Our Community

Females

Males

Total Characters
Kalista
Well met! I’m Kalista, and I co-admin Istari with my husband, Arius. We've run a few other sites together, from an old west Supernatural roleplay to a Tron Legacy board, but Istari is our first original creation. It was originally adapted as a D&D campaign setting for a group of friends, but I always loved the idea of mixing magic and technology to get both a classic and urban fantasy feel. I still enjoy playing tabletop D&D, but these days I tend to spend more time on writing and online roleplay.

Along with avid writing comes avid reading, and I always have at least one book going. I tend to bounce back and forth between urban or high fantasy and science fiction, but I also enjoy crime novels and a handful of the classics. I also love gaming on the Playstation and Nintendo 3DS. I love a wide variety of games, but the original Mass Effect trilogy is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I tend to be online from midday to late evening, depending on my work schedule, and I usually lurk throughout the day. I love working with coding and graphics, so if you’re having trouble with something or have questions about the setting, feel free to message me or hop into the chat box. I’m always open to feedback, and I hope you enjoy playing in Istari as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!

Arius
Heyla! I'm Arius, one of the admins here on Istari, and Kalista's lucky husband. I love writing (obviously), especially horror, fantasy, and sci fi, though I've been known to dabble in poetry and even fanfiction in the past. Though I don't seem to find the time for them as much as I used to, I enjoy playing games, both video and tabletop, and if I'm not around on the site it's probably because I'm playing my PS4 or 3DS.

I'm a great devourer of all sorts of literature, from high fantasy epics to dry historical tales, from fiction to non-fiction, and even comic books, which I have a huge passion for. I co-own a small comic shop in my hometown, which is something of a dream come true for me, and I've been collecting and reading comics and graphic novels since I was about five years old.

I'm usually around in the evenings to answer questions, play in the cbox, or even just shoot the breeze, so feel free to hit me up if you ever need anything!

Kay
Hey there! I’m Kay, Istari's moderator, and it’s nice to meet you! I’ve been roleplaying and writing for more than ten years and have been playing on Istari for about the whole time that it’s been open. I’ve known Kali and Arius for almost ten years now and actually got my online handler name from Arius. I’m a frequent writer and I do get distracted relatively easily as I’m always on social media sites. But currently I’ve been distracted with watching TV shows.

I’m an avid TV watcher ranging from Supernatural all the way to anime and nostalgia TV shows. Currently I’ve gotten myself stuck on Gargoyles. I’m also a classic anime fan, I’ve seen some of the newer animes, but the classics are my favorite. I’m also into a lot of superhero movies and horror movies, but movies in general are the things that I’m doing if I’m not writing.

I used to be a night owl, but given my 4am work schedule, I can be found lurking around here at high noon to about early evening, I’m a lurker so there will always definitely be someone there to answer your questions! Welcome to Istari!

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/KalistaMoonwolf/Istari/BannerPrototype17_zps35f9d820.png

Closed Topic Start new topic 

Boston Winters, Handyman
Boston Winters
 Posted: Dec 23rd 2017, 06:22 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Zombie
5 Posts
bisexual
single

User Group
Mortals
Sexuality
Bisexual
Occupation
Handyman
Aliases
Bossa
Face Claim
Garrett Hedlund
Boston James Winters
How can we both pick sides, when we know nothing’s right?
Open up the door that’s shut.
How can I have my pride and drink away my soul tonight?
Sorrow’s filling up my cup
Physical Description
Boston is tall, standing at nearly 6’4, and lean muscle from years of manual labor. He comes from Midwest stock, meaning he is generally a mutt between Scandinavian, German, and Irish background. As such, he has the dirty blonde hair that appears lighter in the summer months and darker during the cold months, and light skin that becomes darker in summer associated with that genetic background, including eyes that fluctuate between gray and blue-gray. He tends to keep his hair shorter in the summers to help stay cooler, though it is always a certain level of shaggy no matter the length. His face and shoulders bear a smattering of freckles from the hot Midwest summers. Boston has a long, narrow nose, full lips, and can frequently be seen with bags under his eyes from lack of sleep or a full work schedule. He has no piercings or tattoos and does not plan on getting any.

