Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic 

Orion, Agent of Death
Orion
 Posted: Nov 30th 2014, 02:59 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
28 Posts
Straight
Available

User Group
Uniques
Ninety-two (appears to be in his forties)
Sexuality
Straight
Occupation
Agent of Death
Aliases
Henry Granger (his real name)
Face Claim
Idris Elba
Orion
In one fleeting moment, from the land doth life flow
Yet in one fleeting moment, for anew it doth grow
In the same fleeting moment thou must live, die, and know
Physical Description
Orion is a literal mountain of a man, towering over most of the people he meets. Standing at nearly six inches over six feet and weighing in at around three hundred pounds of solid muscle, he tends to leave quite the impression on those who see him. A pair of dark, nearly black eyes stare out of a face lined with stress and the worries of decades, and those worries also reveal themselves in the slight sprinkling of silver throughout his dark, short-cropped hair and beard. While these things might make someone think that Orion has slowed or mellowed with age, they'd be in for a rude awakening if they put those thoughts into action; he's still extremely fit for his age, and faster than a man his size has any right being.

When it comes to clothing, Orion always goes with something functional over something fashionable. He is, first and foremost, a warrior, and that's reflected in the serviceable, simple things he wears on Earth as well as the light chain or leather armor he prefers in Istari. Of course there are rare occasions that call for him to look like more than a common soldier, and during those times he manages to cut quite the figure in both Earth and Istari finery. In the end, though, he's always more comfortable and more at home in his standard, unremarkable garments.

» Knowing that his deceased loved ones are where they're supposed to be

» Having the opportunity to travel and see things he never imagined possible

» Helping people when he can

» Watching everything change and evolve through the years

Dislikes
» Watching friends grow old and die before him

» Creatures who have willingly defied Death in order to return to life

» Practitioners of necromancy

» "Modern" cinema and music

» Suicide

Strengths
» The powers and abilities granted him by Death

» Has a wealth of knowledge on many different subjects

» Is a skilled warrior both armed and unarmed

» People seem drawn to his openness and confidence

» Can be trusted to always do what's right in any circumstance

Weaknesses
» The presence of necromancy and death magic can weaken and drain him greatly

» A powerful enough necromancer has the ability to either bind and control him, or sever his link to Death

» Though he heals faster than most, he can still be killed by conventional means

» Is driven by his job to the point that most other things fall by the wayside

» Is unable to go against Death's orders under any circumstances

Goals
» Destroy as many creatures who have defied Death as possible

» Perform to the best of his ability in order to claim his reward in the end

» Live a long, eventful, and productive life in service to Death

Fears
» Failing Death in his role as her agent

» Being bound by a necromancer

» Dying, ironically. Prolonging his life is one of the reasons he took on this position

Personality
If only one word could be used to describe Orion's personality, it would undoubtedly be noble. He actively goes out of his way to help those in need--so long as it doesn't conflict with a mission tasked to him by Death--and has an immense respect for life and a creature's right to live it. Of course, anything that's been resurrected or cheated death in any unnatural way is fair game for him, as they've already had their shot at life and their time had already come, but for the most part, Orion refuses to kill anything or anyone else unless they're actively slaughtering those who's time has yet to come. So far as he's concerned--and Death has yet to correct this behavior--anyone who kills others for pleasure or for their own personal gain is a prime and suitable target.

While Orion is almost always in a "work" mindset, he knows that it can be unhealthy to obsess without taking time out for himself. To that end, he tries to live as normal a life as possible while still acting as Death's agent on the physical plane. He keeps homes on Earth and in Istari, and he engages in "normal" hobbies both to keep himself busy and to keep himself fit. Jogging, boxing, swordplay, and wrestling are his favorites, but he also enjoys reading on occasion and traveling for pleasure rather than for work.

Friends are a luxury that Orion tends to forego, for obvious reasons. His decelerated aging makes having any sort of meaningful friendship or relationship difficult with other humans, and though he does have a small handful of long-lived acquaintances throughout Istari, he never feels exactly at home among them. Still, when he's feeling a bit lonely or nostalgic, he'll make a special trip to go and visit them, knowing that among them at least he won't have to worry about making excuses for his longevity, and that he won't have to hide his true calling. After all, it can be nice to have people to vent to that don't think he's completely insane.

History
Henry Granger was born in the early 1920s in New York city. His father was a factory worker who barely got paid enough to support himself let alone a wife and child, and his mother mostly stayed at home, though she worked sometimes as a seamstress or laundress to bring in a little extra money. Obviously this meant that Henry had a pretty rough childhood, and he never received any sort of real education, beyond what his mother taught him while they were at home. Of course, her education and knowledge were limited as well, but they were better than nothing, and at least Henry didn't grow up completely ignorant of the workings of the world around him.

When he was ten years old, his father suffered a heart attack and died, nearly leaving his wife and young son destitute. Luckily child labor laws tended to be more than a little lax in those days, and Henry was able to take his father's place at the factory, though he was paid substantially less money. With one less mouth to feed, though, they managed to get by, if barely, and things were looking up for a little while. The boy's education was increasing as he met and conversed with new people, and he even managed to get a couple hand-me-down books that he taught himself to read. This opened a whole new world up for Henry, and any time he had a chance to get his hands on a book he did so, his young mind absorbing the knowledge like a sponge.

