Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic 

Febrien Seltain, Elven Storm Warden
Febrien Seltain
 Posted: Jan 12th 2016, 05:42 AM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
18 Posts
Straight
Single

User Group
Feyborn
Sexuality
Straight
Occupation
Tyr’istae, Storm Warden, Wood Wraith, Adventurer
Aliases
Ren to close friends
Face Claim
Marie Avgeroupolis
Febrien Seltain
Under the starry skies where eagles have flown
This place is paradise, it’s the place I call home
The moon on the mountains, the whisper through the trees
The waves on the water, let nothing come between this and me
Physical Description
Like most Elves, Febrien is tall and slender with a fluid grace no human could ever hope to possess. Her hair is long and silky, falling well past her shoulders in a rich, auburn tumble. It would be quite unmanageable on its own, so she keeps it pulled back with a hairpin bespelled to keep it under control in even the most harrowing circumstances. She has large, gem-bright eyes the color of light, clear sapphires, and ears that flow into a graceful point. Her skin is fair and smooth, never showing more than a light tan for all the days she spends outdoors. She also bears almost no visible scars from her life of adventure and warfare, another blessing of her Elven heritage.

Febrien is proficient in woodcraft, and learned to hunt and track from an early age. She knows how to move through the forest without leaving any significant mark, and how to blend in with her surroundings. To aid in this, she wears mainly earth tones, and her sure, flowing gait carries her as easily through the underbrush as it does along the branches of the trees.

In terms of clothing, she mainly wears breeches, soft leather boots suitable for both riding and stealth, and elegant tunics, most of them tailored so she can wear light armor overtop. She favors hardened leather armor reinforced with metal at strategic points, finding anything heavier to be too cumbersome. Her armor set usually consists of sturdy boots, bracers, greaves, and a chest plate. She despises helmets, claiming that they hamper her hearing and visibility, and absolutely refuses to wear them. She relies on stealth, speed, and her senses when in combat, and too much armor would limit the effectiveness of her fighting style.

This quick, fluid fighting style was developed long ago by the renowned Storm Wardens of the forest, and may appear quite alien to those who are not familiar with her order. It incorporates two blades, often of the same size and length, rather than a blade and a shield or dagger, and can be easily adapted to melee or mounted combat. It was designed for fighting in close quarters, and allows her to flow from one combatant to the next, attacking while still maintaining her guard. It took her many years to master and become proficient at it, and she’s never seen anything quite like it outside of her homeland. This often works in her favor when traveling, as many combatants aren’t quite sure how to counter it.

When Wardens channel a large amount of natural energy, the bleed-off will often manifest in impressive, but ultimately aesthetic weather phenomena. There are two that are most common for Febrien, the first being an unexpected wind that will suddenly kick up in the immediate area. It will usually die down immediately after she is finished, and is never strong enough to cause damage. The other is heat lightning, which may appear in the sky, or crawling over her hands or weapons. This, too, causes no damage, and is more akin to static discharge than true lightning. Some Wardens may also produce thunder or rain when they work, but Febrien has never shown an affinity for these manifestations.

» The rush of battle

» Those who are considerate of others

» Riding

» Climbing trees

» Spending time in nature

» A good story

» People who are honest and honorable

» Thunderstorms

» Traveling and exploring

Dislikes
» Being confined or cut off from nature

» Crowded cities

» Being lied to, manipulated, or double crossed

» People who conduct themselves with no morals or honor

» Cold weather, especially if it’s very dry

» Politics and social maneuvering

» The modern world. There isn’t enough healthy wilderness to make up for all the sick, stripped places

» Seeing people or creatures in pain

» Entitled highborn

Strengths
» Compassionate, inspires trust

» Is a natural at riding

» Knows many herbal remedies and basic healing techniques

» Is an expert at hunting, tracking, and moving unseen in natural environments

» Observant

» Strong-willed

» Accomplished swordswoman

» Has a respectable singing voice

Weaknesses
» Passionate and outspoken

» Knows absolutely nothing about modern technology

» Only has herself to rely on, since most of her friends and family are dead

» Wears sparse, light armor and must rely solely on her skill and speed to deflect attacks from heavier weapons

