Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic Start Poll

Walking Between the Worlds
Kalista
 Posted: Jan 20th 2013, 08:59 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1008 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

Walking Between the Worlds

Istari and Earth have long coexisted, side by side, closely tied to each other – almost overlapping in places – but always separated by a veil. This veil isn't perfect, however. Energy from both worlds collects and spills over in places where the veil is thin, just as water will collect in a seam of soft rock, eventually carving a path. Humans have taken to calling these seams “leylines.” These leylines provide a ready source of magical energy to the modern world, as well as allowing modern technology to work within close proximity in Istari.

When several leylines converge, they create a great pool of energy available to either world, and it’s in these places where the veil is thinnest. Because of this excess power and the thinning of the veil, these nodes offer the perfect set of conditions to host a Gateway between the worlds. These all but invisible Gateways bridge the gap between Istari and Earth, but though it’s easiest to travel straight through from one world to the next, with a little magical aid, it’s also possible to reach one Gate from any other.

Some of these Gates form on their own by the natural thinning of the veil; others are torn open when a massively traumatic event occurs. The aftermath of violent warfare has long been associated with supernatural events or visitations, and former battlefields are still one of the most popular supernatural attractions. While this sort of large-scale trauma causes the most tearing to occur, any acute trauma may damage the veil. Murder, abuse, even severe emotional states can cause small rents to appear, and the more often something like this happens in the same place, the larger the hole becomes. This acts as a beacon to all manner of spirits and dark creatures, and unexplained sightings around these areas are common.

Still other Gateways are intentionally fortified and maintained by members of the intelligent races. It can be very beneficial to have a dedicated access point into the modern world, and many individuals who enjoy a taste of modern technology will found Istarin settlements around a Gate specifically to take advantage of the overspill. Races who take advantage of a Gate in this way may also try to magically safeguard it against attacks or unwanted guests. With the right spells and preparations, a powerful mage or group of mages may be able to hide or disguise a Gate's location or energy signature, booby trap it, or even close it off to unwanted travelers completely. This is common of Gates found near the capitol or other strategic locations within a large civilization, but any who cherish their privacy or fear an attack may go to these lengths.

Other races or creatures might make regular trips into the modern world, especially if they’re from a race of predators, such as some vampires or shapeshifters. Fey creatures especially are known for being able to sense Gates and pass through them at will. If the Gate leads to a remote location on Earth, one of their favorite pastimes is travelling through it and spending a night of dancing, revelry, and abandonment before making their way back to their own realm. There are countless tales of humans encountering elves in this way, some of which unknowingly follow the mysterious revelers back into Istari. These hapless humans quickly learn that traveling between the worlds isn’t as easy as it sounds.

Many of them soon come to realize that time and distance can be a funny thing from one world to the next. In some places, time moves just as it’s expected to – at exactly the same rate as it does on Earth, morning to evening to night. Other parts of Istari, however, are not so accommodating. Time tends to do funny things in some areas, crawling one moment, then racing away headlong the next. In other regions, time behaves normally, but location and distance can never quite make up their mind. Some of these anomalies occur naturally, simply a unique trait woven into the fabric of Istari. Others are caused by magical accident or design, an elaborate safeguard or amusement devised by the races of old. Thankfully, these areas tend to be somewhat isolated or contained, but they’re certainly more than enough to discourage most inexperienced humans from meddling around.

Want to know more about this unique world? Visit the Seeking an Audience forum!

PM 
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic Start Poll

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.