Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic Start Poll

Frequently Asked Questions
Kalista
 Posted: Dec 30th 2012, 02:21 AM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1007 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

Frequently Asked Questions

What is this Istari place anyway?
Do people in Istari know about Earth?
Do people on Earth know about Istari?
Are there any species you’re not accepting?
Why can't I get my paragraphs to space in the application?
How do I break up lines in the lists of the application template?
How many characters can I make?
How often do I have to post?
Can I have a powerful character as my first character?
Can my second character be a powerful one?
Can I make a sci-fi or steam punk character?
Can I make a character that’s already established in lore?
Can I make a character from another fandom/series/genre?
Can I make a character who’s a relative of another player’s character?
Can my character have a magic weapon or item?
Does my human character have to live in the modern world?
My character’s been accepted – now what do I do?
How do I get one of those spiffy custom titles under my avatar?
Can I post an advertisement if it’s not for Proboards, IF, or JCINK?
What should I do if I have a question that isn't answered in the Rules or these FAQs?

What is this Istari place, anyway?
That is a very good question! In a nutshell, Istari is another world that exists alongside modern day Earth, sometimes overlapping in places. It’s a medieval realm that relies on magic rather than technology, and it’s connected to Earth by various Gateways. How do I find these Gateways, you ask? That is also a very good question! To find out more about Istari and how to travel between Istari and Earth, check out this forum.

Do people in Istari know about Earth?
For the most part, yes. Istari is mostly made up of supernatural and fantastical races who have long known of the modern world. Some may even choose to travel between the two worlds, or even make their home on Earth, if that’s what they prefer.

Do people on Earth know about Istari?
Generally not. Most humans have heard about the faerie realm or some elemental plane of existence, but most don’t truly believe they exist. But whether people believe it or not, these are all names given to Istari when references to this magical realm are made in lore or in stories of old. Some people have seen through the veil to the other side, or may even have passed through it for a short time, not realizing where they were. Others know a great deal about its existence and may even travel regularly between Istari and Earth, though on the whole, modern day humans are unaware it exists, or misname it even if they do believe.

Are there any species you’re not accepting?
We do not allow Twilight-style vampires within this realm. Seriously, there are like a million forums for them already – they don’t need any more screen time. Other than that, we currently have no bans or restrictions on any races, though we do ask that you make sure to give your character enough weaknesses to help balance out their powers or strengths. We are also only allowing deities or extremely powerful characters on a trial period at first to make sure that the player doesn’t godmod and will use their powers responsibly.

Why can’t I get my paragraphs to space in the application?
That is because the application is in the form of a doHTML template. Many thread templates are like this as well. To start a new paragraph in a doHTML template, simply put a <*p> at the beginning of the new paragraph. You can also use <*br> in place of a hard return in order to insert a single line break. You can also use <*br> tags one right after the other if you wish to achieve multiple line breaks.
Note: Be sure to remove the * when using this tag.

How do I break up lines in the lists of the application template?
This one’s a little trickier. Each item in your lists starts with an <*option> tag and ends with an <*/option> tag. If you have a really long entry for one of your lists, we’d appreciate it if you’d break it up into two lines or more so we can read all of it without it stretching off the screen. To do this, just split the sentence in half, and put <*option><*/option> tags around each half.

How many characters can I make?
You’re welcome to make as many as you can keep up with. We do ask that you make at least one post in an in-character thread before starting your next character, though. Aside from that, we’ll have an activity check roughly every month, once we’ve built up an adequate member base, so we’ll expect you to be able to make at least one in-character post a month with each character. We’re not as strict about this around the holidays, though, so once November rolls around, we generally won’t have another activity check until after the beginning of January.

How often do I have to post?
As stated above, there will be an activity check roughly once a month, except during the Christmas holidays. We usually won’t post an activity check between November and the beginning of January, so don’t stress if you don’t have time to post during that period. The activity check will run for a few days, and if you haven’t made an in-character post for your character within the last month by the time the activity check ends, their face claim may be forfeit. If you’re going to be away from the site for awhile, please be sure to put up an away notice so you’ll be safe if we post an activity check while you’re gone. Make sure to post your away notice before the activity check is announced, though – it’s a failsafe, not a way to avoid posting with your characters!

Can I have a powerful character as my first character?
The simple answer is going to be “no.” We like to get a feel for a player and make sure they’re not prone to metagaming or godmodding before we hand over the power to level cities with a wave of their hand. Or claw, if you lean more in that direction. The bottom line is that we want everyone to have fun here, and that’s not going to happen if some big baddie is smacking you around without your permission at every turn or revealing secrets about your character that you’d prefer remained… well, secret. So, humor us and make something that can’t alter the very fabric of time and space your first time around, and after that, we’ll talk.