» Has little to no skill with any weapons besides simple swords and hunting bows

» Cold climates cause sharp chest pains, coughing, and shortness of breath

» Has no talent for disguise or subterfuge

» Impudent when angered, regardless of her antagonist’s rank or status

» Injuries made by cold iron heal slowly and risk infection

» Possesses no glamour to disguise her appearance

Goals
» Protect those she can along the way

» Learn all she can about the Darkyn and stop them at any cost

» Find some sign of her parents and brother

Fears
» Losing Kiera

» Having to spend any period of time on Earth

» The extinction of her race

Personality
Though Febrien has seen more than her share of suffering and death after nearly a century of adventuring and warfare, she has still managed to hold on to her spark and her love of life. She enjoys meeting people and life on the road, taking pleasure from her surroundings and from the simple pleasures in life. She loves the heady rush of a breakneck gallop, and there’s nothing like the thrill of combat to make her feel alive. That said, she takes no pleasure in killing, doing so only when necessary. She would much rather work things out without bloodshed, when possible, though she won’t hesitate to step in if violence is the only option.

She’s generally calm and level headed, and her connection to nature helps keep her grounded and balanced. It can be difficult to distance herself when the land around her is in upheaval, but she does what she can to set things right before moving on, if she’s able. Her race values competence and self sufficiency, and as such, she was raised to be earnest and hardworking. These traits have earned her trust and respect in her travels, and she hopes this may have gone a little way toward restoring the Wardens’ good name.

While her upbringing instilled many good traits, however, it wasn’t without its drawbacks as well. Her race has no upper and lower classes, and while those who served in kingdoms generally learned to function appropriately in such a society, Febrien has had the benefit of no such training. She is desperately out of her league when it comes to politics and intrigues, having no concept or patience of such petty social maneuvering.

Her rustic origins and guileless manner will sometimes bring those of noble upbringing to the incorrect assumption that she’s dense or simple, a stereotype which she finds infuriating. Most of the time she tries to use this to her advantage or disprove it by being as calm and logical as possible, but she can’t stand being insulted or talked down to. She cares little for the rank and status of people who behave badly, and her outspokenness has gotten her into trouble on more than one occasion.

She is intelligent and compassionate, though, and often this is enough to get her what she needs without worrying too much about the minutiae of social intricacies. She still often feels like an outsider, however, something she encountered with her own people as well, though to a lesser extent. Most of the people in her village treated her just the same as everyone else, but there were those who whispered that she and Kiera were a bad omen, and that ill luck would follow after them. When she was younger, she often felt frustrated, insecure, and helpless to refute their claims. Even though she’s become an accomplished warrior, now that she’s out on her own, she still feels like she needs to make a name for herself and prove them wrong.

History
No more than a century ago, the Tyr’istae and their battle unicorns were renowned as great protectors, the guardians of kings and empires. Their loyalty and ability to bond with the land and call its very life energy up in its own defense made them highly sought after, though there were few enough who traveled outside of Aleirion, their reclusive forest home. When at their peak, their abilities could often produce an energy bleed-off that manifested in weather effects that – while impressive – were ultimately harmless. This phenomenon garnered them the name “Storm Wardens” in the common tongue.

Those peoples who lived closer to their realm also called them “Wood Wraiths.” They were fiercely protective of their homeland – an ancient, sprawling forest – and both their mounts and their fighting style allowed them to strike quickly before disappearing back into its depths with barely a trace. These blitz tactics and their tendency to fight and move as silently as possible often proved as eerie as the spirits they were named for. Few invaders ever made it very far past their borders, but the Wardens’ abilities were highly sought after, making them a wealthy people. The temptation of claiming a portion of Aleirion’s rumored riches was enough that their borders suffered regular, if not numerous attacks. Most of the Wardens spent their lives there, training their young and guarding those who were suited to callings other than fighting.