» Cigarettes

» Alcohol

» Snow

» Breakfast food

» Attractive men and women

» Sleeping in

» Baggy sweaters

» Cherries

» Feeling needed

» War movies

Dislikes

» Cigars

» Strawberries

» Sweet drinks

» Deep water

» Anyone who messes with his family

» Fish

» Handouts

» Pity

» Sugary coffee

» Being sweaty

» Romantic movies

» Extreme cold

Strengths
» Persistent

» Loyal

» Honest

» Family-oriented

» Dependable

» Intelligent

Weaknesses
» Abandonment

» Blunt

» Stubborn

» Prideful

» Hates asking for help

» Strawberry allergy

» Alcoholic (won’t admit it)

Goals
» Get full custody of his siblings

» Own his own home

» Live his own life

» Go back to school

Fears
» Snakes

» Spiders

» Being abandoned or left behind

» Not being needed by others

Personality
Boston comes off as standoffish and a bit grumpy to those he does not know, but to his family and friends, he is much warmer and more welcoming. That is not to say that he readily gives every bit of himself to someone: Boston is slow to trust and is careful to keep a couple of secrets to himself. He has some very deep abandonment issues from losing so many people in his life, not to mention his less-than-stellar childhood. Because of this rough and tumble past, he is slow to trust and finds it extremely difficult to open up about himself. By nature, Boston is a fixer and is much more comfortable helping others than admitting he needs help.

Under a very tough exterior, Boston is actually pretty intelligent. His favorite stories as a boy were those of King Arthur and his knights, and his television is usually stuck on the History Channel, so he is a bit of a secret nerd. Boston lives a very modest life and scrapes for money most of the time, but he is the sort of person who would give the shirt off of his back to someone in need if he felt they deserved it or really needed it and would ask for nothing in return. A bit quiet and reserved, he is the sort that prefers to sit and listen to a conversation rather than be the center of attention.

Compassionate and a secret softie though he may be, Boston does not mess around when it comes to enemies—especially if anyone dares to mess with his brothers or sisters, whom he calls his kids and has raised practically from day one. Boston had a harsh childhood and did some very unsavory and even dangerous things to keep himself and his siblings alive. Because of this, he does have a tough exterior and does not let people in to his life very easily. He learned too many hard lessons has learned that people are often not what they seem. Protective of himself and his siblings, Boston will do whatever it takes to make sure that those he cares about are taken care of. If someone hurts one of his family members or friends, he will do whatever it takes to make sure that that person pays in some way.

History
Boston is a Chicago boy, born and bred. The oldest of his numerous siblings, Boston was the first child and son of Frank and Sophia Winters. His father, Frank, had always been proud of being born and raised in Chicago, claiming his family had been there for as long as the city had been a city at all. A hardened drug abuser and a horrific alcoholic, Frank had a habit of disappearing for days or weeks on end when he went on benders; by the time Boston was seven, he knew that he should not expect Frank to be home when he got back from school, and if he was, he was most likely sleeping it off for another night of hard partying.

His mother was little better. A manic-depressive schizophrenic, Sophia had grown up in a very abusive home and despite claiming to love her children, she, too would disappear without warning. She refused to take her medications, claiming that they made her a zombie instead of the free spirit she was, and she was in and out of Boston’s life for as long as he could remember. By the time he was in high school, Boston could say that his mother had been out of his life more than in it; she usually hung around long enough to have another kid, promise to be back to raise that child and be the mother she knew she could be, and then disappear again, sometimes for years at a stretch. With both of his parents pulling these consistent inconsistencies in his life, Boston developed a very deep-seated abandonment issue, one he harbors to this day.

The worst that it got was when his second sibling, Dallas, was three and became so sick he would not stop screaming and had developed a dangerous fever. With his mother no where to be found and his father on a bender, Boston had to find a way to the clinic to get his brother help. Because of his fever and lack of immediate care, Dallas became severely mentally and physically handicapped and Boston, who considered himself Dallas’s care taker, learned for the first time that his parents were not to be trusted or relied upon. He was ten.

This was the first of many times that CPS was called to the Winters home. After an investigations, CPS put Boston and his brother in to foster care while his parents were forced to take parenting classes on top of remaining sober for a year in order to get the kids back into their custody. Boston never thought it would happen, and was not sure he wanted to go back to his parents after what had happened to Dallas. However, the home he and his brother were placed in was little better than their home life. Abusive and neglectful, Boston's foster parents showed very little compassion or care for either boy, but afraid of being placed in another home (that he had no idea if it would be worse or better), Boston shut his mouth and took the brunt of the punishments to spare Dallas any more harm. He longed to return to the only home he had known, to a chaos he had grown up in and therefore knew how to combat.

