel, Half Elf Sorceress
Kestiel
 Posted: Apr 1st 2017, 08:15 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
16 Posts
Around 120
Bisexual
Available

User Group
Feyborn
Sexuality
Bisexual
Occupation
Wandering sorceress
Aliases
The Maid of Fire and Ice; Ember; Iceheart; Dragonkin; The Dragon's Daughter
Face Claim
Eleanor Tomlinson
Kestiel
You can't live without the fire
It's the heat that makes you strong
'Cause you're born to live and fight it all away
Physical Description
A perfect balance between her two parental races, Kestiel has an elf's litheness and grace, but a human's shorter stature and less elegant features. Her thick, lustrous red hair is almost certainly a trait inherited from her father, as the Winterkin elves have locks of an almost uniform silvery white, but the ice blue eyes that stare out from her pale face are undoubtedly a genetic gift from her mother. Kestiel's ears are also somewhere in between, being neither completely rounded nor fully pointed; in short, it is her ears that set her apart from both races, making it impossible to blend in as one or the other.

Though the ears cause her some annoyance, the one physical feature that Kestiel considers a true curse is the blood-red, dragon-shaped birthmark that covers most of her back. Looking more like a drawing or tattoo than a true birthmark, the dragon appears almost sketched in lines of red, a long, sinuous shape with wings that spread out and across her shoulder blades, a pointed tail that ends at her tailbone, and head that rests in the exact center of the back of her neck. This is L'Grea's mark, staking her claim on the half elf's flesh and declaring her "ownership".

Kestiel's physical appearance does change slightly when her inner power comes to the fore, with her pale blue eyes becoming a deep, pulsing crimson, and her skin paling until it takes on a decidedly corpse-like hue, as if all of the life is being drained out of her. An aura of wispy, fiery energy encapsulates her, expanding outward into what many describe as a sort of spectral dragon, with Kestiel at its core.

» Freedom, and knowing that her thoughts and personality are fully her own, maybe for the first time ever

» When people are able to see beyond her past and appreciate the new person she's become

» Practicing her arts, though they aren't exactly cooperative at the moment

» Doing good, and righting the wrongs of her past; it's tedious, grueling work, but fulfilling

» Music; it used to frustrate her and put her on edge, but now she loves it, and though she'd never admit it, she'd like to learn how to make it

Dislikes
» Facing the damage she's done, and having to look in the eye people she's hurt

» Knowing that somewhere deep inside of her, L'Grea is still there, sleeping, but waiting

» Hard physical labor; there are some things that need doing that her magic just can't do

» The current, weakened state of her magic; she knows that she is the real root of the problem, but dwelling on that just makes her more upset

» People who don't understand magic, and think that she can just wiggle her fingers and make things happen

Strengths
» Though weakened, her powers are still formidable, and their potency is tied into her temper and her will power

» She's too stubborn and proud to quit something once she's started, and that tenacity has seen her through many so-called "unwinnable" situations

» Due to her training with Sha'Halud, Kestiel has great mental fortitude, allowing her to keep L'Grea buried deep and to fight off unwanted mental intrusions

» Has a broad, deep knowledge of arcane lore, and though much of it is unusable to her, having an understanding of it is a boon

» Having the reborn soul of an ancient dragon lends her a sort of wisdom and experience beyond her mere century of life... sometimes

Weaknesses
» Kestiel may be a bit hardier than a human, but generally anything that can kill a human can kill her as well; she's also susceptible to both elven and human diseases, poisons, and the like

» Wounds inflicted with cold iron heal more slowly and are prone to infection, though not as bad as if she was a full-blooded fey

» As a sorceress, her magical strength is directly tied to her will power and force of personality; at the moment, that means her powers are rather diminished, at least until she finds her footing again

» Temper, temper, temper; she still has a notoriously short fuse, though she's better at keeping and/or regaining her cool than she used to be

» Due to her past mistakes, Kestiel has no friends, allies, or any real support structure; she's on her own, and though some of the blame can be cast on L'Grea's influence, Kestiel has owned up to her part in it all

Goals
» Rid herself of L'Grea once and for all, somehow

» Repair the damage she's done over the course of her life; this isn't going to be easy, and it isn't going to be over at any point in the near future

» Regain her former strength of will to see her magic restored to its true power

Fears
» First and foremost, losing her temper and having L'Grea take control again; maybe Sha'Halud won't be able to save her next time

» Never regaining her former strength and control

» Letting herself down; she vowed to right her wrongs, but what if she can't? What if she isn't strong enough?

Personality
The "old" Kestiel who rightly earned the title "Maid of Fire and Ice" due to her frequent, extreme personality changes is, simply put, no more. How much of that was her own anger and insecurities and how much was L'Grea's influence on her mind and emotions Kestiel doesn't know, but in the end it doesn't matter. She's taken full responsibility for her actions of the past, and she's determined to right her wrongs no matter what the cost. Her years in seclusion with Sha'Halud--who was once a terrible force for evil but had since found redemption and purpose--showed her that there was another way, and that she didn't have to be a slave to her past, or to the past of the creature that shared her body with her.