Febrien’s parents were two such warriors. They helped patrol the borders of their territory and saw to it that Febrien and her brother, Devlin, had a secure place to grow and learn. She and her brother spent their days learning to hunt, to ride, and to navigate their sprawling forest home. In the tradition of most forest-born Elves, their village was sculpted from the very trees growing within the forest, and it was fashioned to gracefully blend in with the soaring forest giants that supported it. When Febrien and Devlin were old enough, their parents started teaching them to fight, along with their other lessons.

Devlin showed an early aptitude for magic, as their mother had, so he began studying spellcraft, while Febrien showed promise with a blade and an affinity toward the natural world. Her father oversaw her instruction, starting with training swords crafted and balanced for a youth to practice with, and eventually moving up to full longswords. She caught on to the flowing, intricate fighting style quickly, and when she was old enough, her father taught her how to use it in concert with her abilities and adapt it to mounted combat as well. Febrien had learned to ride and care for her parents’ unicorns from a young age, but now was the time to venture out and seek a partner of her own.

No common horse, no matter their intelligence, could hope to anticipate and match their rider’s actions, as was necessary for the Wardens’ fighting style. That was where their battle unicorns came in. They were the Elves’ partners and equals in all things, and when Febrien came of age, she was finally allowed to make the ritual journey deep into the forest and seek a partner. Not all children of the Tyr’istae were guaranteed to bond, since the unicorns could tolerate little in the way of pettiness, selfishness, and cruelty, but few ever returned alone. Those who failed to find a partner within the allotted year and a day seldom returned at all, unable to deal with the shame of their failure.

When she returned with a sleek, black mare named Kiera, there were those who wondered if it would have been better had she been one of the few to disappear forever. Though their battle steeds came in a wide array of the colors common to horses, black unicorns were very rare, and were viewed as an ill omen among her people. It was determined that she should be trained in the normal way, but though little was said outside of speculative whispers, Febrien’s village began to prepare for the worst. Even so, it still wasn’t enough to stop the Darkyn.

Whether their escape from their infernal plane was their own doing, or a summoning gone wrong, the unnatural creatures reveled in the lush, green paradise now open to them. Before anyone could attempt to banish them back to their home, they swept forth in a wave, cutting down all who were not strong enough to oppose them. They were incredibly difficult to kill through normal methods, and their line pushed steadily forward. As kingdoms outside their lands fell one by one, the Wardens withdrew, rallying their numbers in order to make their own stand. By the time the Darkyn horde reached their forest, nearly every Warden within three months’ ride of Aleirion had returned to defend it, turning a united front against their foe.

Armed with the wrath of the land itself, the Tyr’istae held their ground against the invading horde, though they lost a great many of their number in the process. Febrien was barely accomplished enough to even think of joining in the fighting, but as the Darkyn pushed forward, everyone took up arms in defense of their land, no matter how suited they were to battle. The young woman was grievously injured before the fighting was done, taking a blow to the chest that very nearly killed her, and still causes her trouble at times. By the time she fought her way back to consciousness, she was weak and drained, but alive. The Darkyn were in retreat, but the Wardens had taken heavy losses in the battle.

Most concerning to Febrien was the fact that the rest of her family had disappeared between the start of the attack and the time she regained consciousness. They’d been separated at some point, and no one could quite say where they’d ended up, though they hadn’t been identified among the dead. By the time she was well enough to travel, there was no trace of where they might have gone or been taken. With few other options, she returned to her home village, hoping they would eventually make their way back if they were still alive and hadn’t been captured. In their absence, her uncle Tiercel took up the task of overseeing her recovery and finishing her training.

As Aleirion spanned the only passage to the south, the Darkyn appeared to have been contained, for the time being. Over the following years, the Wardens discovered a handful of the Darkyns’ weaknesses and incorporated them into their blades. The Wardens knew it would only be a matter of time before they started pushing again, though, testing and trying to extend their reach. While the majority stayed to hold off the threat and help recoup their losses, the Tyr’istae eventually called for volunteers to venture out into the world again, seeking the cause of the Darkyns’ release and the means to imprison them once again. With the land still in turmoil and considering their own hardships and depleted numbers, the Wardens were no longer willing to settle into a kingdom’s employ, however, no matter how lucrative the pay.