It was almost a year and a half later that his parents completed the required classes and length of sobriety, and Boston and Dallas were allowed to go back home with supervision. The social worker helped his parents fill out the paperwork necessary to receive government assistance for Dallas's ongoing care and made a checklist of requirements, like enrolling Boston in school and making sure he avoided truancy. To Boston's surprise, things seemed to be looking up and for about a year it looked like his parents had finally shaped up. He should have known it would never last.

His mother was the first to relapse. Boston came home from school when he was thirteen to find her passed out on the floor, drug paraphernalia all around her. As sick as he was at the sight, he still helped wake her up and then clean up the evidence before the case worker could see. He hated that she was slipping back to her old ways, but he hated the idea of foster care again even more. It was not long after that that Boston saw his father with the familiar beer bottle in hand, and he knew that the changes his parents had made had been temporary at best, a show for the social services people to get custody back. Boston played along, lying to the CPS worker whenever she came over to check on them, saying that things were much better and that his parents were more involved. His father had gotten a job, but he had been injured and lived on workman's compensation, thought Boston knew he had gotten hurt on purpose to avoid actually working. His father had done it before, and Boston would always say his father was "born tired", always too lazy to stick with a real job that got in the way of his drinking. His mother was in and out, as usual, playing mom when she was around and then disappearing again without so much as a word of good-bye. Boston and his father would tell CPS that his parents were separated and that his mother was trying to get help for her mental illness to cover her tracks.

By the time he was in high school, Boston had four siblings to look after. With his lies and his parents' acts of changed parents, CPS closed the case when he was fifteen, coming by a couple of times a year to help fill out aid assistance for Dallas. With the help of a few neighbors he trusted and had grown up around, Boston managed to get to school fairly regularly and knew that Dallas and his younger siblings were at least being fed and looked after. In exchange for his neighbor's help, Boston would regularly help them around the house or their yard, run errands for them, and help any chance he could in order to pay them back.

Balancing a school schedule on top of playing stand-in parent to avoid anyone being put into foster care again finally became too difficult to manage. By his senior year, he dropped out of school to find work and take care of his siblings. His mother, who had been gone for nearly two years at that time, appeared again and spent two years at home where she attempted to play mother, but with her unstable mental condition, she was more of a hindrance than a help. Boston found work in odd jobs that he could work and basically kept his head down and nose to the grindstone to get by. The running joke of the family was that all the kids were named after places their parents had conceived them, though Boston personally felt like it was just some sick joke his parents liked to play.

Boston lives in his family home in Chicago, where he is currently looking after Dallas and two of his youngest siblings, the youngest being three and the older being eleven. Having had enough of worrying about his father and mother being part of their lives in any positive way, Boston went to court to get custody of his youngest siblings, where he was awarded primary guardianship after turning twenty-five. He has not seen his mother since she dropped off her last child with her empty promises, and his father still comes in and out of their lives with no sense of regularity. Boston works hard to keep his fragile family together and tends to continue to put himself last and everyone else first, and while he plans to get his GED and maybe do some college classes, he has not set any dates for achieving his personal dreams.

Powers and Limitations
None

RP Sample
Zephyr Yoren, Rykar Turacson, Fyre

Player Info
It’s Zombie. Again. I have a problem ><
Coded by Kalista for Istari
PM 
^
Kalista
 Posted: Dec 30th 2017, 12:12 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1008 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

Hey Zombie, welcome back to the review process! Boston looks pretty good overall, and I really only have one question in regards to his history.

I'm just wondering where social services would've been in all this, or if there was someone helping out in terms of enrolling the kids in school and getting them there and back. I'm also wondering why there wouldn't have been an investigation after he managed to get his brother to the hospital, especially if it resulted in such severe and permanent damage. How were they able to take care of such a severely handicapped child, and where did they get the money?

Let me know when you've had a chance to flesh that area out a little more, and I'll take another look!
PM 
^
Boston Winters
 Posted: Jan 3rd 2018, 09:40 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Zombie
5 Posts
bisexual
single

Bumpity.
PM 
^
Kalista
 Posted: Jan 7th 2018, 12:23 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
Played by Kalista
1008 Posts
Undisclosed
Married

Well done, Boston looks MUCH better this time around!
PM 
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options  Closed Topic Start new topic 

Logged in as Guest ( )

Istari is proudly listed at:
RPG-D    Shadowplay  Candyland Couture 

Site skin by Skye at Shine, Caution and CC.