Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic Start Poll

Remie Fallon, Descendant of Badb's Warriors
Remie Fallon
 Posted: Feb 25th 2016, 07:10 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
7 Posts
Straight
Single

User Group
Uniques
Sexuality
Straight
Occupation
Scout, Descendant of Badb’s Warriors
Aliases
None
Face Claim
Chyler Leigh
Remie Fallon
The crow on the cradle, the dark and the light
Somebody’s baby is born for a fight
The crow on the cradle, the white and the black
Somebody’s baby is not coming back
Physical Description
Remie stands about medium height, and while she couldn’t quite be called solid, she has enough muscle over her wiry frame to make her formidable in a fistfight. She keeps her hair cut in a chin-length, sleek pageboy, a style which she finds both functional and flattering. Honey-brown eyes highlight an expressive face, though she keeps her expression schooled and professional most of the time. She has quite a few scars, which tend to go hand-in-hand with her unconventional profession. Most of them are superficial, but a few are remnants of past serious injuries, one or two of which still give her trouble.

She also sports a pair of tattoos, both of which have special personal meaning to her. The larger of the two is a column of protective symbols and phrases, located on her lower back. These include the most common and effective protections she’s encountered, most of which are geared toward warding off harm from evil creatures and spirits. The second is on her shoulder, and shows a crow in flight, bracketed by the words “Find your adventure.”

Most of Remie’s wardrobe revolves around working or being ready to go to work on short notice. She prefers jeans or functional slacks, preferably with enough pockets to store a few necessities. She tends toward close-fitting shirts that won’t hamper her movement, whether she’s wearing long or short sleeves, and often dons light body armor while working. On the rare occasions that she has a chance to dress up, she favors sleek outfits with lines that complement her figure and make her look taller. Light materials are her favorite, and she likes flowing sleeves and necklines with a hint of tasteful jewelry. No matter her wardrobe, though, she always keeps some sort of weapon close at hand – just in case.

» Loud music and a good pair of headphones

» Traveling, especially by air

» Crows

» Whiskey or beer with friends

» Betting and poker

» The spillover from being around Gates

» Spending time with her brother and decompressing

» Jogging

» Musicals and show tunes (guilty pleasure)

» Junk food, especially burgers

» Scars with good stories behind them

Dislikes
» Being lied to, getting the “company line”

» Being excluded or belittled because of her gender

» Playing the bait

» Being forced to take medication

» Kids or civilians getting hurt

» Shrinks

» People pegging her as OCD because of her “superstitious” behavior

» Slurs aimed at race or sexuality

» Enclosed spaces

» Sharp movements or furtive behavior

» Sleep paralysis (hypnagogia)

» Feeling helpless

» Falling prey to some predestined, genetic fate

» Mystical shit

Strengths
» Not easily fazed

» Well trained in physical combat and using firearms

» Honest, tells it to you straight

» Used to operating in high-stress situations with limited resources

» Compassionate

» Growing knowledge of supernatural creatures

» Competent and dependable

Weaknesses
» Often operates with little to no backup

» Stubborn and can be hotheaded when not working

» Lack of formal training regarding otherworldly creatures

» Confined spaces make her nervous and tense

» Often gets little sleep while on the road

» “Superstitious,” sometimes to the point of appearing OCD

» Is a normal human and has no special defenses

» Suffers from occasional bouts of hypnagogia and night terrors

» Is usually recovering from injuries of various severity

» Has to learn a lot of things on the fly

» Has a few old injuries that still give her trouble

» Is fighting things that are generally stronger and faster than her

» Stoic, tries to mask her compassion with bravado

» Doesn’t really know the specifics of what she is or what she can do

Goals
» Limit loss of life from rogue creatures

» Keep her family in the dark about the details of her job

» Keep herself and her teammates alive

» Help non-hostile creatures find a place to fit in

» Appear as normal as possible

Fears
» Losing another partner

» Screwing up when someone’s life is on the line

» Something following her on a visit home

» Monsters attacking or messing with her while she’s sleeping

» Being thrown into a mental institution

Personality
On the outside, Remie is everything you’d expect from a typical soldier. She learned a long time ago that it was safest to keep her emotions under wraps, and she generally plays things close to the vest until she feels comfortable with someone. She’s good at deflecting comments that hit a little too close to home or making a joke and brushing things off to keep people from digging too deeply. She still doesn’t quite trust her new position, and she’s terrified of ending up in a mental institute. It was bad enough that she was branded with “mild obsessive-compulsive tendencies” as a child; if the wrong people heard her talking about “monsters” and “other worlds,” a diagnosis of schizophrenia would be sure to follow, and there would go her freedom, let alone her career. She’d be drugged up and drooling again in a heartbeat.