Of course, that isn't to say that Kestiel's infamous temper is completely gone. She's only human (or half human, really) after all, and that means that she still makes mistakes and still has struggles of her own. She can be easily irritable, and she often has to fight her baser instincts to keep from being vindictive, mean, or just plain petty. What makes things different than before, though, is the fact that when she does lash out at someone or treat them poorly, she almost always apologizes and tries to make up for it, once she's had a chance to cool down.

In a lot of ways, Kestiel is having to start over and discover her personality all over again. She's still weighed down by many of the insecurities of her childhood and early years, and all of that combined with this new crisis has led to her willpower and self-esteem being at an all time low. As someone who's magical prowess is so tied in with her mental state, this is a huge blow to Kestiel, and she's constantly trying to "get her feet back under her", so to speak. It's a difficult task, and one that she often thinks might be impossible, but in this case, her old stubbornness and refusal to bend or break might just see her through.

History
In ancient times, a pair of monstrous, wicked red dragons were the scourge of Istari, pillaging and destroying at their whim. Sha'Halud and his daughter L'Grea were nightmares given flesh, and no man, army, or sorcerer could stand against their combined might. After centuries of terror, though, Sha'Halud tired of the destruction he left in his wake, and he forsook the life of evil he'd led and went away in exile, never to be seen or heard from again. Without her father's power at her back, L'Grea eventually met her demise at the hands of a party of mortal champions who defeated her after days of grueling combat.

Through fate's intervention or some grand cosmic mistake, L'Grea's soul didn't pass on to the other side, and remained in limbo, adrift and asleep in the void. After many long ages, there was a stirring, and L'Grea's soul was plucked from the endless darkness only to be deposited in the most unlikely of bodies.

Kestiel was born from the one night of passion between a wandering human wizard and a Winterkin elven woman from the high, snowy peaks of northern Istari. The labor was difficult, and Kestiel's mother died bringing her into the world, as ill an omen as the large, blood-red dragon birthmark that marred the baby's flesh. Kestiel was taken in by the community, though she wasn't treated particularly well during her youth, due to her heritage and the "dragonmark" that she'd been born with. The other children were unkind to her, calling her hurtful names and teasing her endlessly while the adults conveniently ignored what was happening under their noses.

When Kestiel was twelve years old, she lashed out with the magic she'd apparently inherited from her human father, setting two children ablaze in the blink of an eye. A mixture of horror and satisfaction filled her at that moment, and before she could hurt anyone else, she fled into the mountains, leaving the place of her birth far behind her forever. If any of the Winterkin elves made chase, or set a price on her head, Kestiel never learned of it, as she used her burgeoning magic to make her way far to the south, where she hoped she might find answers about the strange... presence she now felt raging inside of her.

Years of wandering, adventures, and trials eventually led her to the Academe Arcana, a community built on an island in the center of an inland, fresh-water sea. It was here that would-be mages from around the world came to learn, to teach, and to master and perfect their craft. Kestiel felt for the first time that she might have found a place she could belong, perhaps even thrive with the proper teaching and attention, but unfortunately for her, she was unsuited to the sort of magic worked in the Academe. Her failures to learn even the simplest forms of spells and rituals brought forth the usual teasing and torment from the other students, causing her to further distance herself from everyone, though at least this time she was able to keep a firm rein on the destructive force that slumbered within.

Kestiel left the Academe after a few short years, and though her treatment at the hands of the other students was a major factor in her departure, there was something else that had drawn her attention. During her years of study, she'd learned that rumor and legend claimed a powerful dragon slumbered in the mountains to the south of the inland sea. When she first heard this whispered by the other students, something seemed to click in her mind, and finding this dragon became an immediate obsession. When the time came and she left the island, Kestiel did so with a stolen collection of spellbooks and other arcane paraphernalia, determined to find the dragon, best him in magical combat, and thereby compel him to teach his secret magics to her.

It took months of searching before Kestiel finally found the dragon's lair, and as she descended into the depths with only a small magelight to show the way, she was blissfully unaware that the creature she was seeking was the legendary Sha'Halud. He was old, and blind, and tired, but still a force to be reckoned with, and Kestiel was quickly and easily bested by him in an all-too-short battle of magics that rocked the very mountain above them. Before dealing the final blow, though, Sha'Halud sensed something impossibly familiar within his cowering opponent: deep inside of the young half elf slumbered the soul of his long-dead daughter L'Grea. So, rather than destroying Kestiel, Sha'Halud took her under his wing and spent the next several years teaching her his arts, and revealing to her all of his secrets.

