Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic 

Kaylynn Maverick, Cursed Revenant
Kaylynn Maverick
 Posted: Mar 4th 2018, 01:27 AM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kay
1 Posts
N/A
N/A
N/A

User Group
Undead
Sexuality
Heterosexual
Occupation
Nurse | Hunter Resource
Aliases
Kay, Angel of Mercy/Death, Maiden of Death, many different aliases over the years
Face Claim
Demi Lovato
Kaylynn Winry Maverick
Whether I’m the last one alive
Or ascend before my time
Better I’m the last one alive
Than a soul denied
Physical Description
Back in the day, when Kaylynn was human, she was considered relatively tall compared to other women; but now that’s not the case. She stands at the height of five foot five inches with naturally tanned skin and dark brown hair, most of which she received from her mother’s side of the family. She wore clothing that in the time, were considered revealing and rash to be wearing, and she almost always wore her hair down without her bonnet.

Now, in the year 2018 her physical features are still the same, except with less color. Her eyes seemed a bit duller, almost too old to be in a young body. Her skin tone paled significantly and sometimes, Kaylynn finds herself needing to put on a pinkish lipstick to bring life back into her pale lips to appear normal. Her hair was still dark, but lacked luster and some volume. Her clothing style has changed considerable. She keeps in touch with fashion to make sure that she never seems out of place, however, she does wear clothes that are a little more conservative such as long maxi skirts, dresses with cover ups, and her hands are always supporting a nice pair of gloves to match her outfits.

» Cool nights

» Spring

» Graveyards

» Cooking

» Horseback riding

» Friends & family

» Cats & dogs

» Flowers

» Travelling

Dislikes
» Fire

» Water

» Monsters – humans included

» Summer/heat

» Cutting onions

» Being cursed

» Being “killed” – it’s generally annoying

» Outliving her family/friends

» Winter/Snow/Being cold in general

Strengths
» Undead powers

» Wealth

» Knowledge of witches/magic etc

» Intelligence

» Friends & family

» Hardworking

» Knows when to quit

» Mixed Martial artist

Weaknesses
» Trust issues

» Undead power weaknesses

» Any mention of her past

» Any current friends & family

» Children

» Animals

» Out of time – uses phrases from 1700’s on occasion, giving the feel of being misplaced

Goals
» Finding a way to make herself human or reversing her curse

» Help hunters understand her situation

» Help as many people as she can

» Try to live a “normal” life

Fears
» Hurting someone innocent or cares for

» Falling in love

» Being hunted

» Fire

» Making the wrong decision

» Out living people she cares for

» Living forever

Personality
Kaylynn is a calm, wise, and gentle old soul that has many life experiences that makes her a great advice giver. She is also quiet and thoughtful who often has what she has called “quiet spells.” This is when Kaylynn sits back and watches life around her. Because she’s always quiet she has developed into a shy and timid person who often whispers or mumbles her sentences and doesn’t look anyone in the eye.

Loyal habits make Kaylynn a great companion for travelling and friendships. And for those that are lucky enough to break through the hard shell and walls that she put up around her non-living heart learn that Kaylynn is a caring, loving, and protective individual that will go out of her way to make sure that the people that she loves are taken care of. It’s because of this that Kaylynn exhibits motherly behavior (such as cleaning, cooking, caring for others etc.)

The resurrected Kaylynn compared to the living Kaylynn are two completely different people. When Kaylynn was human, she was a lively individual who was always the first person to go out looking for fun. Her bubbly personality attracted all kinds of people so she was constantly surrounded by friends. To balance her bubbly self when she had been alive, she was protective (sometimes possessive) of those that she loved dearly – a trait that she still has but as nearly as possessive – to the point that Kaylynn would go at any length to make sure that her friends were protected. Sometimes her protective nature came off the wrong way towards a lot of people, often making her out to be a bitch and someone who had an attitude problem. Even though her protective manner has carried over to her personality after being resurrected, the bitchiness and the seeming attitude problem did not.

Kaylynn had many dreams and ambitions before her death and resurrection. She was a girl of a wild heart and some crazy dreams, but determined to see some of them through. Her determination reflects in her personality today as she is determined to find a witch/warlock in hopes of getting her curse reversed or become human again. She’s somewhat of a hopeful individual now because of her situation. She has hopes that whenever she runs into a hunter, they would understand the situation that she had been thrown into and allow her to continue on with her journey.

Instead of passion in adventure, her passion now is in the belief that what’s dead should stay dead. So don’t ever start talking about how you plan on bringing someone back to life by any means. Kaylynn would be the very first one to tell you from experience that it not only does not end well, but it leaves the other person with a heavy burden on their shoulders. From being dead for seven years, Kaylynn has a strange attachment to graveyards, crypts, and anything else that houses the bodies of the dead.