One thing she can’t always keep under control is her temper, usually stemming from her compassion for others. After failing to live up to her father’s expectations and seeing her brother bullied for being himself, she can’t help but stick up for others. She often felt alone and excluded as a child, eventually coming to feel like she was alone against the world. This attitude developed into a hot temper and a sharp tongue, and though she’s gained self esteem and become much better adjusted to her unusual lot in life, she’s still not afraid to use them. She hates seeing people in pain, especially if that pain is being caused by another human being.

When she was younger, sports were a good outlet for her temper, and for her budding warrior instincts. Had she been born a few centuries earlier, she would’ve been put into training and given a direction and purpose. As it was, she had to settle for jogging and as many full contact sports as she could get away with. Later, her military training helped teach her some much-needed control. That, together with a new environment and people who don’t judge her on her past, have helped mellow her out. She’s judged on her own merits and doesn’t have to constantly defend herself. This allows her fun loving, compassionate side to show through, and though she still tends to take time to warm up to people, she no longer feels like it’s her against the world.

History
Centuries ago, the warrior goddess Badb (pronounced BIDE) and her two sisters were charged with protecting what is now Ireland and her peoples. In that golden age, humans lived peacefully alongside all manner of fey folk, but invaders were always a danger to the lush land. Human armies sought to conquer it for their own, and not everything that came through the Gates was benevolent. Their followers fought bravely, but they were not always a match for the monsters that beset them, and the three sisters couldn’t be everywhere at once. To give their charges an edge against these invaders and to help them stand on their own, Badb and her sisters each gifted their own group of chosen warriors a small extension of their power.

Badb’s warriors – all female – received the ability to intuit a monster’s traits and weaknesses, which would eventually help them determine how something could be beaten or killed. As their strength and abilities grew, monsters would eventually be drawn to them, her warriors acting as a lightning rod against things that would otherwise focus their attention on the innocent. She didn’t want these human warriors turning on all otherworldly creatures with their newfound abilities, however, and so she also instilled in them compassion and the ability to judge a creature’s intentions before condemning it. Her function as a warrior goddess also associated her closely with death, but she had no tolerance for slaughter caused by infighting among those she was bound to protect.

The last of Badb’s gifts bestowed a lesser version of her ability to affect those around her. Allies were calmed or rallied after a few words from her warriors, while nearby enemies were struck with confusion or fear in the face of their battle cries. After all, they were few against many, and may one day have need of an army at their backs. With these powers came the drive for her warriors to push themselves and protect others; in return for their abilities, she expected service. Even when their cause was eventually lost to time, thus were these abilities passed down through their female heirs…

Remie was a normal child in all regards before her abilities started to manifest. Her paternal relatives all gravitated toward vocations involving military or public service, and most of them tended to be fairly high strung. Her father, a retired military officer, was no exception, though Badb’s gifts usually only fully awakened in the females of the line. Remie was the older of his two children, and though her dad loved her very much, he was relieved that their second child was a son. He was proud of his military service, and he was hoping that his son might follow in his footsteps. Though she never won as much attention as her brother, Nicky, in those early years, she was happy enough being daddy’s little girl.

She had just turned seven when the strange things started happening. The doctors could find nothing wrong with her, but Remie was suddenly restless and quick to anger, and it was all her parents could do to contain her. What’s more, after several months of this, she started having night terrors, screaming about monsters and proving inconsolable for hours. She started “making up” little mantras and rituals to keep the monsters away while she was sleeping, going so far as to hide charms or draw symbols around any room where she slept – including on the walls.

She had no way of knowing that these were prompts from her newfound abilities, or that many of these safeguards actually worked. Her parents tried everything to break her of this alarming habit, but she would panic and become enraged whenever they attempted to stop her. That’s when the shrinks got involved. After that, it was a never-ending carousel of medications intended to fix her. In reality, all they did was sedate her, leaving her barely alert enough to accomplish her basic schoolwork.

It wasn’t until her father’s aunt visited unexpectedly that things started to look up for her. The eccentric old woman – never on the best of terms with Remie’s father – was appalled at her condition and immediately arranged to speak with him about it. Remie can recall little of what was actually said, but she remembers hearing the massive argument between them. She was forbidden to speak to her great-aunt after that, aside from one, lengthy heart-to-heart before she left, but the medications disappeared, and Remie gradually started regaining her life and personality. She had learned her lesson. While she still had occasional trouble with night terrors, she kept her nightly rituals secret, and no more was said about monsters, even if she knew they were real.

Vigorous activity seemed to blunt her restlessness and her temper, and she started pushing her parents to let her enroll in sports of every kind – the rougher, the better. Girls weren’t allowed on the boxing or wrestling teams, which she thought was a stupid rule, but the local YMCA offered various self defense courses, and she soaked up everything she could learn. She worked hard at her studies for two reasons; first, so she would never have to worry about her eligibility keeping her from participating in the school’s sports teams, and second, so she wouldn’t give her parents reason to find fault with her again. More than anything, she was terrified of being forced to take the debilitating medications again or – worse yet – end up in an asylum.

