Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Questions on magic and immortality
New Soul
 Posted: Nov 30th 2017, 10:39 AM
Quote Post
Played by
N/A Posts
N/A

Hi! I'm plodding through the lore, locations, existing characters and archives to get a feel of the setting and a few questions formed in my head, so here goes:

1. I understand that magic is far more common in Istari, but how far does this go? Is half the population gifted with magical qualities? More? Fewer? Should I envision a medieval/fantasy world where hardly any watermills or windmills exist, but rather some magical contraption using water and mind elementals? No blacksmith's furnace, but a trapped fire elemental melting down steel? Or would it be a more "typical" medieval/fantasy setting, medieval technology is the norm, supplemented by magic only occassionally, where there exists a large enough community of mages? Usually in the larger cities, not the smaller towns and villages.

2. A question on immortality: can you play immortal characters? Both "immortal to age and disease, but not violent deaths" and true immortal (endless respawn, immunity to death, etc.) Or is that something reserved for true Gods or a select few, proven players?

I realize these detailed questions are hard to answer, as settings such as these are often intentionally kept vague and open-ended to encourage player creativity. But I'm not looking for hard facts, just trying to understand what the current and previous players have been inclined to create, so that I can come up with a fitting character concept.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to creating together.
^
Kalista
 Posted: Nov 30th 2017, 09:48 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1009 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

Hello, Guest, thanks for stopping in!

To answer your first question, I wouldn't say half the population in Istari would be gifted with magical abilities, though I'd say at least half the population would be something other than human. It does use magic in place of technology for many things, so you might find a lot of people using it for things like cold storage or heated water in the house. I think caged fire elementals might be a little excessive in most places, but the rule of thumb would be the higher concentration of magic-users, the more fundamentals you might find replaced by magical conveniences (barring any sort of steam-punk contraptions).

That means that large cities who would attract a lot of different types of people would have a higher concentration of magical conveniences than small villages. Taking that a step further, the more wealthy or affluent the population, the more conveniences they could afford, just like how money and technology work on Earth. I'm afraid peasants will likely still be relying on root cellars and heating water the old fashioned way, for the most part. That said, communities of mages would naturally have a higher concentration of these conveniences than the general population, so if your character runs across any cities or even nations populated by mages, expect that percentage to be skewed way higher (though levels based on affluence and wealth would still exist within it).

As for your second question, we do also allow immortality and resurrection in various forms. Immunity to diseases and an unlimited lifespan unless they are killed by an outside force by specific means are fairly common, as with most vampires, werewolves, and elves. In regard to "true" immortals, that would depend largely on how the character was presented as a whole. Basically they may either need to be less skilled in combat or unlikely to cause serious trouble/pick fights, or they would need some stipulations as to how quickly or often they could respawn. Depending on how the rest of the character is presented and how well the player has already established themselves on the site, we may ask for a little more or allow fewer balancing aspects to be included. It really just depends on the whole picture, and depending on the character's personality and the extent of their invulnerability and ability to resurrect themselves, we might recommend something a little less involved for a new player.

If you're thinking about a "true" immortal for your first character, feel free to PM Arius or me or grab one of us in the cbox and run your idea past us. We'd be happy to let you know if it might be doable as a first character or help suggest some balancing measures, if needed.

I hope I've cleared everything up for you, but if I missed anything or you still have questions, let me know, and thanks again for taking the time to check us out!
PM 
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topic Start Poll

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.