When Febrien had completed her training, she was one of the first to volunteer, hoping to find some trace of her missing family along the way. Aleirion’s resources were still limited, so in addition to their goal, Febrien and Kiera took up adventuring, seeking jobs or items of value that would support their travels while looking for information on her quarry and their origin. Even fallen from their former renown, the Wardens’ reputation was still formidable, and there was generally plenty of work to be found, with a little travel. Not everyone was happy with them for withdrawing into isolation as the Darkyn advanced, claiming they’d abandoned the other races, but they also can’t deny that the Wardens are some of the few actively searching for a way to permanently stop the threat, now that it’s been contained. They have even discovered the source of their release, though they’re still no closer to figuring out how to close the rift.

Over the better part of the last century, Febrien has managed to make a decent name for herself in the lands surrounding her homeland. With the majority of her brethren scouring the North and the site of the Darkyn’s release, however, she has now extended her focus south to the Settled Lands, hoping to find something there that may otherwise be overlooked. Though it’s mostly unconscious, she’s also trying to overcome the stigma surrounding being bonded to a black unicorn and prove that they are merely symbols of tumultuous times, rather than omens of ill luck and death.

Powers and Limitations
» Elven Heritage: Like most of her kind, Febrien will not age or die of natural causes, and she tends to heal with little to no scarring as long as the injury was not caused by iron. Her senses are sharper than those of a human, and she is generally more athletic, agile, and stealthy as well. Like many of her kin, she can sense nearby Gates and pass through them at will, though she can only use them to step from one side of the veil to the other, rather than using the network to travel to another location altogether.

» Storm Warden: Storm Wardens are tied closely with the natural energy of the land, acting as both custodians and conduits. As such, Febrien can read and sense upcoming changes in the weather in addition to sensing, drawing on, and manipulating natural energy at will. Because she is functioning as an agent of the land, she cannot willfully choose to harm it with her abilities, and can only utilize their full extent if acting in its defense or for its wellbeing. This can be strenuous, however, and is subject to the condition of the energy she’s channeling, regardless of her intent.

Depending on the surrounding climate, natural energy can be scarce or difficult to control. Deserts and cold climates produce little energy, for instance, and she may become progressively more sluggish and inattentive in such places. Forest fires, on the other hand, release all the energy in an area at once, and storms produce an abundance of erratic energy. Trying to channel energy under these conditions may drain or weaken her as she struggles to control such large amounts of or such willful and unpredictable energy. Similarly, she will become very ill and drained in natural areas that have been tainted or depleted of their life energy, or in large, urban areas where she’s away from nature for too long.

Due in part to her Elven heritage and in part to being a Storm Warden and their close ties with animals, Febrien has an affinity toward natural creatures. This grants her a limited ability to understand them and a very limited ability to calm and safely interact with them. She generally cannot cause an animal to go against its nature or ignore threatening behavior, but if she isn’t doing anything to bother them, they generally won’t bother her.

» Bonded Rider: Febrien and Kiera can communicate and share energy through their special bond. Communication is the easier ability, of the two, though it is more difficult to reach each other reliably the farther they are from each other. To share energy, on the other hand, requires them to be quite close to each other or in direct physical contact. With as closely as their thoughts and life energies are intertwined, Febrien would risk madness or death if Kiera were ever killed, either from the loss, or from the shock of experiencing the trauma vicariously.

RP Sample
See Abigail Brennan

Player Info
Kalista again, revamping one of my characters.
Coded by Kalista for Istari
PM 
^
Arius
 Posted: Jan 12th 2016, 08:17 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
2179 Posts
N/A
N/A
N/A

Welcome to Istari! For full activation and site access, use the links above to add your new character to the Face Claims and Who Plays Who.

--------------------
user posted image
PM 
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic 

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.