Luckily, once Remie figured out how to work off her temper and control her instincts, she mellowed out considerably. She still had one hell of an Irish temper when wronged, but most of the other students found her likeable and easy to talk to. The fact that she excelled at sports certainly didn’t hurt her reputation, and as her few remaining oddities were mostly easy to conceal, she found herself making friends and socializing more. Sleepovers and class trips that included overnight stays took more work, but for the most part, she had learned how to make herself look and act normal. Even when she started sensing something a little off about a particular person or place, she brushed it off and tried to convince herself that there was nothing wrong.

Nicky was the only one who’d ever believed her, anyway, and he was just relieved to have his big sister back again. As he grew older, he was starting to show interest in things their father found… unmanly, and now that Remie seemed to have settled down, aside from lingering bouts of night terrors, he was free to turn his attention toward turning Nicky into the sort of man he thought he should be. He was athletic and enjoyed sports, which was fine, but his penchant for baking was somewhat concerning, and his love of singing and musicals was downright alarming. Neither child seemed able to wholly satisfy their father, so in the end they had to stick together and stand up for each other.

The argument that sparked after Nick risked their father’s wrath and came out about his sexuality nearly rivaled the one that had taken place with their great-aunt. Nick and her father fought often, after that, and it was Remie’s turn to support him through a difficult period. She often stuck up for him once his preferences became public knowledge, especially since it was because of something he had no control over. Nick had always been charismatic and fairly popular, though, and his caring and upbeat demeanor gained him more friends than he lost during the ordeal.

He and their father never did fully reconcile, even when Nick eventually enlisted, but he and his sister remained close. She had enlisted two years before, but they wrote each other frequently, and she called whenever she could. In truth, though she was excelling in the physical demands required of the military and proved to be a competent soldier with sound instincts, she was struggling. While the constant challenges and exercise kept her temper and restlessness in check, the unusual people she tried to ignore now seemed to be actively seeking her out.

What really shook her were that some of them now seemed intent on harming her, and the abilities they exhibited were occasionally noted by others. Her fascination with the supernatural had given her names for what she thought had just been internal fancies; werewolf, vampire, demon – regardless of what her head told her, she’d spent years convincing herself that it was all just made up and should be ignored. To realize that there might be some truth to everything she’d read and researched shook the foundation of her belief. Nick always had a way of making things sound reasonable and calming her down, and he was a major part of her decision to stay put.

Remie gradually learned to trust her instincts and started to relax as the years went on, eventually attaining the rank of Sergeant. Her unit’s tendency for having a high encounter rate and the fact that she held nothing back when the chips were down gave her a bit of a reputation as a hothead that went looking for trouble, but those who served with her generally found her decision making to be resourceful and down-to-earth under pressure. She also had a way of settling those around her that was invaluable in a crisis. Still, even occasional encounters with unnatural creatures could take their toll on a unit, and they suffered heavy losses from time to time. She felt directly responsible for every casualty caused by something supernatural, but she didn’t know how to make it stop, and again she felt herself floundering.

She hit her lowest point after a particularly brutal altercation left her and half her squad out of action. When the brass showed up in her recovery room, she thought everything was over. She was convinced that they’d found some way to pin the events on her, whether or not she was functioning under the command of a commissioned officer. The last thing she expected to hear was that she was being scouted for a mixed-species division called Basic Force. The strange events and encounters that surrounded her had not gone unnoticed, and they wanted to see what she could do with the proper training and resources.

Remie was equal parts thrilled and terrified, but she saw no way to turn down their offer after she recovered from her initial period of denial. She couldn’t continue on as she had been, and things would only get worse if she tried to go back to civilian life, now that she was on the supernatural radar in a bad way. With few viable alternatives, she agreed to take the transfer once she had recovered, heading back to the States for orientation and retraining. It was the best decision Remie ever made. Here was a place where no one thought she was crazy, and while there were no others that were quite like her, they at least understood her.

She spent the next several months being formally trained on Istari, otherworldly races, and how best to engage them, given her lack of enhanced physical abilities. They also assessed her abilities, trying to get at least a baseline idea of what she could do and how it worked. She learned that the strange, off areas she’d been drawn to were actually Gates into this previously unknown realm, and that many of her suspicions about the strange people she encountered were actually correct. She’s now functioning with a basic understanding of her powers, and the more she studies and engages those of an otherworldly origin, the more quickly and reliably they function.

