Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic 

Fawn, Last of the Atakai
Fawn
 Posted: Apr 3rd 2015, 08:34 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
24 Posts
Bisexual
Available

User Group
Mortals
Sexuality
Bisexual, but rarely interested
Occupation
Jack-of-all-trades
Aliases
Several aliases and false identities
Face Claim
Celina Jade
Fawn
There's nowhere to go, your head on the line
There is no rope, you're running out of time
So where will you go when I will murder your soul?
Physical Description
Fawn stands about average height for a woman of her people, around 5'5" tall. She's relatively slight, though years of running around the mountain forests of her home in her youth and even more years of intense training by her benefactors left her with a toned, leanly muscled build. Her dark hair hangs to about mid-back, and is generally left loose, though rarely she'll do it up in whatever style is currently in fashion, if she's trying to blend in. Her eyes are as dark as her hair, and seem too old for her youthful face.

Fawn's preferred style of dress is anything durable, functional, and easy to move about in. In the fashion of her people, browns and dark greens to blend into the forest are her favorites, with something equally suitable in the winter. Though she hates every minute of it, Fawn does sometimes find herself wearing something more suited to the "fairer" sex: traveling dresses, ball gowns, and the like are a necessary evil in her line of work. Her rare forays to Earth see Fawn wearing whatever she can get her hands on, the simpler the better.

» Good food, both preparing it and eating it

» Fine arts (music, painting, etc.)

» Hunting (the traditional kind)

» Helping those who can't help themselves

Dislikes
» Being the last of her people

» Not having received her Woman's Name before the destruction of her tribe

» Those who take advantage of the weak and less fortunate

» In some ways herself, or at least the person she's been shaped into

» Gowns, dresses, and other formal wear, though she has to endure them at times

Strengths
» Is an expert hunter, tracker, and wilderness survivalist

» Was trained by her former benefactors to speak several Istarin languages

» Can cook (well), play a handful of instruments (passably), and paint (poorly, according to her teacher)

» Has been taught to mimic behaviors exhibited by nobles and well-off commoners, to better blend in

» Is very quick, lithe, and agile

Weaknesses
» Isn't particularly strong or physically powerful/imposing

» Longs for the days of her youth and hates the person she's been forced to become

» Has no patience for those who prey on the weak, and will take action regardless of the consequences

» Has very little knowledge of Earth, and only goes there when absolutely necessary

» Has a very high price on her head and often has to dodge or dispatch would-be assassins

Goals
» Avenge her people, first and foremost

» Protect those who can't protect themselves

» Perhaps return to the mountains of her tribe one day and work to restore their culture

Fears
» Dying before she can avenge her people

» Losing herself in one of her many false identities and personas

» Earth, though she'd never admit it

Personality
Once Fawn was a simple, carefree young woman of the Atakai tribe, but those days are long gone. Instead, Fawn often wonders if she truly has a personality of her own at all any more. Taken from tragedy and forged into little more than a tool, everything she thinks and feels seems to her to be artificial. During what should have been her formative years she was taught to play a part--many, many parts, actually--and as such she never had the opportunity to learn and experience things on her own.

For the most part, Fawn sees people as pieces on a chess board at best, or simple tools at worst. Her training taught her to use whatever she could to get whatever she could from the people around her. Trained from an early age that seduction was as much a weapon as a bow or sword, Fawn isn't above using her body to get what she wants from someone, particularly information. Fawn is always on the lookout for any word of the mercenary band that slaughtered her people, and any news about them immediately takes precedence over whatever else she's currently working on.

Now that she's broken away from her former benefactors, Fawn is starting to slowly realize that there is more to life and the world than she'd come to believe. Small portions of her personality--her real personality--that she managed to retain throughout her near-brainwashing are starting to come to the fore, and she's rediscovering her loves of the simpler things: nature, the thrill of an honest hunt, cold mountain mornings, and the likes. In a lot of ways, Fawn is having to relive those years that were taken from her in an attempt to form a true personality, one that she can fully call her own.

History
Fawn was born twenty-six years ago high in the mountains to the reclusive Atakai tribe. Her mother was called Sunlight on the Meadow, and her father was the tribe's chief hunter, Eyes of the Eagle. As with all children in the tribe, Fawn was named after an innocent piece of nature, and wouldn't gain her true Woman's Name until her thirteenth year, when she secluded herself in the high peaks and went on her Naming Quest.

The Atakai were a tribe cut completely off from the outside world, and their way of life endured for thousands of years before tragedy befell them. Primarily they hunted, fished the high mountain streams, and grew crops in secret valleys that managed to stay warm and fertile despite the harshness of the mountains around them. They had no idea that the very mountains they called home held a dark secret, one that would bring destruction down upon them: prospectors from the nearby kingdom of Avalice discovered a wealth of gold and other precious metals in the mountains, and the King decided to claim Atakai lands in the name of Avalice.

Knowing that the tribe would prove stubborn in relocating, the King decided on another course of action, one that would wipe the Atakai out entirely, opening up the way for more prospectors and miners to reap the mountain's harvest. A mercenary company called Reven's Reavers--known for their brutal efficiency--were hired to go in and destroy the Atakai people with no warning. Fishermen, hunters, and their wives and children didn't stand a chance against the Reavers, though they gave as good an accounting of themselves as they could.