Kaylynn is a calm, quiet, timid, motherly, and thoughtful woman whose passion is leaving dead things dead, her determination is on the right track to put herself back into her grave and hopeful about changing some hunter’s understanding about her situation, loyal, caring, and protective.

History
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; March 11th, 1772 the third and youngest child had been born into the Maverick family. The proud parents, Helena and Mark Maverick, named their daughter Kaylynn Winry after her late grandmother on her mother’s side. Before Kaylynn there had been two boys, Mark Junior the oldest, and Zachariah, the middle child.

When Kaylynn was three years old, Mark Jr. had stepped up to the role of head of the household as their father enlisted into the American Revolution. He started to learn the trade of his father – blacksmith – in order to make a living to provide for the family. Zachariah had to then step up and take on the task of providing for the family as Mark Jr had left in order to help fight in the war soon after. The three last members of the Maverick family were then forced to flee their home city in 1777 as General Howe threatened to take over Philadelphia after conquering New York in 1776. The family went to their aunt’s house on their mother’s side in the country, one of the rare places that had been untouched by battle.

The family lived out the rest of the war there, and Kaylynn grew up around violence, blood, and gore as her mother and aunt started to run a small clinic out of the large home. Being as there was barely any supervision for the young Kaylynn; she often explored the grounds and spied on the injured American soldiers out of curiosity. By the time the war had ended, Kaylynn was a wild and crazy girl who would rather roll around in the mud and be one of the boys than wear a dress.

By the time that she was eleven years old, it was the end of the revolution and America had finally been declared its own country. The men were allowed to return home; except the men that had returned to the Mavericks were not the men that had left. Kaylynn’s father, plagued with the terrifying and gruesome visions and nightmares of the war, became a heavy drinker and started to abuse the family. Her older brother could not handle the images that haunted him in the night, so he had taken his own life, leaving his young sister to be the one to find him when she was twelve years old. As she grew up, Kaylynn had to take care of herself as her mother had been much too busy to ensure that her abusive husband was pleased and her brother had been off to bring money home.

By the time that she was thirteen years old, her father had died of alcohol poisoning, and it all seemed that everything for the Maverick family was beginning to look brighter. After the death of her father, her mother’s spirit picked back up and she began to knit blankets to help bring in money and her brother was no longer trying to avoid the family and home by working all the time.

Kaylynn had already been pulled from school to help care for the home and be taught to be the perfect wife and develop skills such as cleaning and cooking. Kaylynn however had already mastered some of the elements because of the fast growing up that she had to do throughout her life. But that didn’t stop her from being a wild and crazy child who often came home with stories of her adventures and show off her new scratches and bruises.

The next six years for Kaylynn had been peaceful. Although her mother spoke to her often about how a woman at her age should be married and have a family. By the time that she was twenty, Kaylynn had met a man named Patrick Quigley. He was a charming young fellow, not that much older than Kaylynn. They began to show an interest in each other, and Patrick started courting Kaylynn behind her family’s back as they did not approve. Kaylynn’s mother was dead-set on her marrying a rich man that can provide and give her everything that she ever wanted. However many suitors came Kaylynn’s way, she had always done what she wanted, and she wanted Patrick. Still relatively early in their courting, Patrick had proposed to Kaylynn, after being persistent with her brother for her hand in marriage. The wedding had been planned to be the following year in late August.

For the next year, everything in Kaylynn’s life had been going great. Her family finally supported her decision to be with Patrick, she was engaged, had great friends, and a wonderful and loving man that she believed was going to give her the world. So when she had suddenly came down with the case of Yellow Fever – an epidemic that broke out in the earlier weeks of August of 1793 – just before her wedding when she was twenty-one was not something that had been expected.

Patrick brought in the best doctor that his money could afford to bleed her out, but it was hopeless. Afraid that their time together was disappearing, Kaylynn and Patrick were married on September 1st, 1793 in just the company of themselves, the priest, and their immediate family members in Kaylynn’s bedroom. After being married, Patrick moved in with the Mavericks in fear of moving Kaylynn and spreading the disease. He stayed by her side faithfully to take care of her.

September 4th, 1793 Kaylynn had died of the disease that claimed 2,000 lives between August 1st and November 9th, 1793. Because of Kaylynn’s fighting spirit, she had managed to hold off death till she had been comforted by her husband that it was okay for her to give up if she had been tired. Soon after her death, Patrick had left the Maverick house and fled Philadelphia with most of the population of the city. Patrick fled into Massachusetts where he settled into Salem.