Henry was sixteen when his mother passed away in her sleep, most likely because of a lack of proper nutrition. By then, though, Henry was more than able to care for himself, and he continued living in the family's small, two room apartment and working at the factory. His life became a grueling routine for the next decade and more: work, sleep, work, sleep, with no real time for himself. The only advantage to this cycle was that he was able to save up more and more money over the years, and eventually he managed to get himself a small home and even a car. After years and years of hardship, life was finally starting to ease up for Henry.

Eventually he met a woman named Martha, and they married. While Henry still slaved away at the factory day after day, at least now he had a good home to return to each night, and a wife who loved him. He was making more money than he ever had before, and the time felt right to try for a baby. Their efforts eventually paid off, and in April of 1950 their son Henry Jr. was born. For the first time in his life, Henry felt like he had everything he could ever wish for, and life was good.

Little did he know that everything was going to fall apart in just a few short years...

The Asian Flu epidemic of 1957 came out of nowhere, and while the death toll in the United States was relatively small--only around 70,000--it did end up claiming both Martha and little Henry Jr. Life became a sort of haze for Henry, and only years of routine kept him going. He'd lost everything, and had no more desire to live, but at the same time he couldn't bring himself to just end it. He knew Martha would never have forgiven him for just throwing away the gift of life, so he forced himself to press on.

One evening in early 1958--nearly a year after losing his family--Henry was taking a walk to clear his head after a long day at the factory when a scream and the sound of screeching tires snapped him out of his brooding. Time seemed to slow down for him as he glanced over and saw the truck bearing down on the little girl in the middle of the road, barely a dozen feet away from him. Henry acted without thinking, rushing forward and shoving the girl out of the way just in time. When the truck struck him, there was only a brief instant of pain, followed by complete and utter darkness.

Then, Henry heard a voice. It was full of warmth, and the sound of it eased his pain and lulled him into a relaxed state of mind. There was no apparent gender to the voice, as far as Henry could tell, and instinctively he knew that what he was hearing was not the voice of any living creature. It was... something else. A laugh echoed through the darkness around him, and the voice confirmed that it could hear his thoughts as easily as his voice when it commented that it wasn't actually a single being or creature at all, but rather it was something of a force of nature. The voice that Henry was hearing was the voice of Death itself.

Death told him that there was still work for him to do, if he chose to do it. He had lived a life of loss and hardship, and even when everything had been taken away from him, when the temptation had been there to end his own life in grief, he'd fought that temptation and instead given his life to save another. It was a noble deed, and one that had granted him a choice: he could either pass on, or he could postpone his own death long enough to serve a greater good, to have a purpose. In the end, he'd still be reunited with his family, but in the interim he could make a real and true difference in the world.

There was an appeal to having a purpose for his life that struck a chord with Henry, and he knew exactly what Martha would say if he asked her opinion in this matter. So, after only a few moments of consideration, Henry agreed to become Death's agent on the physical plane of existence. He was given the title of "Orion", for he was to be the hunter of those who'd defied Death's plan; he was given the special blade Sirius, who's blade could inflict mortal wounds from which a creature could never return from the dead. Death granted him the knowledge to fight, and to hunt, and to protect himself and others from those who did not respect the sanctity of the gift of life. The existence of Earth's sister world, Istari, was also revealed to Orion, expanding the field in which he'd have to operate.

When Orion opened his eyes, he was in a hospital, having been taken there after the accident with the truck. Only a few days had passed, despite his time with Death having felt more like months or years. Miraculously he'd survived, leaving the doctors completely clueless as to how, and moreso, his wounds had healed in half the time it should have taken them. With no real reason to keep him, the hospital released him, and Orion left as a new man, one with a true purpose.

It's been nearly sixty years since then, and Orion has managed to survive against countless foes and creatures intent on defying Death and upsetting the balance of the universe. His journeys have taken him all across Earth and Istari, increasing his skills and knowledge as he continues on in the task assigned to him. Often left to his own devices, Death sometimes does entrust him with a specific goal or target, and when that happens, there's nothing that can keep him from completing his mission...

Powers and Limitations
» Extended Lifespan: Orion ages extremely slowly, something like one year for every ten.

» Enhanced Healing: One of the perks of being Death's Agent is that Orion's wounds heal much faster than a standard human being.

» Supernatural Perception: Orion can see a special sigil on the forehead of those who've died and returned. He is also sensitive to the presence of necromancy, and to the resurrected.

RP Sample
See Lily.

Player Info
Arius. I have all the characters.
Coded by Kalista for Istari
PM 
^
Kalista
 Posted: Nov 30th 2014, 09:54 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1009 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

This application has been unlocked for updates.
PM 
^
Orion
 Posted: Mar 8th 2015, 11:03 AM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
28 Posts
Straight
Available

No edits to make on Orion!
PM 
^
Kalista
 Posted: Mar 8th 2015, 12:43 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1009 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

user posted image
PM 
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic 

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.