Decades passed, and Kestiel traveled both worlds in an attempt to master not only her magicks, but to also come to terms with the darkness that she could feel sleeping inside of her. She made something of a bad reputation for herself after her many adventures, coming across as reckless, dangerous, and unforgiving. She had few allies and no friends, and though she tried to put on an uncaring front, the truth was that Kestiel was only growing lonelier and more bitter as the years passed. Regardless, she continued to travel and undertake quests and adventures, both to increase her fame and notoriety, and to try and find a way to control the evil power that seemed to drive her more and more with each passing day.

It was during battle with a trio of powerful necromancers that Kestiel's control finally slipped, and L'Grea's personality and power came to the fore. Kestiel had been working with a small group of adventurers that had tracked the necromancers to a small city on the eastern coast of Istari's largest continent. The battle that ensued was nightmarish, with dozens of undead warriors acting as shock troops as the necromancers rained down dark magic upon the adventurers, and in the end it was too much for Kestiel. The moment her control wavered, L'Grea took over, and from Kestiel's body sprung an enormous, spectral red dragon, with the half-elf sorceress floating as if asleep at the center of the manifestation.

While it's true that L'Grea was able to make short work of the necromancers and their minions, she also lashed out at anyone and everything she could, including Kestiel's party of adventurers, civilians from the city, and the city itself. For hours the ancient dragon spirit laid waste to the city, a seemingly unstoppable force with Kestiel at her center. Thousands died, and thousands more were injured, and the city itself was all but leveled before salvation came from a most unexpected source: Sha'Halud.

A decaying, blind, red dragon no longer, the Sha'Halud who dropped from the sky to put an end to his daughter's rampage was a nearly divine creature with scales of gleaming gold. Through his magic and his indomitable will, Sha'Halud was able to subdue L'Grea, forcing her manifestation back into Kestiel's body before spiriting the unconscious sorceress away, leaving the remains of her party and the ruins of the smoldering city far behind.

Kestiel spent nearly five years in the company of her old teacher, and during that time she learned that after millenia in exile and penance, Sha'Halud had been chosen by the gods of Istari to be one of their emissaries, to guide the lesser beings of their world and to protect them. His close bond to both Kestiel and L'Grea caused him to feel his daughter's reemergence into the physical world, and he knew he was the only one strong enough to stop her, and stop her he had.

It was during this time together that Sha'Halud used his newly-granted arts to help pacify L'Grea's spirit, burying her more deeply within Kestiel's flesh than she'd been before. The great dragon spirit was still there, and always would be, but she was no longer lurking so close to the surface, ready to take control at the first moment of weakness. He also taught Kestiel ways to keep her emotions stable, and techniques to quell L'Grea's spirit if it began to stir again. All of this caused profound changes in Kestiel, peeling away her old facade one layer at a time until the real, frightened, insecure woman beneath was exposed to the world, probably for the first time.

It was a greatly changed Kestiel who finally emerged from Sha'Halud's lair five years later, a Kestiel determined to right the wrongs she'd committed during her years of being subtly influenced by L'Grea. With her strength diminished due to self-doubt and lack of will power (the driving force for a sorceress such as herself), Kestiel is struggling to make her way in a world where she's still known by her old reputation and temper. Feared by some, hated by others, she wanders Istari on her own personal quest of redemption, one that she often fears is bound to end in either failure or flames...

Powers and Limitations
» Winterkin Heritage: As a half Winterkin elf, Kestiel has a longer lifespan and slightly better senses than a human. She can endure freezing temperatures much better than humans, and she has a deep affinity for ice, snow, and cold-related magic.

» Dragonmark / Draconic Heritage: Kestiel has innate knowledge and understanding of the draconic language, and she is able to read, write and speak it fluently with no prior training or study. She has a very strong resistance to fire, both natural and magical, as well as a deep affinity for fire magic. The sleeping draconic spirit inside of her provides Kestiel with a well of destructive power which she can draw upon in times of great stress or need. Since this spirit is sentient, it is always seeking a way to gain control of Kestiel's body, often exerting its force during times of emotional turmoil.

» Sorcery: Kestiel is a skilled practitioner of basic magical spells, but she specializes in commanding the elements through sheer force of will. The forces of fire, ice, lightning, and the like are all at her disposal, so long as she has the necessary will power to control them. It should be noted that at this point in her character arc, Kestiel's will power is at an all time low, making performing any big display of magic difficult, if not impossible.

RP Sample
See Lily.

Player Info
Arius, bringing back a revamped version of one of my favorite D&D characters!
Coded by Kalista for Istari
PM 
^
Kestiel
 Posted: Apr 4th 2017, 08:45 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
16 Posts
Around 120
Bisexual
Available

Done!
PM 
^
Kalista
 Posted: Apr 5th 2017, 05:08 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1008 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

user posted image
PM 
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic 

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.