Overcome with grief of his dead wife, Patrick became obsessed with trying to figure out a way to have his wife returned to him. It overcame him enough where he sought out help of the supernatural kind, and became an apprentice to a witch in Salem, Massachusetts. He stayed under her wing a little less than ten years before he left and went back to Philadelphia with a resurrection spell torn from the pages of one of the several powerful spell books that his master had.

On the night of the full moon, on what would have been Kaylynn’s twenty-eighth birthday, Patrick collected the ingredients that he needed for the spell. Although the spell required graveyard dirt and a precious object to the decease, Patrick decided to go with digging up her body and performing the spell in the graveyard. Patrick figured that he would get the best results if he ditched the last two ingredients and just used the decomposed body of his dead wife. He then performed the spell and with a great and tremendous flash of lightning, the angered sky poured rain down on him, Patrick watched as the spell put his wife back together. Her flesh seemed to just appear as if out of thin air. When it seemed that Kaylynn’s body stopped regenerating, a second spell was performed in order to awaken her soul and return it to her body. But because of Patrick’s inexperience the animal that had been sacrificed for the soul summoning did not have enough life force to continue. So the spell started to drain from the next living creature, which had been Patrick. Even after feeling the effects of his life force draining, Patrick continued with the spell. With the two life forces combined, the spell was successful and Kaylynn awoke with a troubling gasp.

Realizing how terribly he screwed up and knowing that he now had little time left, Patrick quickly began to explain what he had done to a heavily confused and groggy Kaylynn. Patrick then told her to return to Salem to his master to receive help from her. Unaware of what was really happening, Kaylynn fled to Salem after Patrick’s death. Patrick’s master – Petra – agreed to help her as much as she could when Kaylynn arrived on her doorstep with her story. During the next month and a half, Petra performed experiments on Kaylynn, it was during these experiments that they discovered her strength, speed, and her ability to drain life forces through her hands. However Petra had been killed by a hunter and before Kaylynn could become a victim, she escaped and took refuge in the woods.

It was here that Kaylynn continued with the experiments that Petra and herself had conducted. While Petra helped Kaylynn discover a lot of answers, Kaylynn felt like she really got the chance to know herself out in the woods. Out there, Kaylynn didn’t have to worry about hurting Petra and she got the chance to push herself to her limits. She tested her strength against bears, she tested her agility against deer and cougars, and she conducted a test on what life forces had been good for her and which life forces weren’t. She had also discovered some new things about herself during her stay; she discovered (by falling off of a cliff) that when she died, she came back to life. After a few more experiments, she determined that depending on the way that she died depends on how long it takes her body to regenerate and revive her. Over the decades of her life in the woods, Kaylynn began to notice that she was not aging.

Kaylynn stayed in the woods and avoided human contact as much as she could, until the Civil War. April 12th through the 18th, the Battle of Fort Sumter in South Carolina, one of the first battles, had been the first battlefield that Kaylynn stumbled onto. There had been so many men that were left on the battlefields on the brink of death that Kaylynn had decided that she was going to put them out of their misery, only after asking and making sure that it was what they wanted. After a while, she was beginning to feel the effects of human life forces compared to animal life forces (the positive effects) and Kaylynn then started to volunteer to be a nurse (for whoever needed her). It didn’t take long till there was word of an Angel of Mercy or an Angel of Death walking among the lines of the battlefield, delivering people from their pain. There are a few pictures that have been published with Kaylynn in them throughout the entire Civil War.

When the war was finished, Kaylynn found herself travelling; only stopping and becoming employed when she needed to feed. She didn’t go around taking the life out of every human that she had met, she only went to the sick and the old, never taking from children or healthy adults and teenagers. The sick was suffering, and only after asking for their permission would she take their life force to end their misery. Though she never purposely went out looking for work as feeding from humans labeled one a monster in the world of the supernatural; so, if she had been passing through a town, and they needed nursing help, Kaylynn would then take the position. Other than that, she was feeding from animals.

October 8th, 1871, Kaylynn found herself in Chicago where her place of employment deployed her to the scene of the Great Chicago Fire where she was to treat the badly wounded on site. Somehow in the mix of the chaos, Kaylynn had found herself in the fire. Luckily she escaped, however she found that her burn wounds hurt, looked, and were worse than a human tenfold. Kaylynn quickly took the cover of the closet forest to try to feed in order to heal herself. Although to heal from the burns, it was taking much longer than suspected, and some hurt so bad that they left her a phantom pain. It was in that moment that Kaylynn realized that there were things that could kill her; fire and dismemberment.