She spent the first year or two assigned to a unit, but due to her particular skill set, she has since been assigned as an advance scout. She’s been permanently assigned to the States, since her abilities seem to work best on her home turf, and when trouble is suspected near one of the known Gates there, a scout is assigned to investigate and report in. She can often resolve minor issues on her own, and if it turns out to be more than she can handle, she can usually figure out what’s needed and arrange for help.

Not all the creatures she encounters are hostile or willfully malicious, however. Some just need to be directed back through to the proper side of the Gates, and others are just lost and afraid. Part of her job is also to arrange for assistance for those creatures who wish to stay on Earth, or even recommend them to Basic Force, if their temperament and abilities could prove useful. She’s found that now that she understands her abilities better, she enjoys meeting and helping those who are unusual and also have trouble fitting in.

In many ways, it’s more dangerous than when she was operating in an untrained capacity, but at least working alone or with a partner means there’s less chance of causing casualties. She’s since unearthed some information on her family’s unusual history as well, and while she rebels at the idea of falling prey to some sort of predestined calling, she can’t deny that she enjoys what she’s doing. Every situation is different, and every one is a challenge. She’s determined to try and make the most of what she’s been given while still making her own way. She doesn’t realize that her current role is almost identical to how her long ago ancestors functioned, but really, that’s probably for the best.

Powers and Limitations
» Unnatural Affinity: Supernatural Knowledge: Remie can sense Gates and has an uncanny penchant for remembering myths, legends, and lore in addition to an instinctual knowledge of preternatural creatures and their traits. The older, more powerful, or adept at disguising itself the creature is, the longer it takes for her innate knowledge to kick in, aside from an instinct as to what she should or shouldn’t do around them. She must also have encountered a creature before or have a passing knowledge of their general species, or it takes significantly longer for her powers to start filling in the blanks. The more she learns about a particular species, the faster she’ll be able to identify others of its race in the future. This ability also helps her sense whether someone has evil motives or intent, though it tends to be less accurate on other humans. Of course, that goes both ways; if something recognizes her divine heritage before she knows there’s a monster around, they could very well turn the tables on her. As her abilities have grown and she’s becomes more capable, monsters have even started to recognize her as a fellow predator or a threat, instigating a wide variety of reactions.

If she continues to stay in close proximity to a monster but ignores the urge to investigate, she starts to feel more and more restless or on edge; like there’s something important that she’s forgotten or hasn’t done. While sleeping, this sense can mutate into producing nightmares, night terrors, or bouts of hypnagogia (sleep paralysis accompanied by intense, dream-like states bordering on hallucinations). When ghosts are involved, it takes either a powerful or large concentration of lingering spirits to set off this extrasensory alarm, but with no clear target for it, it generally proves more of a hindrance than a benefit at those times. This ability and the insecurities it can produce are also what drive her to protect herself using various sigils and symbols she’s found through her research.

Lightning Rod: Badb infused her ancestor’s bloodline with the power to become protectors of humanity. As such, they were also meant to attract the attention of those who would harm innocents, drawing that attention onto themselves until such creatures could be identified, and their intentions made clear. Preternatural creatures within approximately half a mile of her are gradually drawn to her presence, though they may not know why. This impulse can be ignored, but will gradually grow stronger the longer a creature is in close proximity. The older and more powerful the creature, the easier it is to ignore, though some may decide to keep an eye on her, or even attack, if they feel threatened by it. Once she has interacted with a creature at least once, the impulse will start to fade, before gradually disappearing altogether. For her part, Remie generally feels restless or on edge when a creature that hasn’t been investigated or identified is in close proximity; like there’s something important that she’s forgotten or hasn’t done. While sleeping, this sense can mutate into producing nightmares, night terrors, or bouts of hypnagogia (sleep paralysis accompanied by intense, dream-like states bordering on hallucinations).

» Warrior: While Remie’s abilities give her no physical enhancements, Badb didn’t want her warriors to be completely without defenses, should they lack the proper tools to deal with a threat or should they require aid from others. Remie has a natural talent for settling those around her after speaking to them, or rallying their spirits, if they’re flagging. Her yell can also startle, unnerve, or confuse nearby opponents, if her heart’s in it. She’s driven to push herself and keep herself in shape, which manifested in sparring and playing various full-contact sports before she joined the armed forces. If repeatedly denied an outlet, this energy will generally translate to frustration and may lead to outbursts of temper.

RP Sample
See Abigail Brennan

Player Info
It’s Kalista again. This is the last one, I swear!
Coded by Kalista for Istari

This post has been edited by Remie Fallon: Jul 2nd 2017, 11:19 AM
PM 
^
Arius
 Posted: Mar 31st 2016, 07:18 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Arius
2204 Posts
N/A
N/A
N/A

Welcome to Istari! For full activation and site access, use the links above to add your new character to the Face Claims and Who Plays Who.

--------------------
user posted image
PM 
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic Start Poll

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.