Fawn was only eleven years old when the Reavers destroyed her people, sparing no one. A crossbow bolt took her in the shoulder, causing a spray of blood and causing her to lose consciousness almost immediately. That injury actually saved her life, as the Reavers assumed the slight girl was certainly dead after such a grisly wound. After hunting down and slaughtering the rest of the Atakai, the Reaver's gathered their own wounded and dead and returned to Avalice to receive their pay. For what seemed an eternity, Fawn drifted in and out of awareness, the soothing voices of her mother and father coaxing her to stay strong, to stay alive, and to avenge her people. Whether some sort of fever hallucination or the true spiritual voices of her parents Fawn still doesn't know, but their pleas managed to keep Fawn alive long enough for a man to find her.

Galen had been tracking the Reavers since they'd left Avalice, curious as to what could send the mercenary band up into the high mountains. As one man he'd been unable to do anything to prevent the slaughter of the Atakai, but as soon as the Reavers made their way back down the mountain, Galen entered the village and began looking for survivors. True to their reputation, the mercenaries had been very efficient, and only Fawn survived. Galen tended the girl's wound as best he could, at least making it safe to move her, then quickly whisked her away, setting her life on a path that promised both vengeance and suffering, but perhaps in equal measure.

Galen belonged to a secretive order that went by many names, but was primarily known as "the Circle." They were a group of men and women who acted as spies, agents, and at times even assassins, selling their services to kings and countries, and even occasionally pursuing agendas of their own. The Circle nursed Fawn back to health, heard her story, and offered to provide her with the tools she'd need to track down Reven and his band of mercenaries in exchange for an undisclosed amount of time in service to them. With few other options, and with the need to avenge her people burning in her chest, Fawn agreed.

The last of the Atakai spent the next several years undergoing training that ranged from the immensely boring to the punishing and grueling. At first she was taught languages, arts, weapons, and how to walk, think, and act like anything from the lowliest peasant to the wealthiest noblewoman. She was also told about Earth, and taught some of its cultures and history, for the Circle's influences could be felt on both sides of the veil, and even taken there once or twice, and shown the locations of major portals between the worlds. As Fawn grew older, her lessons evolved, and she was given over to the care of a very skilled courtesan, who taught her that warm flesh and soft caresses were often as effective at ferreting out information as torture and interrogation. Both men and women would find it difficult to hide anything from Fawn after her training, as the Circle had spent a great deal of money to make sure their pet project would be as skilled an agent as possible.

When she was eighteen, Fawn was inducted as a full-fledged member of the Circle, and she began undertaking missions for them. All the while though, she still wanted nothing more than to seek out Reven and his men, and to destroy them for what they'd done to her people. Any time she attempted to strike out on a quest of her own, though, the Circle would reel her in, claiming a more important matter needed her attention. She spent years playing so many different roles and going by so many aliases that she almost forgot who she really was at times, but she never lost site of her ultimate goal. Finally Fawn had had enough, and she went to Galen and the other high-ranking members of the Circle, claiming that they were purposefully keeping her away from the Reavers.

Slowly and patiently, they explained to her that it wouldn't be financially profitable for her to destroy the Reavers. The Circle had often hired the mercenary company for jobs in the past, and they fully intended to continue using them in the future. Yes, it was horrific what had been done to the Atakai, but Reven and his men were both cheap and very good at what they did, and they would remain on sort of retainer for the Circle as long as they continued to provide such service. Furious, Fawn accused them of lying to her and betraying her, but they countered, saying that once her period of servitude was fulfilled, she would be allowed to part ways with the Circle and use what they'd taught her in whatever way she wanted. Finally, after serving them for more than a decade, Fawn learned exactly how long her "period of servitude" would last: the young woman was bound to serve the Circle until she reached seventy-five years of age. By then Reven and his men would all be long gone, and Fawn knew she'd be unable to get the revenge she so desperately craved. Bottling up her rage, Fawn left the leaders of the Circle and set about a plan of her own.

Gathering what few possessions she'd accrued over the years, as well as her weapons and equipment, Fawn slipped away on her next mission for the Circle with no plans on returning. She would hunt down Reven and his Reavers, and deal with the consequences of leaving the Circle as they came. And come they did, in the forms of various assassins and agents over the next few years. Fawn had been something special to the Circle, a tool they'd been able to shape exclusively to their own needs for most of her life, and as such she was privy to information that could almost certainly be used against them: names of key agents, locations of safe houses, and the like. They would see her dead before she could sell that information or make use of it herself.

It has been five years since Fawn struck out on her own, and in that time she's managed to track down and kill more than half of the men who served with Reven during the year her tribe was obliterated. The mercenary leader himself has so far evaded her, as well as a handful of his closest officers, but Fawn is relentless in her search for him, and she knows its only a matter of time before her people are avenged. The Circle also continues to send people after Fawn, but the skills she learned from them have come in handy in keeping her alive...

At least so far.

Powers and Limitations
None.

RP Sample
See Lily.

Player Info
Arius!
Coded by Kalista for Istari

This post has been edited by Kalista: Sep 18th 2017, 11:17 PM
PM 
^
Fawn
 Posted: Apr 13th 2015, 08:54 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
24 Posts
Bisexual
Available

Done!
PM 
^
Kalista
 Posted: Apr 13th 2015, 09:38 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1009 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

user posted image
PM 
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic 

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.