Can my second character be a powerful one?
Possibly. If we feel you’ve been responsible with your first character, we can start talking about something with a little more oomph your second time through. That said, it’s always a good idea to PM an admin and run your idea for an uber-powerful character by them first, just in case. Also, even once your deity or powerful character is approved, it’s only going to be on a trial basis at first, until we can see how they’re played and that they’re handled responsibly. Once that’s out of the way, they’ll be good to go, although if someone is caught abusing the privilege (i.e. godmodding or metagaming) we reserve the right to revoke our stamp of approval.

Can I make a sci-fi or steam punk character?
Nope, sorry. We’re only accepting medieval to modern day regular or fantasy characters at this time, and that’s not likely to change any time soon. We’re not a futuristic site, and the use of magic in place of technology within Istari means that there wouldn’t really be a subculture of steam powered gadgets or characters. Unfortunately, there just isn’t a need for them.

Can I make a character that’s already established in lore?
That depends. It’s going to depend on the lore, the setting, and the character. If we think the character is something that could plausibly fit in and work in Istari, then by all means, have at it! As with deities and powerful characters, it’s probably best to discuss it with an admin ahead of time so we can work out any preliminary kinks.

Can I make a character from another fandom/series/genre?
As to making an individual character from another fandom, we’re going to say probably not. However, your character’s racial weaknesses and abilities may be influenced slightly by another artist’s take on things. That said, we’d prefer that these types of characters rely more heavily on actual lore than on the rules of another fandom.

Can I make a character who’s a relative of another player’s character?
That would be up to the player whose character you’re interested in having a relationship with. If they’re interested in someone picking up a friend or relative of their character, most times they’ll post an ad in the Adoptables forum. In that post, they’ll let other players know what they’re looking for and how to contact them about picking up their adoptable. If they don’t have a request up, but you have an idea for a friend or relative of their character, feel free to ask politely. If it’s not something they’re interested in, they’ll let you know. Be prepared for this possibility, and don’t argue or complain if the other player isn’t interested in pursuing a relationship. Character concepts belong to the player who originally created them, and they’ll have the final say in what goes, just as you’ll have the last say with the characters you create.

Can my character have a magic weapon or item?
What fun would it be if they couldn’t?! Magic weapons, armor, or other enchanted items are found throughout Istari and Earth. If you’re interested in obtaining a magic item for your character, post a request for it in the Artifact Archive. This is more a measure to keep track of the more mundane magical items, but powerful magic items will need to be approved before they’re used in any in-character threads. Remember, if it’s something rare and/or powerful, you should have a good story about how it came into your character’s possession. This story can be part of their history, or it can be RPed out in-thread, if you’d rather.

Does my human character have to live in the modern world?
Of course not! While humans are definitely in the minority in Istari, there are still several settlements and villages there. If you want to have your human come from a medieval fantasy setting instead of the modern world, feel free have them grow up in one of these areas instead.

My character’s been accepted – now what do I do?
Another good question! The approved stamp might be on your character, but you’re not quite finished
yet. After you see the admin’s stamp of approval, we ask that you post in the Face Claims and Who Plays Who listings so we can keep track of everything. After you’ve posted there, an admin will add you into the listings, move your character's app to the directory, activate their posting permissions, and color-code them for the cbox. Once that’s done, it’s time to play!

How do I get one of those spiffy custom titles under my avatar?
After you’ve made an in-character post once your character has been approved, you’ll be allowed to give your character their own custom title. If you’d like to add a custom title to your character once you’ve made an in-character post with them, just go to your “My Controls” panel and scroll down until you see the custom title field. Please note that this title shouldn’t contain any lewd or inappropriate content or it will be subject to removal, and your privileges may be revoked.

Can I post an advertisement if it’s not for Proboards, Invisionfree, or JCINK?
Absolutely! All you have to do is post your ad in the section that matches your style of alignment tag. For example, if the alignment tag on your ad is <*align=center> you would post it in the JCINK or Invisionfree forum. If the alignment tag for your ad is <*center> then you would post it in the Proboards forum.

What should I do if I have a question that isn't answered in the Rules or these FAQs?
There is a handy Questions and Comments section where you can ask any questions that aren’t answered here. It’s guest friendly, so there’s no need to create an account in order to post there. If you already have an account made, feel free to PM an admin with your question instead. Guests are also welcome to post any questions they have in the cbox located to the left of the forum. Just make sure to post your question in ((double parenthesis)) to differentiate from in-character play.

PM 
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic Start Poll

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.