At this point, Kaylynn found herself at a crossroads. Now that she knew that fire could kill her, she thought about it often, and she found herself lighting large campfires and thinking about throwing herself into the flames. But a little voice in the back of her head spoke up, and told her that the death was going to be painful and violent. She had already died violently, the plague that claimed her life was painful, and her body hurt constantly. Thinking about it made Kaylynn realize that she wanted to die a more peaceful death the second time around. That was the night that she made the decision that she would find a way to either become human or reverse her curse, whichever came first.

Kaylynn had also been a large part of other historical events. During the time of World War I, Kaylynn enlisted under the name of Kathryn Tate to become a nurse and was deployed overseas. Once again, at night when everyone was asleep, Kaylynn took a walk on the battlefields for those that have been left for dead. This time, she had received the name of the Maiden of Death. Kaylynn stayed in the war for as long as she needed and she was one of the last nurses to return home after the war was over. A few times, she ran into some hunters that looked into her case; some tried to kill her while others saw some justice in what she was doing and allowed her continue. She did the same thing in the next few wars to follow, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War and many more. Except this time, the Maiden of Death seemed to have followed her every time she had been deployed.

Eventually she stopped keeping track of how much time went by. She also stopped keeping track of time because of how often hunters came to her and “killed her.” Kaylynn found that there had been times when it took years for her body to heal itself because of the lack of energy at the time of death. Then there were times when it just took a few weeks. However, she found her life to be uneventful.

At some point, Kaylynn became very, very wealthy as she started to sell the objects that she collected over her time being alive and she invested in some big-name companies of today. With her money, Kaylynn was able to purchase a few homes in some of her favorite places so that she had somewhere to retire too if she needed. Even though she purchased a few homes, Kaylynn’s money seemed to be limitless to her as she rarely used her money. It just continued to build as she continued to auction off rare collectables and items.

As the years went on, Kaylynn discovered a new way that she could be helpful, and keep herself safe. With her unlimited funds, vast collection of books and knick-knacks she became a huge resource for hunters. Given everything in her possession, Kaylynn quite frequently provides hunters who seek her help a number of resources ranging from funds, hunts, somewhere to stay, or even supernatural lore. Because of this, got noticed by a man named Aiden, who had sent out one of his soldiers to seek her out to request her help. She was then given the offer to help him and his team to collect information about an alternate world called Istari. Kaylynn had been skeptical at first, but when she was given her proof of Istari’s existence she agreed to help, mostly for her own personal interest. A new world meant more knowledge and new things to discover, and in turn could potentially help her become human again.
Powers and Limitations
» Enhanced Senses

» Stronger and faster than the average human

» Sensing life forces: Kaylynn can only do this when she is hungry and is in need of feeding.

» Immortality: She’s ageless and immune to death in natural and human ways such as fatal wounds, sickness, and natural causes. She is not without weakness however. Dismemberment and fire are the two weaknesses that are sure to kill her.

» Comes back to life after being killed: This often depletes her energy, leaving her in a weak state sometimes even resorting to feeding right away and depending on how well she is fed and how she died depends on how quickly/long it takes for her to come back to life.

» Healing: Kaylynn’s healing ability is not as fast as a werewolf or skinwalker, but it is much faster than that of a human. What would take a human arm six weeks to heal if it were broken, but it would take Kaylynn three, assuming that she was full from life forces. If not, then her healing ability is nonexistent and can take longer than a human to heal. Healing while feeding is also an option and nine times out of produces an instant heal, although for this to work Kaylynn must be able to seek and hunt for food within a few hours of the inflected injury.

» Absorbing Life Forces: This is an ability that Kaylynn gained from being cursed; she is able to absorb life forces through her hands and mouth but she mainly uses her hands. She can also control the amount of life force that she takes from an animal or individual with a lot of concentration. Life forces are also a food source for her. When she’s kept full, her body acts like a human’s in the sense of if she’s cut, she bleeds. However there are also flaws with her ability. Depending on how hungry she is, Kaylynn still has a hard time controlling this ability and could end up severely hurting someone or worse. Human life forces are the strongest ones for her to eat, but she tries to stick to only feeding on animals which doesn’t have the same benefits as human life forces. Any life force that is tainted (ie, a demon or vampire) that she ingests has severe drawbacks, they can make her violently ill or have a reverse effect on her.

RP Sample
Admin Approved!

Player Info
It’s Kay again!...Make me stop.
Coded by KALISTA for OOTA
PM 
^
Arius
 Posted: Mar 8th 2018, 03:58 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
2204 Posts
N/A
N/A
N/A

Welcome to Istari! For full activation and site access, use the links above to add your new character to the Face Claims and Who Plays Who.

--------------------
user posted image
PM 
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic 

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.